Date: 16-04-24  Time: 05:28 am

Author Topic: Centre Stand  (Read 2235 times)

Freddie136

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Centre Stand
« on: 29 March 2018, 08:42:56 pm »
Hi, I have got a centre Stand for my Fazer 600, not sure what position it should be in when stand is up, did not have a stand when i bought it, last owner put new exaust and silencer on so must have took old one off. Tried new stand on but ruber stop on stand makes it look a bit low does any one have a photo of bike with stand in up position so i can compare please, also whats best way to fit the spring to stand, looks a pig to pull on, thanks. bike is a 2002.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2018, 08:48:34 pm »
Can’t help with a photo but one way to stretch the spring is to put washers / coins between each coil. Or the other way I use is locking wire doubled up and pull on using pliers. Either way be careful not to trap your fingers!

daviee

« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2018, 09:00:04 pm »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2018, 05:27:30 am »
It's actually very easy to put the centre stand on.
Once you've hooked the spring in place, put one of the bolts in on one side then you simply pull the stand over to the other side and stick the other bolt in.
There's hardly any effort at all involved.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2018, 07:24:07 am »
Mine is getting hard to put on the centre stand, I'm guessing it might be warped.  I take it remove is just a case of removing the bolts either side and then taking the spring off?
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2018, 08:04:44 am »
Mine is getting hard to put on the centre stand, I'm guessing it might be warped.  I take it remove is just a case of removing the bolts either side and then taking the spring off?

No, just the reverse of above, once one bolt is undone and removed it will all make sense.

They do have a bad habit of corroding then eventually bending out of shape. Having trouble putting the bike on the stand is a sure sign, and when i took my old one off it was only then that i could really see how twisted it was. You can't really spot it being out of shape when it's still fitted.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2018, 08:19:07 am »
Harry if you think you need one then snap this one up, because they're starting to become a bit rare, and it looks in pretty decent nick to me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-RJ02-Hauptstander-center-Stand-xg514/132523007495?hash=item1edafc9e07:g:hb0AAOSwK7pamG4O

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2018, 01:02:02 pm »
You can weld, or get welded two pieces of flat steel 1" X 1/8th on to the legs either side of the centre brace,  with a weld a loop on one side for the stand return spring, it will be stronger than it was when new.
Water somehow gets into that area and rots the brace
« Last Edit: 30 March 2018, 01:03:05 pm by tommyardin »

Freddie136

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2018, 07:51:34 pm »
Thank you to every one that replied, regards Fred.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2018, 11:40:53 pm »

it took both me and my father to get mine on the center stand with some difficulty - it came off about 10 mins after i put on the paddock stand
i think i still have it laying under a bench so might straighten it out at some point in the future

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2018, 11:05:41 am »
It's usually possible to repair the stand unless it's too far gone. Rather than welding on two plates it's better to get a piece of mild steel tube of a decent thickness and replace the mid piece. A slight bend in the tube and a bit of a squish at the ends is all it needs. Make sure you use a fixture to keep the stand in shape, otherwise applying heat can make it buckle even worse. I used a large screwed rod through the fitting holes and tack welded a flat bar at the feet to keep it all square.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2018, 11:18:23 am »
I have never found putting it on the centre stand completely smooth and effortlessly. I have the correct technique, my stand is good but I just don't think the stand is perfectly designed or in the optimum position, look at some of the massive gold wing type bikes and how easy they look (at least to me) to put on the centre stand.     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2018, 11:51:09 am »
I have never found putting it on the centre stand completely smooth and effortlessly. I have the correct technique, my stand is good but I just don't think the stand is perfectly designed or in the optimum position, look at some of the massive gold wing type bikes and how easy they look (at least to me) to put on the centre stand.   

why mention goldwings - you reminded me of these

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2018, 12:47:16 pm »

I’m the same, though I think it’s partly down to being very light… 14 stone gives a lot more leverage than 9 does.
The rear shock preload and dogbones are a factor too. If the bike sits lower that means it has to be raised more when heaving it onto the stand.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 April 2018, 02:00:05 pm »

why mention goldwings - you reminded me of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOON8l-VPWM

Never seen them before, for a disabled biker they could be a lot better than going the trike route.