Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:34 pm

Author Topic: Front sprocket nut removal  (Read 2735 times)

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Front sprocket nut removal
« on: 09 March 2018, 11:27:41 pm »
 Was struggling to remove the nut so attacked it with the drill and it fell off 🙂.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket nut removal
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 11:53:29 pm »
Oops !!!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2018, 09:37:41 am »
Blimey you went straight to death-con-5 with that.
Actually from this angle the sprocket looks ok to me, why remove it, is the back gone.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2018, 03:55:46 pm »
Chain was a bit seized up so decided to do the sprockets while I was in there. Actually both sprockets did not look too shabby. Job done now anyway. 🙂

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2018, 08:33:37 am »
It makes your heart sink when you have a go at something and it it all goes Pete Tong, glad you got it sorted.  :thumbup
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2018, 09:11:55 am »
rattle gun would have got that off no probs , hell of alot of oil about in their you got an oil leak ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2018, 09:29:56 am »
rattle gun would have got that off no probs , hell of alot of oil about in their you got an oil leak ?

Chain lube mixed with dirt and shite is the cause of lumpy build up like that. Fairly standard if you have no reason to take the sprocket cover off for a long time.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2018, 09:13:41 pm »
Agreed that it looks like chain lube and crap. No signs of oil running so am not too worried.

Actually the story was that the nut was seized and I was struggling to get it off with a power bar and socket for a bit. Trying get purchase on the nut while standing on the brake leaning over from the other side of the bike.

Then said bugger it and drilled it off in a couple of minutes. If your careful it’s not a bad option in the absence of an impact gun.

Running like a dream now, ready for the good Glasgow weather 🙂

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2018, 10:06:04 pm »
Agreed that it looks like chain lube and crap. No signs of oil running so am not too worried.

Actually the story was that the nut was seized and I was struggling to get it off with a power bar and socket for a bit. Trying get purchase on the nut while standing on the brake leaning over from the other side of the bike.

Then said bugger it and drilled it off in a couple of minutes. If your careful it’s not a bad option in the absence of an impact gun.

Bike in gear, piece of 3" X 3" through the alloy wheel resting on top of the swing arm and that is the wheel held, it will not turn so no need of the brake, you can stand one side of the bike get a friend to steady it and give it some welly.

Or,
Alternatively as commented go to your local helpful garage/service station and remove the case (you can remove most of the screws at home before venturing out) get them to air spanner it loose (After flattening the lock washer) nip it back up again go home, remove it easily and clean up and fit the upgrade nut and NEW washer, make sure your really clean all the grit and crud out from behind the sprocket where it tightens against the shoulder on the output shaft before tightening up, or you will get a false torque setting and the bugger may just come loose, not forgetting the heavy duty loc-tite on the shaft/nut.
Its a great opportunity to clean all around the clutch actuating mechanism as well and give it a squirt of clean oil.     
« Last Edit: 12 March 2018, 10:06:52 pm by tommyardin »

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2018, 11:16:15 pm »
Great tips 👍

mogster

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - no
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2018, 04:09:25 pm »
reminds me of the first service i did on my bike' ended up with a  screwdriver through the
oil filter and a friend on the other side with a claw wrench. That was foccin tight and didnt need
to be as well.

daviee

« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2018, 05:23:58 pm »

if i had known you were in glasgow you could have had a shot of my  impact gun

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2018, 07:15:41 pm »
Cheers Daviee

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2018, 09:30:18 pm »
Ther first time i took my cover off there was all sorts in there, old flung off - no fling lube, stones, dead birds, had to clean it off with a spoon.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2018, 09:41:27 pm »
😂