Date: 17-04-24  Time: 00:10 am

Author Topic: Embarassing foc up  (Read 1614 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Embarassing foc up
« on: 25 March 2018, 08:25:03 pm »
Okay so bought a MT09 and very happy with it but I have made a bit of a cock up.
I have managed to jam the seat, I have removed it once before when I checked the bike over and I think I did not locate it correctly when putting it back on.  :o .[size=78%]    I turn the key and lift and pull backwards like you are meant to but it only moves about 5mm then it is solid. [/size]
I have tried thumping it and wiggling a piece of metal rod about underneath the gap in vain hope but the bugger is stuck.
Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

I have tried to post this on the MT09 forum but even though I am a member when I try to post on the forum it just keeps telling me I have not done the image capture correctly, after 5 goes I gave up

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Embarassing foc up
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2018, 09:15:07 pm »
A lot of the forums suggest it's a common problem with the bike. Seems a fair few people manage to get them stuck.

Don't know if you've looked through them bit this seems to be a solution

Dec 05, 2013 ยท #8
So, I finally managed to get it open last weekend and thankfully this trick has worked so far.
My new technique- turn key, lift seat off the lock and then with open palms or bottom of fists firmly hit the two ends of the rider's portion of the seat. The motion should be from front to the back of the bike. This pops the seat open immediately which springs out of whatever is holding it down. Its definitely the oddest way I have had to employ to open a motorcycle seat!

Might help 🤔

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2018, 01:07:54 am »
Okay so bought a MT09 and very happy with it but I have made a bit of a cock up.
I have managed to jam the seat, I have removed it once before when I checked the bike over and I think I did not locate it correctly when putting it back on.  :o .[size=78%]    I turn the key and lift and pull backwards like you are meant to but it only moves about 5mm then it is solid. [/size]
I have tried thumping it and wiggling a piece of metal rod about underneath the gap in vain hope but the bugger is stuck.
Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

I have tried to post this on the MT09 forum but even though I am a member when I try to post on the forum it just keeps telling me I have not done the image capture correctly, after 5 goes I gave up

I believe it is not unlocked properly, try with right hand turning the key and with the left one hit the back of the seat with your fist downwards, this will make the key turn more unlocked it and the spring will open the seat. You need to push a bit more down the seat at that back and try unlocking with the key.

If thay fails and your latch is stuck see here how to open it: http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/10164-get-seat-off-without-key-lock-help-hahaha-3.html
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2018, 08:06:03 pm »
Thanks Dude and Val, have tried both those methods with no success. When I get home from work tomorrow I am going to try the method that is shown in the link that Val posted, will be a pain in the arse but once I get seat off I can adjust the mechanism, cure seems to be a cross between adding a washer to stop it flexing as much and bending the tab so that it latches correctly.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2018, 07:50:33 pm »
Success :) , tried the method in the link Val posted, was fairly easy and I had it done in 15 minutes. Adjusted the tab and added a couple of washers and now the seat goes on and comes off easy.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2018, 08:54:30 pm »
 :thumbup  'Success' that's what we like to hear  :thumbup