Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:07 am

Author Topic: Bigger front sprocket  (Read 6522 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger front sprocket
« Reply #25 on: 31 March 2018, 07:46:48 pm »
funny you should mention that after i have spent an hour killing myself over that today
with the wheel in the air it was shaking around like mad but when under pressure no problem at all
without a laser alignment tool its hard to be sure but them lines are the best we have - they are made in a pretty accurate JIG but as time passes we lose alignment through bearing wear etc

I usually measure the length of the stud protruding with a small steel rule after a visual line up with the swing arm markings, seems to work for me.

yeah i was cleaning the chain and decided to just start her up and let her spin the wheel on the paddock stand as i sprayed the hose at it to remove the cleaner and it was bouncing all over the place- turns out it was just riding the front sprocket a bit - its fine when its under load

It's the momentum of the wheel gaining speed but the chain won't let it go faster than the engine speed, which causes that shuddering effect.
Get quite a few people freaked out by it when it happens, but as you say just a very tiny bit of throttle levels it out.

lol, that's my method for applying grease to the chain, set it spinning (gentlly).

I've a theory that it's the exhaust resonating at 6k that causes the problem. I just need someone mad enough to go flying up the road with no exhaust to test the theory :lol

done it - for some reason people kept looking at me

Lol I too like this theory, I've often wondered if it's anything to do with the camshaft rpms, it's about this range 5-6k that the powerband kicks in.

17 tooth sprocket arrived today, big bastered... as soon as it stops raining I'll attempt to fit it and let you all know my opinion.

Looking forward to your verdict fella  :thumbup
« Last Edit: 31 March 2018, 07:47:58 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 March 2018, 08:19:27 pm »
funny you should mention that after i have spent an hour killing myself over that today
with the wheel in the air it was shaking around like mad but when under pressure no problem at all
without a laser alignment tool its hard to be sure but them lines are the best we have - they are made in a pretty accurate JIG but as time passes we lose alignment through bearing wear etc

I dont have the confidence in the marks on the swingarm. Last two times ive had to do it, ive set up two strings down the sides of the bike and measured from the wheels. The chain seems to sit better in the sprocket teeth this way.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 March 2018, 08:40:47 pm »

I dont have the confidence in the marks on the swingarm. Last two times ive had to do it, ive set up two strings down the sides of the bike and measured from the wheels. The chain seems to sit better in the sprocket teeth this way.
I think I know the way you are talking but - more detail please.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 April 2018, 10:20:38 pm »
Bad news foccers, 17 tooth doesn't fit  :'( chain just not quite long enough. I'll contact JT at some point and see if I can get extra links for the chain.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #29 on: 04 April 2018, 12:44:53 am »
i have a feeling if you go 17 it will be a remeasure and longer chain so your stuck with it once riveted or throwing money away
i think we are at 110 links standard

i think someone already foresaw that one - ooh yeah me   :lol :lol :lol

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 April 2018, 11:28:45 am »

I think I know the way you are talking but - more detail please.

Two string lines, one down each side of the bike, tied around the rear wheel so that the strings just kiss the front and rear edges of the tyre, with bike on centre stand. Strings taut and fastened to something to hold them taut beyond the front wheel. Use eyesight to align front and rear tyers as near central as you can. Use the rear wheel adjusters to align rear with front, might sound complicated but its a doddle, there is only one point at which the measurement from the strings to the tyre edge of each tyre is equal. Note front and rear measurements will not be the same due to tyre size difference. Take note of chain tension while adjusting. Hope that helps. Im sure others swear by other methods, but this is the method ill use and will continue to use until I come across a more accurate way of doing it, so there :moon

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 April 2018, 03:55:48 pm »
Bad news foccers, 17 tooth doesn't fit  :'( chain just not quite long enough. I'll contact JT at some point and see if I can get extra links for the chain.

The other option, elongate the slots on the swingarm  ;)
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 April 2018, 04:56:07 pm »

Ah cool didn't think of that, don't suppose it really matters where the brake caliber is in relation to the disc. As soon as I've finished cleaning petrol off my kitchen floor from washing out my forks I'll get the angle grinder out and cut out an inch from either side  :lol

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 April 2018, 05:51:01 pm »

Ah cool didn't think of that, don't suppose it really matters where the brake caliber is in relation to the disc. As soon as I've finished cleaning petrol off my kitchen floor from washing out my forks I'll get the angle grinder out and cut out an inch from either side  :lol

STOP  - think what your doing first bloody hell i dont know if your joking or not so i will put this anyway

you will hit your cross brace on the swingarm you will get so close it will at least be rubbing

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 April 2018, 06:04:02 pm »

STOP  - think what your doing first bloody hell i dont know if your joking or not so i will put this anyway

you will hit your cross brace on the swingarm you will get so close it will at least be rubbing
Oh shit I wish I read that ten minutes ago! Anyone know if it's possible to weld some sheet metal or something back on to the swing arm?
« Last Edit: 04 April 2018, 06:06:14 pm by Triggergee »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 April 2018, 06:12:12 pm »
its ally so would need tig welded

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 April 2018, 06:52:22 pm »
It's alright, I'm only joking  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 April 2018, 07:00:15 pm »
ooh thank god for that

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 April 2018, 10:51:03 pm »
Rather than gong up 2 teeth on the front, I usually go 1 tooth up on the front and 2 teeth down on the back - pretty much the same overall ratio change, but it also means the standard chain length is perfect.

I'm not a fan of adding just a couple of links - no reason other than my own mental issues of 2 home done links in the one chain

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 April 2018, 12:00:57 am »
Rather than gong up 2 teeth on the front, I usually go 1 tooth up on the front and 2 teeth down on the back - pretty much the same overall ratio change, but it also means the standard chain length is perfect.

I'm not a fan of adding just a couple of links - no reason other than my own mental issues of 2 home done links in the one chain

yep the correct way is to do that that, i think the idea here is a quick switch (15 mins to switch and adjust for front sprocket)
im not doing a full maths spreadsheet on this (i said that last time lol)
i have a feeling not everyone here has a paddock stand to do full switches so its just easier
and also its £5 for a front sprocket and much more for a rear so quick switch is worthy of a trial run
-- if we dont test run it we dont know ----

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 April 2018, 10:23:19 am »

yep the correct way is to do that that, i think the idea here is a quick switch (15 mins to switch and adjust for front sprocket)
i have a feeling not everyone here has a paddock stand to do full switches so its just easier
and also its £5 for a front sprocket and much more for a rear so quick switch is worthy of a trial run
Whilst you are on the maths there is also another factor in that certain combo's of teath will create a situation where the same link will hit the same tooth over and over again. It was discussed on here a while back - have a search. 

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 April 2018, 02:21:14 pm »

Whilst you are on the maths there is also another factor in that certain combo's of teath will create a situation where the same link will hit the same tooth over and over again. It was discussed on here a while back - have a search.

I can see the logic, but in over 40 years of making this change on all of my in-line 4's, I've never had a sprocket or chain wear/fail early. In fact, I've generally changed my chains and sprockets due to my "impression" of mileage & timescale, rather than anything actually being worn-out (prevention being the best way to avoid problems).

Having said that, my FJ 1200's have both run well over 20k mikes on each chain and sprocket set, as did my Aprilia RSV. I changed the Fazer 1000 originals at 17k miles just because I wanted to alter the gearing, not because they were worn out.

Maybe I'm just lucky !

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 April 2018, 02:30:25 pm »

I can see the logic, but in over 40 years of making this change on all of my in-line 4's, I've never had a sprocket or chain wear/fail early. In fact, I've generally changed my chains and sprockets due to my "impression" of mileage & timescale, rather than anything actually being worn-out (prevention being the best way to avoid problems).

Having said that, my FJ 1200's have both run well over 20k mikes on each chain and sprocket set, as did my Aprilia RSV. I changed the Fazer 1000 originals at 17k miles just because I wanted to alter the gearing, not because they were worn out.

Maybe I'm just lucky !
As I recall your combo was actually the optimum sweet spot ratio to avoid any same link -tooth wear

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 April 2018, 03:00:10 pm »
Hope that fits with the chain on, in the space between the sprocket and clutch pushrod  :eek a 16t runs it close