Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:38 pm

Author Topic: what is the difference between a fazer 600 99/00 ignition switch and a 2003 mode  (Read 943 times)

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hi everyone newbie here,

Not sure if this is the right place to post so apologies in advance. I have a 2003 fazer fzs 600 and my ignition swith has been attacked by some undesirables! Long story short I can insert the key but have to wiggle and twist before it will turn and I get my dash lights, unfortunately with the engine running I can now remove the key from the ignition switch!( some what dangerous).

My question is I have been looking at the earlier model of the fazer 600's fzs ignition switch and they only have 6 wires where as my model the 03 version has 7. Looking at the wiring diagrams it appears that on the later models the addition wire(Brown) independently feeds the fuse? Can anyone please tell me are the earlier model ignition switches interchangeable with the later models or am I going to have to take out a mortgage to by a genuine part as the later model switchs are impossible to get hold of second hand.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
( some what dangerous).
Not dangerous as you can use the kill switch to stop the engine but you might want to take the key out and stick it in your pocket before you ride anywhere.

My question is I have been looking at the earlier model of the fazer 600's fzs ignition switch and they only have 6 wires where as my model the 03 version has 7. Looking at the wiring diagrams it appears that on the later models the addition wire(Brown) independently feeds the fuse? Can anyone please tell me are the earlier model ignition switches interchangeable with the later models or am I going to have to take out a mortgage to by a genuine part as the later model switchs are impossible to get hold of second hand.

You appear to have answered your own question there. IIRC, the locks are interchangeable but you may need to change the plug on the end of the cable. and join/split a wire as per the diagram.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Hi

Many thanks for your reply.