Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:19 pm

Author Topic: 15w oil in front end  (Read 14413 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 15w oil in front end
« Reply #25 on: 17 March 2018, 11:19:44 am »
"...it never ends..."

"...But i will just add..."  :rolleyes

The Chuckle Brothers were right, two's company.......  :rollin

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2018, 02:26:27 pm »
Think we need a rename on this thread ""Tommy v darrsi The bitch off""  :lol

15w going in my forks next weekend and hoping to get linear springs matched to my weight when I have the funds,

When changing springs will the damper rods be ok or should I do the emulator mod at same time ?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #27 on: 17 March 2018, 03:39:01 pm »

was thinking the same thing lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 March 2018, 10:52:29 pm »

15w going in my forks next weekend and hoping to get linear springs matched to my weight when I have the funds,

When changing springs will the damper rods be ok or should I do the emulator mod at same time ?

Ceramic Hobs at 30 pastries.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 March 2018, 11:04:19 pm »
The is a no animosity between darrsi and me, we just hold differing opinions, and that is OK, but his are wrong and mine are always right, and to that end I just have to point that out to him sometime as say

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 17 March 2018, 11:05:30 pm »
Ahh! bless him he is OK really.  :lol   :lol   :lol 

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 March 2018, 11:11:33 pm »
Some might say a love hate relationship.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 March 2018, 11:13:18 pm »
new event for the spring meet
celebrity deathmatch
celebrity deathmatch

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17 March 2018, 11:30:05 pm »
LOL!  I love the crack, I worked on the building sites most of my life and since I retired 3 years ago it is the crack with the lads that I miss more than anything, its the wind up and the none stop piss take that was so good.

I loved them lads like brothers, I still keep up to date with some, like my mate Wildplumb, but I really do miss the none stop wind up, keep on taking the piss right up to the point a little red light almost flashes in the middle of a bloke forehead than stop before he kills you, lol then say to him about half an hour afterwards 'You alright mate you seen a bit quiet'
lol then take 3 steps backwards rapidly. :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 March 2018, 11:32:21 pm »
I'm sure darrsi is fine.

:rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 March 2018, 11:49:33 pm »
I'll survive, as you say it's just banter, although still not sure why i'm being persecuted for not ever knowing something to happen, which if you read back is all i said?  :lol

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 March 2018, 11:55:18 pm »
who doesnt love a bit of wind up banter
and then i go and instigate it some more with celebrity deathmatch lol
the winding up is one of the main things i miss from the building sites

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #37 on: 18 March 2018, 07:16:20 am »
FFS darrsi leave it mate, this could go on and on you bitch me I bitch you back and have a pop at everything each other says, and it never ends.
But I will just add, as stated earlier if it is an Opinion it is neither honest or dishonest, it can be a genuine Opinion, a firmly held Opinion, or humble Opinion, but that does not make it honest or right, but something that someone has thought through and chosen to believe, and a lot of us believe a lot of stuff that just is not true.

Under that tough exterior of yours I believe that there is a genuine kind hearted, thoughtful man.
But then I rethink the last statement above about us believing stuff that isn't true, and come to a firmly held Opinion that you are just a twat.  :eek

Not a native English speaker, but the dictionary says that an opinion can be honest:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/honest

Honest as saying what you really do think (believe). My honest opinion is that the Earth is not flat, but I've never traveled a full circle so I could be wrong. Possibly, but not probably.

As for the topic, I agree with your first post about using the correct rate (best not progressive) springs, appropriate valves and oil viscosity.

I've put some steel inserts between the preload adjusters and FZS's standard springs, and added some more viscous oil, getting a bit better handling on the road and the track. At least for my taste. It's far from an optimal, but a rather cheap fix (or "fix", depending on one's criteria).

I also agree that using an oil that is (way) too viscous can cause problems.

P.S. If you're that much into Darrsi, why not ask her for a drink, that's what grown ups do.   :rollin
« Last Edit: 18 March 2018, 07:25:10 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 March 2018, 07:44:33 am »
FFS darrsi leave it mate, this could go on and on you bitch me I bitch you back and have a pop at everything each other says, and it never ends.
But I will just add, as stated earlier if it is an Opinion it is neither honest or dishonest, it can be a genuine Opinion, a firmly held Opinion, or humble Opinion, but that does not make it honest or right, but something that someone has thought through and chosen to believe, and a lot of us believe a lot of stuff that just is not true.

Under that tough exterior of yours I believe that there is a genuine kind hearted, thoughtful man.
But then I rethink the last statement above about us believing stuff that isn't true, and come to a firmly held Opinion that you are just a twat.  :eek

Not a native English speaker, but the dictionary says that an opinion can be honest:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/honest

Honest as saying what you really do think (believe). My honest opinion is that the Earth is not flat, but I've never traveled a full circle so I could be wrong. Possibly, but not probably.

As for the topic, I agree with your first post about using the correct rate (best not progressive) springs, appropriate valves and oil viscosity.

I've put some steel inserts between the preload adjusters and FZS's standard springs, and added some more viscous oil, getting a bit better handling on the road and the track. At least for my taste. It's far from an optimal, but a rather cheap fix (or "fix", depending on one's criteria).

I also agree that using an oil that is (way) too viscous can cause problems.

P.S. If you're that much into Darrsi, why not ask her for a drink, that's what grown ups do.   :rollin

Thank you Slanlinar for your words of wisdom, your not darrsi's brother of dad are you????? just asking. (Let me see if I can get that little red light flashing)

Is an opinion the same as a choice then, I can choose not to like something and then give an opinion on it but is not absolute or the truth in anyway, it is just an Opinion that belongs to me, and I may strongly hold to it, but that does not make it fact or the truth.

Anyway thank you Slaninar for adding your Opinion, I feel you may have the same effect as a stick wiggling about in a hornets nest, but you may not agree, but that is your Op...............

Here we go again. 

PS: I agree about the world being flat if it was round like some are saying the water would all run off, I don't know! Some people have not thought that one through. :lol

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #39 on: 18 March 2018, 08:00:26 am »
Thank you Slanlinar for your words of wisdom, your not darrsi's brother of dad are you????? just asking. (Let me see if I can get that little red light flashing)

Why, do I look like Darrsi?  :)

Is an opinion the same as a choice then, I can choose not to like something and then give an opinion on it but is not absolute or the truth in anyway, it is just an Opinion that belongs to me, and I may strongly hold to it, but that does not make it fact or the truth.

You can define opinion whichever way you like. However, when talking/discussing with other people, it helps if you use the terms everybody understands, so you are certain to be talking about the same thing. A common example from my bicycle wrenching practice is when someone says the bike won't go to the 2nd gear. I need to confirm what the 2nd gear is. Which combination of the (2 or 3) front chainrings and (5 to 12) rear chainrings they consider to be the 2nd gear, before trying to determine the problem.

Same goes for opinion. Look it up in a dictionary, and you can be fairly certain that is what the other discussion participants use when saying "my opinion" (honest, or not).
So while opinion has it's limits (depending on one's knowledge and experience, objectiveness, etc.), using the word "honest" can be perfectly correct. As a way to say you really believe what you're saying (for what that's worth, again, depending on one's knowledge etc...). It could also be used as a demagogy instrument, trying to convince people to take your point of view (I know a lot more such "tricks" in Serbian, so can't think of another good English example - but almost any politician's speech will do) though I don't think it's the case with Darrsi's posts here.

Anyway thank you Slaninar for adding your Opinion, I feel you may have the same effect as a stick wiggling about in a hornets nest, but you may not agree, but that is your Op...............

Here we go again. 

I agree. I think the same for your posts following your first one (which is very good IMO) in this topic.

PS: I agree about the world being flat if it was round like some are saying the water would all run off, I don't know! Some people have not thought that one through. :lol

Yes. I was amazed in how many details.    :rollin
« Last Edit: 18 March 2018, 08:06:06 am by Slaninar »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #40 on: 18 March 2018, 08:25:02 am »
Another example, analogue to Darrsi's. Bicycles again.

SRAM and Shimano components don't mix according to both the manufacturers manuals, data and recommendations. However, for one example, I've set up SRAM front derailleurs with Shimano front shifters to work perfectly fine - at least for both mine and the user's criteria. It just shifts as good as it shifts. When someone asks if it can work, I always say that it works "based on my knowledge and experience" (long way of saying IMO :)  ). Just to be certain I've given a "full disclosure", since manufacturers say otherwise.

On the other hand, if someone asks if Deore brakes are better than the Acera ones (higher and lower class Shimano equipment), it is also my opinion that Deores are better. But since both the manufacturer, testers, practically any other mechanic etc. also claim the same, I don't bother stressing out that it's my opinion, or based on "my knowledge and experience".

In both those cases, all I can say when asked a question is my opinion. It is (IMO) understood that it's an honest one - liars and demagogues can be spotted by often using the words honest, honestly etc (again IMO - not a psychologist, sociologist or similiar).  :)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 March 2018, 10:59:12 am »
WTF IS HAPPENING
all i asked was about some oil weight in forks then it turned into changing springs which is fair and on subject
then it turned into the whole philosophical argument of the meaning of opinion
and then its turns into gearing systems for the lycra brigade

- FUCK IT im putting 15w in tommorow and will let you know if its a bit too harsh
might even put the 14t sprocket on and go be a hooligan down my country roads

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #42 on: 18 March 2018, 12:27:16 pm »
WTF IS HAPPENING
all i asked was about some oil weight in forks then it turned into changing springs which is fair and on subject

- FUCK IT im putting 15w in tommorow and will let you know if its a bit too harsh

From my "experiments":

15w oil, all else being left equal will result in the forks resisting to go down a bit more, but also coming back up a bit slower. Hard braking followed by lots of smaller bumps will be a bad experience with that setup, forks will not go back from bottoming out quickly enough.

Adding more spring preload, without replacing the springs, will fix that to a point, but then you get a lot less sag when the bike is going at constant speed, which results, gain, in that lots of smaller bumps will cause more problems (forks will practically be bottomed "downwards" - no room to move away from the bike).

For the track, it's generally better than stock, for the street - only if you are on the heavier side.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 March 2018, 12:41:33 pm »
WTF IS HAPPENING

Sounds like a plan to me.
Make sure you use the correct levels as i've seen people on YouTube before giving incorrect measurements due to the year of the bike, and that will make an unwelcome difference.
My bike has older forks on for example without the adjusters so needs different levels to the year of the bike in the manual.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 March 2018, 12:44:04 pm »
I feel a bit left out and missing a fight. My honest opinion is that you must all be fat arses because I find the forks just perfect for my weight the way they came out of the factory. BUT at 20 years I can understand the springs have had some wear but would the oil of lost any of its original properties.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 18 March 2018, 12:51:33 pm »
I feel a bit left out and missing a fight. My honest opinion is that you must all be fat arses because I find the forks just perfect for my weight the way they came out of the factory. BUT at 20 years I can understand the springs have had some wear but would the oil of lost any of its original properties.

Think you're due a change mate.  :lol

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/oil-change-intervals-your-suspension-street-savvy

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 March 2018, 12:57:01 pm »

Think you're due a change mate.  :lol

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/oil-change-intervals-your-suspension-street-savvy
Hmm I see, for me it would defiantly be OEM because if there has been a degradation then its been slow and I have not noticed it so wouldn't want to over do the the difference by using 15w. I am Only at 20k miles though.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

daviee

« Reply #47 on: 18 March 2018, 01:15:33 pm »
not as big a difference from 10 to 15 weight oil i changed mine and tbh all it done was firm it up a bit

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 March 2018, 02:37:33 pm »
not as big a difference from 10 to 15 weight oil i changed mine and tbh all it done was firm it up a bit

That was my whole point to begin with  :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 March 2018, 03:17:19 pm »
<quote> not as big a difference from 10 to 15 weight oil i changed mine and tbh all it done was firm it up a bit  </quote>
Isn't that that the point of heavier oil?