Date: 16-04-24  Time: 16:39 pm

Author Topic: Lucky to get away with this one!  (Read 2911 times)

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Lucky to get away with this one!
« on: 23 March 2018, 07:48:39 pm »
A lorry reversed into me while I was stopped behind him. Luckily I was square on behind him, so he pushed me backwards rather than over, so no damage to me, but the bike needs work! One tiny mark on the back of the truck was all he had to show for it!
Waiting to hear from the company who own the truck to see what they want to do, but would the concensus on here be to go straight through my insurers or see if they want to pay me out?
I'll strip it down over the weekend to see if the fairing framework is damaged, but it's at least new fairing and inners, headlight unit and screen.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky to get away with this one!
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2018, 08:17:42 pm »
Glad to hear you’re not injured, that’s the main thing

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2018, 09:14:16 pm »
Glad your ok, but remember the rule, "If your cannot see the vehicles mirrors the driver cannot see you!.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2018, 09:32:50 pm »
would the concensus on here be to go straight through my insurers or see if they want to pay me out?
Pretty sure the terms of your insurance will be that you should make them aware of any accidents that you are involved in regardless of who is at fault. Depending on your cover your insurers would likely pay for the repairs and then seek to recover the costs from the third parties insurers assuming liability is cut and dry which it sounds like it should be.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2018, 10:07:50 pm »
What ever way it goes I bet a pound (£1) to a pinch of Chinese excrement you lose you No Claims Bonus. :'( 

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2018, 10:19:14 pm »
Bad Luck on that one, but like you say, at least it was a straight push back & not a fall over.   
Just for info.... if you do go the insurance route, be aware that on your next insurance renewal you will be penalised by the insurance companies for being involved in an accident & making a claim - ie they will charge you higher premiums - and that is regardless of whether you were at fault or not.
Sad to say, but I've been through all that personally, and I know a few others with the same complaints. The insurance companies nowadays look for any reason to squeeze a few more ££ out of you.
From your post I take it that you're comfortable with the dismantle/ reassemble works, so if it was me, I would first try to come to some sort of compensation arrangement with the trucking company directly.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2018, 09:39:52 am »
Had something similar with my sons bike couple of years ago delivery driver reversed into it knocking it over spoke to the company concerned they didn't want to claim as would have had a big impact on their insurance premiums for there fleet. I was happy to do the work so we gave them a list of parts they got the parts OME I did the repair. Worked out well all round but would depend on whether you trusted the firm or not.  Bought a new fairing for my gen2 last year OME £250 price the spares up give them the written quote, you still have the option of insurance route.     

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2018, 09:59:22 am »
I’d be tempted to report it to the police either way, just covers you a bit in case you have difficulty with them.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2018, 11:43:03 am »
Glad your ok, but remember the rule, "If your cannot see the vehicles mirrors the driver cannot see you!.

In moving traffic that would be the rule, but in stationary traffic the situation is different, I believe the person who is reversing has to make sure it is safe to do so.  If everybody stopped behind a truck or any long vehicle in stationary traffic and left a gap that made sure you could see his mirrors you would be talking about a gap of four or five car lengths at least, that gap would be swiftly fillled up by people who think you are a dickhead for leaving such a large space and causing even more traffic tailback, one of those people would be me.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2018, 12:58:13 pm »
Just want to reiterate that you really should be going though your insurers, failure to notify them of this accident and declare it on your renewal may invalidate your existing and future policies in case someone other than you does report it. If they find that the other driver is 100% at fault then you won't loose any NCB, I can't comment on whether your insurance premium will go up as a result of a no fault claim but you can always shop around at renewal time to mitigate this if it does happen. It's your choice at the end of the day but to me it would be too much of a risk if I did need to make a big claim and the insurers had a legitimate reason for not paying out because I'd not complied with  the terms and agreements of my policy.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2018, 12:58:52 pm by PieEater »

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2018, 05:34:04 pm »
Some sound advice on here, but I really hope that you have a good independent witness to the incident.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2018, 09:15:51 pm »
Some sound advice on here, but I really hope that you have a good independent witness to the incident.

If your premium does go up because of this and you decide to 'Shop around' as has been mentioned, your new insurance company will ask if you had had any accidents or claims in the last five years, and you are now back to square one as far as your insurance costs go.

I personally would report it to the police just to log the incident and offer the police your insurance details.

Then get in contact with the truck company ASAP, I assume you have the registration of the truck, the drivers name and the place and time that the incident took place. Ask them if they want to settle personally without involving insurance companies but let them know your have informed the police of the incident and that the police have your insurance details and they are awaiting instruction from you. If they agree that privately settling would be the best option for them and of course it would be, (They don't want fleet insurance going up or a driver possibly being prosecuted for careless driving or driving without due care and attention) Tell them your bank details and say that you want the money deposited by direct transfer to you account within 24 hours or you will let your insurance company and the police deal with it.

Do a quick ball park of what you estimate the material cost to be, be realistic, the bulbs and cans of paint cost, as do the decals for the fairing, they are not cheap, then double it for you inconvenience and time.

I'm sure you have a damaged brake line there, think you will have to put on a new set of 'Colour Coded Stainless' lines.
 :lol   
« Last Edit: 24 March 2018, 09:17:40 pm by tommyardin »

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2018, 10:12:36 pm »
Get the haulier to pay for the repairs and don’t tell the insurer, it’s fuck all to do with them.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2018, 10:35:57 pm »
Get the haulier to pay for the repairs and don’t tell the insurer, it’s fuck all to do with them.

Exactly!
You put it much more concise and succinctly than I, Mustang you are a true Word Smith.  :lol

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2018, 11:02:58 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.

Just to clarify, it's a stretch of road where drivers frequently have to stop to let vehicles coming the other way past if a car is parked, so I thought nothing of the guy in front stopping. What I didn't expect was that he would then reverse back down the road to see if the track on the right led to a cricket club where he was supposed to make a pick-up (it didn't!). Serves me right for sticking to the speed limit instead of blasting past!
[/size]I've stripped the front end down, and I can now do an itemized and costed list of what needs replacing. I'll speak to the company on Monday and see if we can agree a settlement figure.
[/size]
BTW, the Police don't seem too interested if nobody's injured. I should have hopped around and said I was, but I was so relieved not to be that I didn't think of it at the time!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2018, 08:14:39 am »
I would still ring the police ans ask them to log the incident, property was damaged and it was a road accident, like you say they wont be interested but if you could record both sides of that conversation with the police just for your own records and its another string to your bow, as you can honestly say that the accident has been logged with the police.