Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:41 am

Author Topic: Petrol gauge  (Read 2018 times)

daviee

Petrol gauge
« on: 28 March 2018, 11:13:33 am »
Hi don't no if this has been asked before but is their a cure for the petrol gauge rising when you twist the throttle mine will show a Lot more when you twist the throttle as in it creeps up

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Petrol gauge
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2018, 12:42:15 pm »
does this even happen when the bike is standing still??

as strange as it sounds you might want to start at the battery with a multimeter and see what the voltage across the battery reads as it is running and gets reved
think of it this way - if your regulator is goosed it could be firing too much power into the electrical system at higher revs and that extra power going through the variable resistor in your fuel guage could be pushing through more power and making your guage rise higher up
running with everything off (lights heated grips etc) you should have a reading of  14.** volts @5000rpm
- it is unlikely but it is certainly possible and worth checking as it can cause more issues further down the line

after that i can only think of a dodgy earth somewhere in the circuit (unplug and clean connections)

daviee

« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2018, 01:16:52 pm »
Voltage is bang on I run a volt Gauge  it as part of the dash I have herd of a few doing the same but not come across a cure for it

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2018, 03:34:19 pm »
Voltage is bang on I run a volt Gauge  it as part of the dash I have herd of a few doing the same but not come across a cure for it

It doesn't answer the question from Punk. Does it do it with the bike standing still or only when moving?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fordlatch41

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Street triple rs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2018, 05:57:54 pm »
Mine does this when moving, rises under acceleration and drops when slowing down, it's because the fuel rushes to the rear of the tank (where the fuel guage is) when the throttle is applied and rushes to the front of the tank away from the guage when slowing/braking.

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2018, 06:47:42 pm »

It doesn't answer the question from Punk. Does it do it with the bike standing still or only when moving?

would need to check but its hard to hold the throttle when in nutral with the engine running but will try it with engine off with mine its not the fuel going to the back of the tank that would only do it on the initial opening the fuel would settle again , if i am in top gear and do it at very low speeds you dong get a massive surge but it still creeps up

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2018, 09:41:00 pm »
I wouldn't worry, It's just the tides  :evil

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2018, 11:14:31 pm »
I wouldn't worry, It's just the tides  :evil

Or the full moon  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2018, 11:24:08 pm »
fuel guages are not all they are made out to be anyway - chop never had one and using my cheap chinese koso i only have a F**k about to run out sensor, fill her up every 80-100 miles and you should be golden (im not running standard intakes and ride like a twat on long rides and easily do 100 miles + running around on a tank)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2018, 11:28:34 pm »
Might also be just vibration

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2018, 11:31:05 pm »
Especially as it goes up and down with engine revs, and Davie says it's not fuel surging back and forth the acceleration and braking

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2018, 07:23:46 am »
I wouldn't worry too much. The petrol gauge is about as useful as a chocolate teapot or that ashtray I fitted on the front end last year.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2018, 10:00:49 am »
I wouldn't worry too much. The petrol gauge is about as useful as a chocolate teapot or that ashtray I fitted on the front end last year.

That was your big mistake Celtic, never, ever, ever mount an ashtray at the front of a motorcycle, firstly the ash can get in your eyes and the embers could worse case scenario could set fire to the fuel tank. Mounting it behind the rider is by far the safest bet, but I hasten to add not the most convient.
Anyway my ciggy lighter will never stay alight above 15 mph.
Actually I don't smoke, unlike my little Honda C90 that needs a rebore.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2018, 09:32:16 am »

That was your big mistake Celtic, never, ever, ever mount an ashtray at the front of a motorcycle, firstly the ash can get in your eyes and the embers could worse case scenario could set fire to the fuel tank. Mounting it behind the rider is by far the safest bet, but I hasten to add not the most convient.
Anyway my ciggy lighter will never stay alight above 15 mph.
Actually I don't smoke, unlike my little Honda C90 that needs a rebore.

I knew I'd done summat wrong Tommy  :lol I've also given up the dreaded weed many years ago and feel all the better for it.
Geoff Towers is the man up north if you don't fancy doing the rebore yourself-

http://www.gtowers-motorcycles.co.uk/rebores.htm
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2018, 11:30:58 am »
Sutton Rebore is the man dahn sarf :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.