Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:18 am

Author Topic: Rivetting new cam chain  (Read 1444 times)

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Rivetting new cam chain
« on: 04 April 2018, 06:21:44 pm »
Guys I'm right there in the danger zone.

After taking everything to bits (first time I ever took some cams off!) and successfully pulling the new chain through using the old one, I'm at the last hurdle before the re-build.

After reading previous threads and watching some videos whilst I was being paid to do my normal job, I ended up purchasing this fine chain breaker. It's done well so far until now when I have to put the rivet link in. It's as though it doesn't have the correct fitting to rivet over the new pins. Basically it's too big and all the suitable parts have grooves or holes in the wrong places which means too much pressure is applied to the adjacent links and they go stiff.

My question is this, does the DID chain rivet link NEED to be rivetted/peened over after getting it through the link? It looks kind of secure but I'd like some second opinions. Maybe there is another technique to rivet these links together?

Cheers

daviee

Re: Rivetting new cam chain
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2018, 06:44:29 pm »
in a word yes you can do it with a hammer and a metal block at the back of it it dont take much but need done

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2018, 08:23:29 pm »
So just to check I have the right technique. A decent sized lump hammer on the back of the rivet link and then with a smaller and more precise hammer 2? Good taps on the opposing side.

This might be a stupid question but how do i know if its well peened over?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2018, 09:12:52 pm »
If you measure the diameter of the soft link, then after a couple of whacks remeasure it. If it was a rear chain I would think •5mm increase was good enough. There was a post quite recently where a list of various chain sizes, the soft link diameter, and the required diameter of a  safely peened soft link. Quite useful but can't remember if it included cam chains.

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2018, 09:56:40 pm »
Cheers Daviee and Robbo. I'll crack on with that technique. I have some decent gauging calipers arriving tomorrow so I can measure the peen and then button everything up and enjoy the summer.

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2018, 08:03:44 pm »
cool ive done a good few in the past that way never had one fail

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2018, 08:49:06 pm »

I ended up purchasing this fine chain breaker. It's done well so far until now when I have to put the rivet link in.

I bought one of these and it lasted 1 attempt at riveting a DID chain. Something snapped, cant remember which component. I had better luck with a Bergen branded one.  good luck.

GC