Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:23 am

Author Topic: Changing Engine Oil  (Read 4238 times)

MikeBike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Changing Engine Oil
« on: 20 March 2018, 03:45:28 pm »
Hello Guys.
I wish to change the Engine Oil.
I know the manual says it takes about 3,5 litres of oil. How do you guys do not to overfill the oil reservoir? I haven´t any tools to pump it out if it has too much.
 How do you do it? Do you fill for example with 3 litres, check the level and add up and check again the level untill it has the right amount?
Thanks
Miguel
FZS600 1998-1999

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Engine Oil
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2018, 04:26:47 pm »
Buy a cheap measuring jug, like you would use in the kitchen - typically 1ltr in size.

Measure the oil as it goes in. If you put in the amount is says in the manual then you shouldn't overfill.  If you are worried, put a bit less in and then check the levels as you add a bit more.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2018, 04:29:56 pm »
Think you'll find it says 2.5 litres, or around 2.7 litres if you change the oil filter as well.

Empty old oil then put sump plug in.
Do not overtighten it, there really is no need to.

With bike on centre stand on level ground you can start by putting in exactly 2.5 litres.

Then start the bike and let it run for a minute.

Switch off the engine, then keep your eye on the window on the bottom right of the sump.

Wait for the oil to settle for a couple of minutes and that will be your level.

On the casing next to the window there is a lower and upper level marking, you want it about two thirds up between the markings.

If you need to add more add a tiny bit at a time and repeat the above process until you get it where you want it.

Try not to overfill it though or it can cause other issues.

« Last Edit: 20 March 2018, 04:31:16 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2018, 05:05:11 pm »
Only bit I would add is that you might want to replace the sump plug washer when you put it back in

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2018, 05:42:58 pm »

If you need to add more add a tiny bit at a time and repeat the above process until you get it where you want it.

I usually find that about an egg cup full extra at a time is all it needs
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2018, 06:22:00 pm »
Yup you can meaure out, and measure in. 

Or    Most oil tubs have rough markings on the side.

So once I've drained the oil and changed the filter, using a funnel I'll pour in the oil till I've put a good couple litres in, then bit by bit till I cover the bottom marker in the window.  Start bike and run for half a minute to fill the filter.   Quickly top up bit by bit till I've clearly covered that bottom mark again.  The bike now has enougth oil to run safely.

However it's now got cold oil all round the engine, that'll take time to all drain into the sump.  So whether I take it for a run or not straight after the oil change, I'll let it sit overnight on the centre stand, all oil will be in the sump come morning, and then I'll top up to the max mark - particulary so as the gen1 thous like it up to the upper mark. 

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2018, 07:24:44 pm »
I usually find that about an egg cup full extra at a time is all it needs

Pigeon or ostrich?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2018, 09:20:43 pm »
My sump window is useless now, can't see anything through it at all, so with a new filter on i just put in 2.7 litres and it seems to be fine.

Good idea measuring what comes out first though.
Only done that once before when i got the bike, did a change and pulled FOUR litres out of it.  :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2018, 10:44:12 pm »
Chicken.

For me there is no point in measuring what comes out because most of it is all over my hands-downpipes-driveway.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2018, 09:28:51 am »
Chicken.

For me there is no point in measuring what comes out because most of it is all over my hands-downpipes-driveway.

It could certainly be a pointer for me though, as the window may as well not be there.
I even tried deliberately over filling it to make sure but I there was no oil movement in the window at all, so I just emptied it out again, measured the right amount then lobbed it back in.
If I had any type of oil leak it would become a problem, but I don't even need to top up between changes so it all seems absolutely fine and if there ever was something I hadn't spotted then that's what the oil light is for. I would know if there was a leak though as my garage floor would tell me.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2018, 01:35:22 pm »
Strange how the glass has gone funny, maybe its that 99p oil you use off ebay  :pokefun :lol

I usually make a little plastic shoot to guide the oil over the horizontal pipe section but that doesn't leave enough room for my fingers to remove the plug which leads me to dropping it in the bucket of oil and having to fish it out.     
« Last Edit: 21 March 2018, 01:36:03 pm by fazersharp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2018, 04:10:40 pm »
Strange how the glass has gone funny, maybe its that 99p oil you use off ebay  :pokefun :lol

I usually make a little plastic shoot to guide the oil over the horizontal pipe section but that doesn't leave enough room for my fingers to remove the plug which leads me to dropping it in the bucket of oil and having to fish it out.   

Nowt wrong with the oil I was the guinea pig for, and i'll certainly be using it again.  :thumbup

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2018, 04:56:24 pm »
I even tried deliberately over filling it to make sure but I there was no oil movement in the window at all, so I just emptied it out again, measured the right amount then lobbed it back in.

Maybe there was too much in there before hand. Have you tried looking at the oil glass when the engine had ben drained to see the difference :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2018, 05:41:15 pm »

Maybe there was too much in there before hand. Have you tried looking at the oil glass when the engine had ben drained to see the difference :pokefun

Maybe it needs an egg cup full of Windolene?
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2018, 06:04:00 pm »
Hey up, just bought a sump plug washer does it matter which way it goes on? Noticed it not same both sides

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2018, 06:04:33 pm »

Maybe it needs an egg cup full of Windolene?
:rollin

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2018, 06:06:26 pm »
Hey up, just bought a sump plug washer does it matter which way it goes on? Noticed it not same both sides
I have actually always thought that too, have always managed to study the one still attached to the bolt to put the new on on the same way

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2018, 06:08:30 pm »
The bonded seals or Dowty washers are a good alternative  and mean you can re-use them. Copper washers an be annealed and re-used too

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2018, 07:05:01 pm »

Nah, it was bugging me so i spent quite a while doing things a bit at a time trying to get something to show up in the window, but it just didn’t. I drained it 3 times that day i think, but the window stayed the same.
Now i just warm the bike up so the oil drains more freely, let it do it’s thing, then stick 2.7 litres in after the new filter is on and the job’s a good’un.

Still don’t get why the have that little window within a window either, what’s all that about?

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2018, 08:40:27 pm »
Yeah that was my plan fazersharp, just hoping it's got the right type on at the moment and the right way, Lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 March 2018, 10:03:05 pm »
Chicken.

Just realized you were answering a previous question  :lol