Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:49 am

Author Topic: 15w oil in front end  (Read 14412 times)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: 15w oil in front end
« Reply #50 on: 18 March 2018, 03:34:52 pm »
not got oil yet but got the afternoon free so pulled the forks and dismantled - sat upside down draining now

well what an aroma, not as fishy as described more smells like black treacle same colour aswell
can see the contaminents in it a mile away so im glad im changing it out - its one of those things people tend to forget about
- do wish i had ordered fork seals aswell but i totally forgot

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 March 2018, 06:00:50 pm »
WTF IS HAPPENING
all i asked was about some oil weight in forks then it turned into changing springs which is fair and on subject
then it turned into the whole philosophical argument of the meaning of opinion
and then its turns into gearing systems for the lycra brigade

- FUCK IT im putting 15w in tommorow and will let you know if its a bit too harsh
might even put the 14t sprocket on and go be a hooligan down my country roads

Hey Punk put 15 weight in one side and 7.5 weight in the other see which you prefer. :lol

The crack is good in Cricklewood lol!

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 March 2018, 03:57:27 pm »
it really liked cornering with 7.5 in the right hand side
couldnt get take a left off the roundabout though  :lol :lol :lol

feels pretty good with 15w in it but i havent had a chance to really get out on the open roads yet only had it up to about 40 but its taking the pot holes alot better (i even started aiming for them to see how it took the ones i know are bone shakers)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 March 2018, 04:43:03 pm »
 :eek
Cool it looks like a success  :thumbup

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 March 2018, 08:45:53 pm »
15w arrived today but way to cold for the shed! And have to work all week , hopefully get it changed Wednesday, Quick question, the air gap is measured with spring and Spacer out of the fork right ?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 March 2018, 09:05:41 pm »
Yep.Spring out and fork compressed.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19 March 2018, 09:11:59 pm »
Yep.Spring out and fork compressed.

:thumbup

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 20 March 2018, 08:04:15 am »
I was wondering the same thing about spring in or out, thanks again foccers

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 20 March 2018, 08:19:44 am »
Empty compressed legs, with the exception of the damper rods, they are in place.
(Stanchion pushed down inside the bottom sliders)
One thing to watch out for is that it is possible for the stanchions to jam right down at the bottom of the sliders if you bang them down or even allow them to drop down inside under there own weight, they can be a bugger to shift, I had to hold one leg clear of the ground and whack it several blows with a leather mallet on the caliper mounting lugs to free it.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2018, 08:26:09 am by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20 March 2018, 10:23:01 am »
Empty compressed legs, with the exception of the damper rods, they are in place.
(Stanchion pushed down inside the bottom sliders)
One thing to watch out for is that it is possible for the stanchions to jam right down at the bottom of the sliders if you bang them down or even allow them to drop down inside under there own weight, they can be a bugger to shift, I had to hold one leg clear of the ground and whack it several blows with a leather mallet on the caliper mounting lugs to free it.

yeah this is a pain in arse - i clamped it between my legs and pulled with all my oil hands might and this happened
https://youtu.be/K8gwEpb37xw?t=8s
i too resorted to a leather mallet

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 20 March 2018, 10:31:19 am »
I'll watch out for that. Any recommendations on 15w fork oil brands and what's the difference between RSF SF and SAE?
« Last Edit: 20 March 2018, 11:08:59 am by Triggergee »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 20 March 2018, 11:09:35 am »
i used silkolene rsf15 simply because im not completly sold on motul stuff and the rsf15 was the next known brand for the right money from a big supplier
and as its from M&P the delivery is shit hot (dhl) and can be sure its not sat on the shelf for years
http://r.ebay.com/ILsd9Y

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 20 March 2018, 11:13:55 am »
also just read this on a pyramid parts advert
RSF 7.5' is the new term for 'SAE 10'
[/size]how that works i dont know, but could lead to some confusion

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 20 March 2018, 02:22:35 pm »
also just read this on a pyramid parts advert
RSF 7.5' is the new term for 'SAE 10'
how that works i dont know, but could lead to some confusion

I went for Silkolene as it a name I knew and it is sold as Fork Oil its is apparently not the same as SAE 15 weight.
I started off with RSF15 and adjusted it by removal of a measured amount of RSF15 and replace it with the same amount of RSF30 until I was happy with the viscosity.
working it out the best I could I ended up with RSF 17-18 with the emulators set on 2.5 full turns in from initial spring contact (That is emulator spring not main fork spring)

If you do mix RSF do a longish run before you decide to adjust it some more, it took about 40 mile for the forks to settle down I think it is to do with the two viscositys' mixing or blending together.       

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 22 March 2018, 09:18:49 pm »
15w in and Its made a world of diffrence in my opinion here's my reaction  https://youtu.be/egu9uA7nOIk

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 22 March 2018, 09:32:56 pm »
im loving the new oil - when my good camera gets back tomorrow i will show what the old oil had turned into
i have left it in a jar to let it settle and its some what unnerving - god knows how old it was

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 22 March 2018, 09:58:21 pm »
im loving the new oil - when my good camera gets back tomorrow i will show what the old oil had turned into
i have left it in a jar to let it settle and its some what unnerving - god knows how old it was
Ohhhhhhhhhh great thats  another thing I have got to do now then before I ride - Chain and sprockets soon, - including a swing arm strip and re lube (using a continuous chain ) I don't ride enough now as it is -- very tempted to by something new to cut out all the maintenance although I do get great satisfaction from doing my own maintenance it has to be said. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 23 March 2018, 12:35:00 am »
i have a scotoiler that came with the bike but i took it off instantly - they are easily forgot to be topped up
but what is an extra 10 mins to properly clean and lube your chain when you wash it (scotoilers dont clean)
my bikes are misused, mistreated and generally given a hard time but when it comes to maintenance they are looked after
forget buying a scotoiler and just buy a paddock stand as it far more usefull for everything

when you say you are using a continuous chain do you mean one that is riveted - i should hope so as split link chains shouldnt be used on bikes this size (the previous owner fitted one and it didnt end well for me but could have been worse if it flung the link 10 mins earlier)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #68 on: 23 March 2018, 05:32:16 am »
i have a scotoiler that came with the bike but i took it off instantly - they are easily forgot to be topped up
but what is an extra 10 mins to properly clean and lube your chain when you wash it (scotoilers dont clean)
my bikes are misused, mistreated and generally given a hard time but when it comes to maintenance they are looked after
forget buying a scotoiler and just buy a paddock stand as it far more usefull for everything

when you say you are using a continuous chain do you mean one that is riveted - i should hope so as split link chains shouldnt be used on bikes this size (the previous owner fitted one and it didnt end well for me but could have been worse if it flung the link 10 mins earlier)

With a Scottoiler my chain has been clean - and lubed. Practically never needed to clean it since the installation of the system. It does fling off, along with all the stuck dirt, and is continuously reapplied, of course.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 23 March 2018, 06:16:54 am »

No, he means it comes as a one piece endless chain.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 23 March 2018, 06:25:08 am »
Ohhhhhhhhhh great thats  another thing I have got to do now then before I ride - Chain and sprockets soon, - including a swing arm strip and re lube (using a continuous chain ) I don't ride enough now as it is -- very tempted to by something new to cut out all the maintenance although I do get great satisfaction from doing my own maintenance it has to be said.

I've been saying this is a simple and inexpensive improvement for years, why are you suddenly convinced now?  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 23 March 2018, 06:32:17 am »

It most certainly felt a damn site better to me when i put the 15w oil in although like a lot of people including yourself i've no doubt that the old 10w oil that was previously in there was either so iffy and/or old that anything would've been an improvement, but as said, to me the handling is way better than before and gives a much more stable feel to the front end.  :thumbup

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 23 March 2018, 09:22:08 am »
I'm with Slaninar, Scottoiler all the way. It includes a cleaning fluid and chains last 3+ times as long, that's proven. The container holds enough oil for at least 500 miles, so how can you forget to top it up? Would you forget to check tyre pressures? Better Scottoil than that sticky dirt magnet stuff that comes out of cans.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 23 March 2018, 10:25:36 am »

I've been saying this is a simple and inexpensive improvement for years, why are you suddenly convinced now?  :lol
Yes I meant a continuous chain, thank you.
And its just that I don't listen to you that's all
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 23 March 2018, 10:40:09 am »
I'm with Slaninar, Scottoiler all the way. It includes a cleaning fluid and chains last 3+ times as long, that's proven. The container holds enough oil for at least 500 miles, so how can you forget to top it up? Would you forget to check tyre pressures? Better Scottoil than that sticky dirt magnet stuff that comes out of cans.

What does that mean?  :lol