Date: 18-04-24  Time: 01:06 am

Author Topic: Hi from Prescot  (Read 2322 times)

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Hi from Prescot
« on: 29 March 2018, 04:11:53 pm »
Hi all,next week I'll be picking up a 2004 fazer 1000.It's been sat in a garage for at least 4 years but it's a one owner bike with about 10,000 miles on so I'm touching wood and hoping it'll be an easy job to get back on the road. :rollin

He says it's a carbs bike so that'll take me back a bit cleaning them up  :rolleyes    and I think probably a new battery and tyres too.Have I missed anything?

Can't wait to get her running,I ride an NC750X DCT at the mo and while the 80mpg is great and the helmet swallowing tank is genius I could use a good scare from a bike again. :woot :eek :eek

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Prescot
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2018, 06:31:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of helpful folk here to give you any assistance you might need, with a dash of piss taking thrown in. Your thou sounds like a good find, however fresh juice is a must before you attempt to start it and be prepared for the likelihood of blocked jets, depending on how it was laid up. If it runs, then an oil and filter change would be next on the list. Semi synth 10-40 is fine. Give the tyres a good examination as well, as 4 years just sitting may have taken it's toll. Good luck and keep us posted. They like pics on this site but I'm focced if I know how to do that.  :lol Enjoy. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 29 March 2018, 06:31:54 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2018, 12:07:57 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Robbo  :thumbup   it looks like the place to be,lots of info and mods to get up to speed on.

Yes fresh juice and I'm hoping the tank won't be too rusty inside,just have too wait and see on that one.Will try and post up some pics too,I used to use photo bucket on other forums but will have to look at other ways.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2018, 02:42:37 pm »
Well removing the tank, when you drain it is nice and easy. After undoing the allen headed bolt at the front, the tank will hinge upwards. Making some sort of a prop rod is a good idea for any future maintenance. Underneath the tank is a handy on/off tap, so all straight forward really. Have fun.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2018, 02:15:38 pm »
Here she is, a bit of a doer upper as you can see.Been sat for four years so will be giving her a good looking at over the next few days.

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2018, 02:27:20 pm »
Anyone know the cost of a fairing and infill and the best place to get them,genuine yam or eBay or even if a plastic repair is do-able on that nose cone.

« Last Edit: 02 April 2018, 02:29:32 pm by sullspots »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2018, 02:53:34 pm »
Hi Sulls,
Has she been thrown down the road or just fallen over sideways?  the fairing looks like road rash.
are the engine cases marked?
Just looking at the photos none of it looks very serious and probably fixable without a fairing replacement, sometime they come up for sale on here when guys either break one for spares or turn the bike into a naked.
Good luck with the bike @10K miles only things should be great.

As someone wisely pointed the tyres will want a through going over, they a likely to be the first replacement set on the bike as she is only @10K now.
The bike is 2004 making the old girl 14 years old sat in a garage 4 (At least) I would guess that the tyres were changed around the 6K mark, so new tyres have likely done
4K, plus the time stood in the garage those tyres could be 7 possibly 8 years old.

It might be wise to replace them, tyre performance and technology has advanced in recent years with dual compound tyres, good in wet and dry as are a lot of single compound covers to.
Welcome and keep us posted.
 :thumbup   
Bike was still laying on its side so I picked it up 4 yer.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2018, 02:59:43 pm by tommyardin »

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
There's a guy on here (Staryarm) selling a top fairing & infill panels, see wanted/for sale section although he now has them on jizzbay. The fairing is in blue but if in better condition than yours may be worth spraying correct colour rather than spending £260 (i think) on a new one plus decals, also a lot of OEM parts are out of stock & on back order so take weeks to arrive.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2018, 03:01:13 pm by Dea-ville »

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2018, 06:15:27 pm »
Hi Sulls,
Has she been thrown down the road or just fallen over sideways?  the fairing looks like road rash.
are the engine cases marked?
Just looking at the photos none of it looks very serious and probably fixable without a fairing replacement, sometime they come up for sale on here when guys either break one for spares or turn the bike into a naked.
Good luck with the bike @10K miles only things should be great.

Thanks,looks like a low speed slide.The right crash bung took the brunt along with the fairing and infill but the bung saved the cases.Think the bars might be a bit bent too but they seem a bit low for me anyway so will swap for some renthals with more rise.

I can't believe the kind of bike you can get for the money,these fazers must be the best bang for your buck out there.

There's a guy on here (Staryarm) selling a top fairing & infill panels, see wanted/for sale section although he now has them on jizzbay. The fairing is in blue but if in better condition than yours may be worth spraying correct colour rather than spending £260 (i think) on a new one plus decals, also a lot of OEM parts are out of stock & on back order so take weeks to arrive.

Thanks,I'll have a look at those.

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2018, 06:18:33 pm »
  Bike was still laying on its side so I picked it up 4 yer.
Ha ha,this phone has got a mind of its own,you're lucky you didn't get the bread knifes candid pics (VERY lucky  :lol ).

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2018, 07:18:39 pm »
If it's any help bought a OME fairing for my gen2 1000 the fairings are very similar I think, from Arnolds in Leicester last summer £250. It had to come from Japan as there was not the right colour in this country only took 10days to arrive you might need your vin number as there are different shades of the same colour depending on year if the gen1s are the same as gen2s hope that helps.

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2018, 12:06:29 pm »
If it's any help bought a OME fairing for my gen2 1000 the fairings are very similar I think, from Arnolds in Leicester last summer £250. It had to come from Japan as there was not the right colour in this country only took 10days to arrive you might need your vin number as there are different shades of the same colour depending on year if the gen1s are the same as gen2s hope that helps.

Thanks Steve,it all helps,I’m on a steep learning curve with my new baby.

sullspots

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2018, 07:10:27 pm »
Noticed it had a Kawasaki oil filter fitted.I’ll be changing it anyway when I drop the oil but has that been doing untold damage to my engine or is it an equivalent filter?