Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:09 am

Author Topic: Took the sprocket cover off and guess what was hiding beneath  (Read 3901 times)

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

I honestly don't know how I owned the bike for 2 years without checking this. I thought the logbook made it seem like the previous owner was pretty savvy. I thought the guy I paid to fit a new chain and sprockets last year would have known about this. But none of that is an excuse, I should have checked and done it myself. I even bought the new nut as I was waiting for delivery of the bike and now I can't find the blasted thing.

So the list of things to buy/fit/maintain in prep for the new season:

Upgraded front sprocket nut and washer
Cam chain tensioner - must get rid of that awful rattle
Possibly cam chain - this scares me  :'(
As the carbs are off, bench sync them like I should have done the first time.
New fuel lines - replacing the ORIGINAL fuel filter on a 50000km bike without replacing the lines is a fools game, no wonder it feels like a pilot jet is blocked
Blast out the carb jets AGAIN
Braided brake lines?
While it's all in bits get the seat sent off to that Polish guy on ebay who re-upholsters them

Anybody else finding nasties as they prepare for the new season?
« Last Edit: 20 March 2018, 07:40:18 pm by redmandan »

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Re: Took the sprocket cover off and guess what was hiding beneath
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2018, 09:16:48 pm »
I don't want to sound like a tit but what am I looking at? I don't see anything wrong?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2018, 09:29:38 pm »
I don't want to sound like a tit but what am I looking at? I don't see anything wrong?

i think thats the old style nut but cant remember what the new one looks like despite being in there only today
however it is still in the right place it doesnt look like its shifted

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2018, 09:44:11 pm »
Yep, that's the old 9mm nut, with the new 12mm nut fitted, there are no threads visible on the shaft.

Exceptionally clean sprocket area

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2018, 09:49:02 pm »
I understand, pretty sure I've got the old nut on mine too, better order the new one really... very clean under that cover mind!

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2018, 09:50:40 pm »
thanks for reminding me though i needed to order another lock washer or two as im switching between front sprockets at the moment for some back road shenanigans for a promo vid

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2018, 10:47:55 pm »
There is something very wrong under there. Where is the oil - I can see dust.
If its still on then all seems good and you have the correct thickness output shaft it seems, but put the 12mm nut on to be sure.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2018, 11:08:45 pm »
To save those searching just under £6 delivered,

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer/98-99/picture/front_sprocket_retaining_nut_kit_oem/   

Maybe cheaper from Yam dealer but make sure they order the 12mm upgraded nut.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2018, 11:25:53 pm by bandit »

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2018, 04:43:47 am »
I spent a long time cleaning all the gunk out, and there was a lot. I gave the chain a real good scrub as well. Unfortunately when re installing the swing arm chain protector I snapped the bolt off. Shouldn't be too difficult to replace.

I still have to look at the cam chain tensioner which was the reason I laid the bike up in the first place.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2018, 08:28:35 am »
Thanks for that link bandit, just ordered it and saved £2 from the eBay price I was about to pay...

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2018, 09:12:09 am »
No probs Triggergee, if you don't know you need a 32mm socket & torque nut to 70NM, I would advise the use of some blue threadlock (not red) as added safety.   Smile

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2018, 09:22:25 am »
No probs Triggergee, if you don't know you need a 32mm socket & torque nut to 70NM, I would advise the use of some blue threadlock (not red) as added safety.   Smile

The new 12mm nut actually has a new torque setting of 90Nm, but due to the known issues with the threads a few of us, including me, opted to go with 80Nm so as not to overstress it.
As long as a bit of Loctite is used it should be plenty enough. I did mine years ago and not had any problems myself anyway.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2018, 12:28:42 pm »
Guys I need a bit of help with some decision making:
So I got the cam chain tensioner out with the fantastic help I found in previous threads. My CCT was at 9 clicks out of 12. I counted the free space when I took it out and counted the clicks again as I put it back in. From what I've read on here cam chains do not wear evenly and with mine being close to the full throw of the CCT maybe it's time for a new one. Opinions?

I can go ahead and buy a cam chain online and look at trying to fit it, this would be the most ambitious repair job I have ever done with quite a large chance of failure and damage to the engine. I've read about open DID chains with a rivet link, cam lobe removal and threading the new chain through using the old one. It certainly would be easier to do this with the carbs out already, if I put the bike back together again and I still have that godawful tapping sound I would feel like I wasted my time.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2018, 01:17:17 pm »
There is something very wrong under there. Where is the oil - I can see dust.
If its still on then all seems good and you have the correct thickness output shaft it seems, but put the 12mm nut on to be sure.

Agrees about that sprocket area  :eek
Mine was full of old chain lube and general gunk, that took quite a bit of scrapping/digging out and load of jizer to clean it up. WTF with that dust. I reckon punk talcum powders it, and his sprocket lol.
Defo the big 12 thick nut and a new lock washer.

My apologies PUNK I though that it was your post and talcum powdered sprocket area, but its not yours :kiss
« Last Edit: 21 March 2018, 11:25:12 pm by tommyardin »

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2018, 01:29:03 pm »
With regards to the spotless sprocket area, at work I basically have access to an unlimited supply of solvents (so long as I take it during a nightshift  ;) ). I scraped out all the gunk and then used what we call Exxsol in an old hand pump spray bottle, with a large piece of cardboard under the bike to catch all the run off. I did the whole chain with it then put some lube on to stop things going rusty while the bike is laid up for a few weeks.

Any advice on my Cam chain question above?!?!?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2018, 04:05:50 pm »
With regards to the spotless sprocket area, at work I basically have access to an unlimited supply of solvents (so long as I take it during a nightshift  ;) ). I scraped out all the gunk and then used what we call Exxsol in an old hand pump spray bottle, with a large piece of cardboard under the bike to catch all the run off. I did the whole chain with it then put some lube on to stop things going rusty while the bike is laid up for a few weeks.

Any advice on my Cam chain question above?!?!?

Sounds to me like you already know the answer, but just want reassurance.  :)
Seems like you're certainly not scared to give things a go, and as you've said you may as well do it while everything is apart if it's annoying you that much.
My chain was changed using the pull through method, probably about 10 years ago now, and it's only ever made that annoying sewing machine noise once since, but it was just in between clicks. It took a few months to go to the next notch, but it clicked as I was warming the bike up outside work one winters evening and I thought there was something wrong with the bike as the sudden silence was deafening.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2018, 07:15:03 pm »
Yeah you're right Darrsi, I'm just a bit of a pansy and need a push! The bike should have another 50000km left in it if I keep maintaining it well. I already consider that it has paid me back the €1800 I paid for it after a fantastic trip to the Alps and 2 trips to the Ardennes. If I brick the engine I'll chalk it up to experience.