Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:05 pm

Author Topic: True colours shining through, True colours that's why I love you.  (Read 13210 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: True colours shining through, True colours that's why I love you.
« Reply #50 on: 05 February 2018, 11:37:12 pm »
Well I rang my mate up to ask him if I could use his bench grinder and polishing mops and the selfish foccer has only gone on holiday with his Mrs to Jamaica, thoughtless bugger.
So had to resort to the traditional method, Out with the different grades of Wet and Dry and soapy water, Brasso followed up with Autosol, 7 hours later this is the result on the clutch cover.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 23 February 2018, 11:34:09 pm »
Just a quick update on my winter project, this are going well in the Shent or it it a Ted. (Workshop)
My shed is so jammed full of stuff I had to resort to putting up a large frame tent in the back garden, I am using that as a workshop for the renovation, it works surprising well as a workshop I have put down a 3/4" Plywood floor in there and constructed a bench, lots of power points, lights, WiFi extender from the house and a bloody great electric fan heater, all the comforts of home without the interruptions of normal life.

Anyway Honda C90 is almost back together, Had one issue with the electrics when I switched an indicator on all four came on, it was the same when I switched left or right, the problem was in the indicator warning light, I messed about for about 6 hours trying to sort that one.
The old adage came into play that the problem is often staring you in the face, but fail to see it, the indicator warning light is the one thing that is common to both left and right indication and there it was in the speedometer dial staring me in the face. :'( anyway it is sorted now  :D

With a bit of luck should be ready to kick the old girl over tomorrow evening and hopefully she will burst into life, rather than in flames. :thumbdown
Fuel tank to go on with new fuel line, carb to go on (All nice and clean), exhaust, and chain and chain guard to fit, horn, and legshields. found a great big crack in the legshields when I cleaned them up I knew there was a lump broken out of them but this large crack has focced them, so for now I have cut them down, I will see how it goes and if I don't like it I can purchase a new one, but sadly my budget on the bike had been exceeded already.
£400 was my budget, spent £460 not including the £200 I paid for the bike, I know if I eBay-ed the bike I would easily get my money back as they are going for mega money.
Its been a great 6 week project stripping the old girl down to the last nut and bolt, sand blasting all the metal work, and respraying, including respraying all the plastic panels and fork shields.

Bit of advice for anyone completely stripping a bike down is take shed loads of photos of everything before you remove it, especially all the wiring, mark cables that go together with a permanent maker pen (Don't like to say a Sharpie, cos he gets punchy :lol I used a series of lines, crosses, stars anything that you can match up.
Anyway this is the old girl as of tonight.
Oh! got the log book all sorted out and it's registered in my name and on a a Sorn Statement for now.

« Last Edit: 23 February 2018, 11:58:15 pm by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #52 on: 24 February 2018, 12:27:55 am »
Everytime i see an update on this project i get a little excited to see whats happend
she is looking good give yourself a pat on the back.
i enjoy seeing an old bird come to life (but not at the strip club, that once was enough)

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24 February 2018, 07:54:53 am »
Yes: very nice job. Obviously the work of a perfectionist.  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24 February 2018, 08:09:47 am »
Nice work tommy  :thumbup .....keep the updates coming , makes good reading while we're not riding our fazers...
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 February 2018, 08:34:34 pm »
Bit of advice for anyone completely stripping a bike down is take shed loads of photos of everything before you remove it, especially all the wiring, mark cables that go together with a permanent maker pen (Don't like to say a Sharpie, cos he gets punchy :lol I used a series of lines, crosses, stars anything that you can match up.
X and lines a good idea as I was doing some stuff and thought I would be cleaver R=red / B-Blue  / B- brown --- wait a min STUPID I might get caught out with B for brown and B for blue so I added the next letter only to realise that when I came to connect back up I had 2 that said BL  - cleaver arse Bl for blue and a BL for black   :wall
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24 February 2018, 11:31:27 pm »
X and lines a good idea as I was doing some stuff and thought I would be cleaver R=red / B-Blue  / B- brown --- wait a min STUPID I might get caught out with B for brown and B for blue so I added the next letter only to realise that when I came to connect back up I had 2 that said BL  - cleaver arse Bl for blue and a BL for black   :wall

Also if you have 3 or 4 pairs  blues in a headlamp shell or under the seat you knackered using B & G & R.

Using symbols no mater what the colour of the wire you cant get it wrong, XXX or XX or X, or *** or ** or *, or 111 or 11. mark them before unplugging, you get the picture.

Mrs Bought me a New Skid Lid for the C90 today, open faced Duchini

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 February 2018, 02:08:55 am »
your mrs bought you a helmet to match a c90, one question- Does she have a single sister ????
best reaction i have ever got has been - YOU BOUGHT ANOTHER PROJECT!!!!!!!
at that point i chose to be single as bikes dont complain when i ride them too hard

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 March 2018, 10:04:27 pm »
TED is finished.
Did the last of the work to him today, decided to try for an MOT this afternoon, rang A-Force Motorcycles at about 1-00 am hoping to get it done either today or tomorrow, Their response if you want it done today we will make a space, I arrived at 3-05 by 3-10 it was in the workshop, Darren one of the owners of A-Force Motorcycles lent me some spanner to I could adjust the angle of the heel and toe gear change, he then did a thorough job of going over the bike for me gave me a couple of off record advisories then MOT'ed TED for me, yes he passed with flying colours.
Darren's comment was its the smartest C 90 he has seen in many a year. :thumbup

If you are in the Hampshire area and want work done I would highly recommend these guys to you 'A-Force Motorcycles of Aldershot' run by two brothers Alex and Darren.
They do the stuff on my Fazer FZS 600 that I can not do, or, do not want to do. Skilled guys and not greedy money wise that want you to be happy and become a loyal customer IE: they want you back.

Honda insured now and MOT tested, off to the P/Office tomorrow to tax it, £18-00 a year, can't be bad. Can not tax it online as TED has a SORN statement on him so has to be done in person at P/Office.

It has been an interesting project and also an enjoyable one, the whole project (including purchase price of the bike £200) has come out at £730 including the MOT.
I will put a new exhaust system on it, there was some rust under the silencer so I painted it with Matt Black Heat proof paint but it has burnt off where the baffle plate restricts the gas flow, New exhaust system front to back One piece unit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EXHAUST-OEM-REPLACEMENT-SILENCER-IN-CHROME-TO-FIT-THE-HONDA-C90-CUB-83-02/192189934794?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Miriam my Daughter named the C 90 'TED' cos I used a very big Frame Tent as a workshop to do the renovation in she said it was a cross between a Tent and a Shed = TED.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07 March 2018, 10:39:10 pm »
Very smart Tommy, nice to see a project completed without any real problems.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 08 March 2018, 07:21:18 pm »
What's happened to this site? We'll be sharing knitting patterns next  :eek

Only kidding, looks like an entertaining project and a good colour to.  :)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 08 March 2018, 07:30:09 pm »
Soooo, is it a keeper?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 08 March 2018, 07:59:23 pm »

I can live with the piss taking, I taxed the Honda about lunch time today, £18 a year! what a foccing rip off :lol
Then rode it up to Wildplum's house (My mate) it meant a 9 miler up the A3 (London to Portsmouth Road) heading North, well if your heading North from anywhere down South it is an up hill journey heading North.
I managed 53 miles an hour at one point (according to the speedo) but it did not last very long and settled at a happy but revvey 50 mph, it seemed to hold speed along the flat and only dropped 2 or 3 miles an hour up hills.
When I left Wildplum's house and got back onto the A3 heading South I still only managed 53 MPH down hill, a couple of bigger bikes when flying by me but slowed right up and I caught up with then they parted and allowed me to pass between them both giving the C 90 a good look over and smiling the then shot by me again and slowed up again and allowed me to pass between them again but this time they had swapped sides, again I got a yeah, a smile and a whoop of glee, then a thumbs up again, they then disappeared like a bolt of lightening. :eek

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11 March 2018, 10:12:33 am »

my mother has taken on a new project  :lol :lol :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 12 March 2018, 10:26:33 pm »

my mother has taken on a new project  :lol :lol :lol 

I love it  :lol Good old Mother Punk :eek

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 12 March 2018, 10:37:12 pm »
On a serious note though the C-90 has a fair amount of piston slap, and leaves a faint trail of blue smoke behind when your giving it the beans
(Mind you your always giving it the beans)
Coming up to a junction, shut down engine on the overrun, all clear, throttle round your neck, massive cloud of blue smoke  :'(
Going to put a new pot and piston on it, about 55 quid on the bay (Prob Chinese), or, might find an engineering place and have it re-bored and new piston.
anyone know of a place near Guildford/Portsmouth area that can do this.
There used to be a place near Elstead close to Farnham/Guildford but not sure if they are still there. I believe they were called 'G & S Valves'

Any way a bit of piston slap has not spoiled the project, a mornings work and £60ish and jobs-a-goodun, its all apart of the final fiddle. :D 

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 13 March 2018, 06:45:07 pm »
Got the C90 out today and it refused to start, got disheartened so left it for a while, In the mean time the FZS started first stab on the button, went back to the Honda and tried again, it would run very lumpy with the choke on full but as soon as I moved the choke lever an eighth of an inch it would cut out. took the carb off and the bowl was full of pink oil, guess what twat put the 2 stroke fuel for the petrol strimmer in the Honda?
I also left the fuel tap on and as the fuel evaporated out of the carb, firstly because the thing was hot when I stopped, and just through normal evaporation it left pretty much neat oil in the bottom of the float bowl, with the hint of petrol it started but was so short of petrol as Soon as the choke came off in the slightest it stopped because of an incredibly week mixture, not helped by a very oily plug.

Lesson learned X 2.

1: don't put two stroke fuel in a four stroke engine.
2: Turn the bloody fuel tap off.