Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:07 pm

Author Topic: Gender discrimination  (Read 11111 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Gender discrimination
« Reply #25 on: 01 April 2018, 06:07:49 pm »
Discrimination is a word that often gets used wrongly, we all discriminate most days of our lives.
We discriminate between right and wrong (as we see or understand it)

Discernment or telling the difference between one thing and another is discrimination.
People can discriminate between facial expressions of others, telling the difference between an angry or happy look is discrimination or discernment if you wish.

I don't think I hate anyone in life, how can I hate someone of a different religion? or just because they believe something different than me.

What I can do is hate the actions and choices of others if it damages or impacts on others in a negative way.

How can I hate Muslims when I have not really met many.
I can hate the ideology of a Muslim extremist if it hurts, kills or takes away the freedom of choice or speech.

I recall once being utterly and totally lost in an area of Birmingham called Saltley, it late at night (11-30ish)I was on foot, and have to admit to being more than wary of the area I was in, a very much Muslim area that I had heard stuff about on the TV that reinforced my fears.

I had wandered off the main area of the main busy street and tried to back track only to find myself more and more confused, in the darkness I saw some coloured lights over a back doorway and decided to knock hoping to find a friendly face who could point me back to the busier parts of Saltley.
The door way opened and I was in view of four Asian guys each of them would have made almost two of me (They were big lads) I told one my plight and he came out started his car and switched on his Taxi sign on the roof, told me to sit in the front and he chatted to me as he drove me to 'The Bullring' an area of Birmingham that I was trying to get to, he shook my hand and wished me well, said 'no charge' and drove off.

How can anyone say they hate Muslims, this giant of a man had a kind heart, sure he was different to me but he was a kind human being that took sympathy on my plight and did something about it.

Do I discriminate negatively against Muslims? of course not, but I do discriminate against any extremists that wish to impose their ways on others, what-ever background they are from, whether race, colour, creed, religious belief. It could be in the workplace or in the street.

But as said earlier we all discriminate, but we should not blanket discriminate in a negative way about a section of society or individual that we do not know.

Positive discrimination is good and healthy and wise.
Negative discrimination is bad unhealthy and stupid.

I could have formed an negative impression about my taxi driver Samaritan, If I had it would not have been further from the truth.

We all have opinions, some we hold dear, some not so much, but if those opinion or ideologies impact others in a negative way, then we are extremist our selves.
Here endeth the lesson for today     :D .

BMW car divers should all be discriminated against, it is the only exception to the rule :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 April 2018, 06:25:11 pm »
It's like all this anti-Semitism that's around Labour at the moment.

Awful.

Labour needs to get smarter on 'anti-Semitism', and it needs to get quicker.  As what we are seeing is the well-funded and organised pro-Israeli Zionist lobbyists tearing Labour to shreds right now.  Also, the UK right wing press are running with this big time, they will jump at any opportunity to smear and discredit Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour left. 

‘Anti-Semitism’ is not a major issue in the Labour party.

What is hugely sinister is the lack of outcry from our government, and indeed certain other Western governments, over the deaths of 16 Palestinians at the Gaza Israel border.  Of course, we are not far from the point that criticism of Israeli soldiers murdering Palestinian protestors will be classed as ‘anti-Semitic’.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 April 2018, 06:28:08 pm »
I recall once being utterly and totally lost in an area of Birmingham called Saltley, it late at night (11-30ish)I was on foot, and have to admit to being more than wary of the area I was in, a very much Muslim area that I had heard stuff about on the TV that reinforced my fears.

I had wandered off the main area of the main busy street and tried to back track only to find myself more and more confused, in the darkness I saw some coloured lights over a back doorway and decided to knock hoping to find a friendly face who could point me back to the busier parts of Saltley.
The door way opened and I was in view of four Asian guys each of them would have made almost two of me (They were big lads) I told one my plight and he came out started his car and switched on his Taxi sign on the roof, told me to sit in the front and he chatted to me as he drove me to 'The Bullring' an area of Birmingham that I was trying to get to, he shook my hand and wished me well, said 'no charge' and drove off.

How can anyone say they hate Muslims, this giant of a man had a kind heart, sure he was different to me but he was a kind human being that took sympathy on my plight and did something about it.

How did you know he was a muslim?

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #28 on: 01 April 2018, 09:08:18 pm »
But as said earlier we all discriminate, but we should not blanket discriminate in a negative way about a section of society or individual that we do not know.

Positive discrimination is good and healthy and wise.
Negative discrimination is bad unhealthy and stupid.

Agree, but not completely. Discrimination is an important survival tool. I'll talk from my background and country (know that best and fewer foccers could get offended :)  ).

When I wear colours of my football club, and see a group of Red Star (or Partizan) Belgrade supporters, I can expect to get beat up. It's pure prejudice - not all the supporters would bother, want to, nor agree to go into N to one fight, but significant portion of them are.

Same goes for gypsies - at least in my city. You don't want to leave things not very well locked in their neighbourhood. However racist it may sound, in equally poor parts of the city with population of white people, the crime rate is lower.

I've had some experience with Swiss people. First thing that struck me was how "naive" they were - even the obviously intelligent and university educated people. Then I had realized: those people come from a country where no one tries to trick you (at least the standard Serbian tricks, like charging double to foreigners who don't know the prices, selling faulty goods as good, avoiding taxes etc...).  Had they stayed here long enough, I'm sure they would have quickly caught on.

Another example is the police. They have to guess what can be expected of a person and how to approach them the first time they see them. Good, experienced cops often judge that very quickly. They are among the most prejudiced people you can find, but the prejudice is (at least with the competent ones) based on lots of experience.

Not sure how much role is played by society, background, how much is down to genes - but there are certain group traits that can be expected - until proven otherwise, at least that's the way I see it. The main problem, IMO, is when one is not aware of their prejudice and can't let go, even when they get to know the concrete person they interact with.

In my country there have been (civil?) wars and lots of hatred in the past few decades. Hungarian minority in my city has been opressed (not as much as Croats and Muslims in other parts of the country, but not nice). I have always been against that (went to lots of anti-government protests - whatever could be done, whatever the risk). On (more than) one occasion I sat at a "Hungarian" cafe with a Hungarian friend. After some chat, a girl had asked for my name. One of the people said out loud "that's a Serbian name!?!" Most were very reluctant to even talk to me afterwards. Works similarly the other way round - once some guys had started hustling a friend for "speaking in Hungarian" - after I had stepped in it was like "oh, they're with you - you're one of ours - no problems" and they left.

Most people like to be treated well. With respect. Most expect that. When encountering rude situations (like from the previous passage) - those are the things they tend to talk about with their friends. No one will bother to mention: "I was treated normally". But the bad stories are told over and over. That deepens hatred and the prejudice. And it's often rooted in true, first hand experience.

It's a difficult thing to be wise about IMO. What is good, what is bad prejudice/discrimination? I was raised to judge people on what they do. Not on what they say, even less based on their colour/religion etc. Still - if I were given a choice: for an hour, in my garage, would you rather leave a gypsy, or a swiss alone - both of them you've never seen/met before, you know nothing else - I'd go with the swiss. As for drinking - bosnians, or scotts.  :)

As for the gender discrimination - I don't see that women are discriminated for being women - as if people don't like that fact. What is the case is they often (majority, or at least a large enough percentage of women) tend to put family first. People expect that from a female worker even at the job interview. When/if they get hired, I'm yet to see a hard working woman not being paid more than less hard working man. At least in my city.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 09:11:09 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 April 2018, 09:24:47 pm »

How did you know he was a muslim?

Because we chatted about as he drove me to 'The Bullring'.
I explained that I was quite worried about being lost in Saltley as it had quite a bit of bad press, he laughed and said that not all Muslims are extremist and fundamentalists and that a lot of second generation Muslims were very moderate.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 09:27:46 pm by tommyardin »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 April 2018, 09:30:10 pm »
he laughed and said that not all Muslims are extremist and fundamentalists and that a lot of second generation Muslims were very moderate.

What!  Presumably he was taking the piss. :lol   Or did you just make that up?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 April 2018, 09:31:48 pm »
 Interesting observations Slaninar.

Same goes for gypsies - at least in my city. You don't want to leave things not very well locked in their neighbourhood. However racist it may sound, in equally poor parts of the city with population of white people, the crime rate is lower.

But then the white people haven’t suffered from the, what is basically state sponsored discrimination, right across eastern Europe, that the Roma have. 

Another example is the police. They have to guess what can be expected of a person and how to approach them the first time they see them. Good, experienced cops often judge that very quickly. They are among the most prejudiced people you can find, but the prejudice is (at least with the competent ones) based on lots of experience.

But then in Scotland the only MSP’s (members of the Scottish Parliament) to have been stopped and searched by the police just so happen to be Asian.  Something is wrong there, surely?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 April 2018, 09:46:03 pm »
he laughed and said that not all Muslims are extremist and fundamentalists and that a lot of second generation Muslims were very moderate.

What!  Presumably he was taking the piss. :lol   Or did you just make that up?

VNA go fuck yourself.

What the fuck do you know about conversation that I have had with people during my life.
You seem to think you are all knowing about everything, I would appreciate it in future if you just shut the fuck up and not comment on anything that I put into post in here.
You think that the guy was either taking the piss or that I an lying, what the fuck do you know you twat. 

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #33 on: 01 April 2018, 09:56:36 pm »
But then the white people haven’t suffered from the, what is basically state sponsored discrimination, right across eastern Europe, that the Roma have. 

When dealing with people, you can't undo the past. My country has had sanctions, wars, bombings and economic breakdown recently, but that doesn't change the fact that you're a lot more likely to get mugged now, than 30 years ago. It also doesn't help when buying a 2nd hand car - you can be certain the mileage is rewinded back (all the motorcycles sold here have 30.000 kms - even the 20+ year old ones!).

But then in Scotland the only MSP’s (members of the Scottish Parliament) to have been stopped and searched by the police just so happen to be Asian.  Something is wrong there, surely?

My hair is now short, but when I was in early 20s, it was long - and it grew like Bob Marley's - literally, all curves and upwards. On a Montenegrin seaside resort, I was stopped two nights in a row and searched for drugs by the police - along with an also long haired (male) friend. The third time, I had politely asked the policemen why my friend and I seem to be the only ones stopped and searched - two nights in a row. I said we're not doing anything illegal, we're not drunk, what the problem is with us? The policemen politely explained, trying not to be rude: see what you look like? Do you see any other people with such hairs and clothing? Who would you first stop and search for marihuana in this street if you were in my place? We laughed. They said they'll talk with their coleagues not to bother us any more.

Not that there aren't idiots and racists among the police. Just that sometimes prejudice is all you can "work" with, if you understand what I mean.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 09:57:13 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 April 2018, 10:12:08 pm »
VNA go fuck yourself.

What the fuck do you know about conversation that I have had with people during my life.
You seem to think you are all knowing about everything, I would appreciate it in future if you just shut the fuck up and not comment on anything that I put into post in here.
You think that the guy was either taking the piss or that I an lying, what the fuck do you know you twat. 

Charming! :lol :lol :lol   Before I read your latest post, I did check the date, and thought, shit, it's April the 1st.  Fucking tommyyardin's just ripped me big time.  But nope, it looks like your friendly cab driver was ripping the shit out of you after all.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 April 2018, 10:25:47 pm »
VNA go fuck yourself.

Charming! :lol :lol :lol   Before I read your latest post, I did check the date, and thought, shit, it's April the 1st.  Fucking tommyyardin's just ripped me big time.  But nope, it looks like your friendly cab driver was ripping the shit out of you after all.

Your last response underlines that fact that you believe nothing anyone says, and think you know every thing about everyone and their motives, which just underlines that you are even a bigger cunt than I at first thought you were. Goes to show that I was wrong.

First you say it was all a lie,then you say he was 'Ripping the shit out of me' how was he ripping the shit out of me? The guy went out of his way to help me with no cost to me at all, but it had a cost to him. I don't understand your thinking.
Anyway VNA hush I have no wish to hear or read anymore rhetoric that pours like vomit out of your mouth.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 10:31:34 pm by tommyardin »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 April 2018, 10:26:31 pm »
My hair is now short, but when I was in early 20s, it was long - and it grew like Bob Marley's - literally, all curves and upwards. On a Montenegrin seaside resort, I was stopped two nights in a row and searched for drugs by the police - along with an also long haired (male) friend.

In 2006 I was in Albania for a week.  I had long blonde hair, hadn’t had a haircut in ten years, tied back in a pony tail.  The first morning there I got up early.  Nobody else I was with was up, so I headed out for a walk, carrying my SLR camera.  The hotel was pretty nice, but the busy street outside had no tarmac.  But what I found was everybody stared at me, I mean really fucking stared.  It was pretty unnerving and I stuffed my camera under my jacket fearing the worst.  After just over half an hour I headed back to the hotel.  One of the folks I was with explained, that well obviously I looked different (very white – long blonde hair) and that in the Balkans it’s generally not considered rude to stare.  He told me just to smile and say hello.  Then the scary menacing starring people started smiling and saying hello back. 

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 April 2018, 10:36:44 pm »
My hair is now short, but when I was in early 20s, it was long - and it grew like Bob Marley's - literally, all curves and upwards. On a Montenegrin seaside resort, I was stopped two nights in a row and searched for drugs by the police - along with an also long haired (male) friend.

In 2006 I was in Albania for a week.  I had long blonde hair, hadn’t had a haircut in ten years, tied back in a pony tail.  The first morning there I got up early.  Nobody else I was with was up, so I headed out for a walk, carrying my SLR camera.  The hotel was pretty nice, but the busy street outside had no tarmac.  But what I found was everybody stared at me, I mean really fucking stared.  It was pretty unnerving and I stuffed my camera under my jacket fearing the worst.  After just over half an hour I headed back to the hotel.  One of the folks I was with explained, that well obviously I looked different (very white – long blonde hair) and that in the Balkans it’s generally not considered rude to stare.  He told me just to smile and say hello.  Then the scary menacing starring people started smiling and saying hello back.

What a load of crap that person that was with you was just 'Ripping the shit out of you' they were thinking to themselves that is a strange looking cunt with long blond hair, perhaps we should give him a lift and not charge him, that will get him off the road.  :finger

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 April 2018, 10:45:27 pm »
First you say it was all a lie,then you say he was 'Ripping the shit out of me' how was he ripping the shit out of me? The guy went out of his way to help me with no cost to me at all, but it had a cost to him. I don't understand your thinking.

You are over thinking it Tommy.  Ripping the shit out of you, pulling your leg, as in humour, maybe a wee bit of mild scarcasm.  Suttle humour mocking your
prejudice, but it sailed right over the top of your heid.

Talking of marijuana, have a smoke man, chill out.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 April 2018, 11:09:37 pm »
Boys boys boys! You both agree that it's wrong to  discriminate and make assumptions based on prejudice, and that people are individuals and not 'all the same'. So calm down. Anyway, the cab driver was probably worried about driving you to the Bullring, because last time it was blown up by white terrorists.....

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 April 2018, 11:14:45 pm »
Anyway, the cab driver was probably worried about driving you to the Bullring, because last time it was blown up by white terrorists.....

Talking of white, I'll bet if he was white Tommy would have insisted on paying his fare  :lol :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 April 2018, 11:27:37 pm »

You are over thinking it Tommy.  Ripping the shit out of you, pulling your leg, as in humour, maybe a wee bit of mild scarcasm.  Suttle humour mocking your
prejudice, but it sailed right over the top of your heid.

Talking of marijuana, have a smoke man, chill out.

How many reverse gears do you have? You shoot your mouth off and then back away saying you were only having a bit of fun, mild sarcasm. You are a predudice twat making comments about paying fares if he was white.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 April 2018, 11:30:59 pm »
Some people are like ducks that fart underwater, lots of noise, lots of hot air and fuck all substance.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02 April 2018, 12:17:19 am »
How many reverse gears do you have? You shoot your mouth off and then back away saying you were only having a bit of fun, mild sarcasm.

No Tommy.  Not me, the cab driver.  The fucking cab driver, he ripped the pish out of you, pulled your leg.   You still don't get it.  Foc me.

Or maybe you did make that up.  I know I don't meet people and say, hey you look asian, are you a muslim?  When I ask a person for help in the street, or jump in a cab, I don't give a shit what colour people's skin is, whether they are religious or not, what religion if any they follow etc etc.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #44 on: 02 April 2018, 12:30:02 am »
It's like all this anti-Semitism that's around Labour at the moment.

Anti-Semitism is deplorable, but it doesn't govern UK politics, unlike the Nationalism, Racism, Islamophobia and Xenophobia which are poisoning this country at the moment and which the right wing (including that of the Labour party) are ignoring for another chance to bash Jeremy Corbyn in the run up to the local elections.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 02 April 2018, 09:11:17 am »
How many reverse gears do you have? You shoot your mouth off and then back away saying you were only having a bit of fun, mild sarcasm.

No Tommy.  Not me, the cab driver.  The fucking cab driver, he ripped the pish out of you, pulled your leg.   You still don't get it.  Foc me.

Or maybe you did make that up.  I know I don't meet people and say, hey you look asian, are you a muslim?  When I ask a person for help in the street, or jump in a cab, I don't give a shit what colour people's skin is, whether they are religious or not, what religion if any they follow etc etc.

When was your learning disability first diagnosed ?

I would suggest that you go back and start reading what I said all over again, because what you are saying happened (and you were not even there) and my account do not resemble each other in any way, shape or form.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 April 2018, 12:12:47 pm »
Anti-Semitism is deplorable, but it doesn't govern UK politics, unlike the Nationalism, Racism, Islamophobia and Xenophobia which are poisoning this country at the moment

I don't recognize that assessment of this country and it's politics.

I think we're very civilised, welcoming and tolerant as a nation in general.

A lot of people put a lot of effort into getting here from other countries so we can't be all that bad can we?.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 April 2018, 01:00:54 pm »

A lot of people put a lot of effort into getting here from other countries so we can't be all that bad can we?.

Oh and I wonder why that is 🤔 I wonder what single thing makes this country a better place to come and live over Greece, France, Germany, Belgium etc etc....... certainly ain't the weather is it

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 April 2018, 01:16:26 pm »
I think you will find there are far more recent refugees in Germany than the UK

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 April 2018, 01:33:54 pm »
I think you will find there are far more recent refugees in Germany than the UK

And Europes refugee issue is nothing compared some middle eastern countries refugee issues.

Lebannon;

population - 6 million.

No. of Syrian refugees in Lebannon - 1.1 million
No. of Palestian refugees in Lebannon - 350,000

Of course we, along with the US and others, back the Islamic fundamentalist groups trying to overthrow Assad. 
Putin's Russia backs Assad.  Anybody in the way gets killed.

Total deaths in Syrian war estimated at over 500,000
6 million internally displaced.
5 million externally displaced.

« Last Edit: 02 April 2018, 01:35:10 pm by VNA »