Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:06 pm

Author Topic: Wet grip tyre recommendation  (Read 3956 times)

duxsy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Wet grip tyre recommendation
« on: 06 March 2018, 05:43:23 pm »
Hello everybody, this is my first post and I come to you for your wisdom.

I am a 2x fazer fzs600 owner, racked up >30k miles in total and it's now time for new tyres. My mechanic just let me know that michelin no longer supply the Pilot Road 3s in the sizes we need. This is terrible news, I loved them and trusted them with my life having commuted 40 miles a day on them all of the last winter.

Any recommended alternatives?

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a topic on this, but apologies if I didn't look hard enough.

Any info much appreciated,

Cheers,

D

daviee

Re: Wet grip tyre recommendation
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2018, 06:26:37 pm »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2018, 07:00:27 pm »
I was gonna say, i’m pretty sure they still do PR3’s.

I have a PR4 on the rear and i must say it’s been nothing short of fantastic for grip in the wet or slippery conditions and i would highly recommend it. Bought from Oponeo.
You’d still need to use a PR3 on the front though, as they don’t do a 110 size in a PR4.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

duxsy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2018, 08:17:32 pm »
He says he can get a pr3 front but not back and that i shouldn't mix. According to him he gets it direct from Michelin and they don't stock them anymore, and if I got them anywhere else it would be stock that was sitting on a shelf for 2 years.

I trust the guy and he's generally well rated around here and have used him for past couple of years with no issues/grievances.

After a little research I found a recommendation for a Bridgestone T30 Evo, anybody on here had any experience with these?

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2018, 08:48:00 pm »
He says he can get a pr3 front but not back and that i shouldn't mix. According to him he gets it direct from Michelin and they don't stock them anymore, and if I got them anywhere else it would be stock that was sitting on a shelf for 2 years.

I trust the guy and he's generally well rated around here and have used him for past couple of years with no issues/grievances.

After a little research I found a recommendation for a Bridgestone T30 Evo, anybody on here had any experience with these?

I think theyre the tryes used at the Ron Haslam race School

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2018, 09:28:41 pm »
the link i put up is from the makers why would he no more than they do ?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2018, 10:21:27 pm »

Ron swears by them and uses them on all his school track bikes. 
I am having one fitted on the front of my Fazer FZS 600 when she goes in for a MOT mid April.

I have a Battlax BT021 on the rear and front at the moment but find the BT 021 on the front a tiny bit twitchy, plus the tread pattern has started to feather a bit on the edges, had a couple of brown moments when cornering hard, powering out of bends.

The BT021 is great on the rear and has never caused me any doubts, but can not say the same for them on the front.
T30 Evo is ordered and awaiting my new MOT to be fitted.

I think that Ron Haslam endorsing the Battlax T30 Evo is good enough for me, if he trust his race school bikes and riders to them it's a thumbs up.  :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2018, 06:44:53 am »
Had the T30 on the rear before the PR4, and i can honestly say the PR4 is far superior in the wet.
The T30 would have the occasional slide on white lines, etc, but the PR4 has not even budged an inch in any condition i've ridden in.

As for not mixing tyres, i've never had a matching pair in 30 years riding, believe whatever you want but that's at least four incorrect things you've been told now.
So what if a tyre has been stored for TWO years, it's high grade rubber, not a loaf of bread?
At the prices Oponeo sells for world wide there is no way they have stock that's two years old of a very popular tyre, it's just simply not true.

PR4 is 100% recommended by 195 users on Oponeo as well, can't really argue with those figures.

« Last Edit: 08 March 2018, 07:02:40 am by darrsi »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2018, 07:35:20 am »
The mix recommendation is normally between brands, a PR3 front and PR4 rear is what most use including myself without issue.
In fact I have gone the route of PR3 front and PR4 rear last time I put them on the FZS1000 because I did not like the way the PR4 front wore.

Put on the PR3 front and PR4 rear and you will be fine

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2018, 07:41:46 am »
I believe that Ron Haslam Race School switched to Dunlop Roadsmart 111 for the 2017 season. I had a PR3 on the front and a PR4 on the rear fitted on the 600 in the Autumn and have been very impressed with them. I have been using T30's on the thousand for several years without complaint. Given my 'old man' riding style I could probably ride anything, as I am hardly 'stressing' them !

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2018, 10:53:21 am »
Been using rp3's and moved on to rp4's and would recommend both great tires

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2018, 01:28:25 pm »

Ron swears by them and uses them on all his school track bikes. 
I am having one fitted on the front of my Fazer FZS 600 when she goes in for a MOT mid April.

I have a Battlax BT021 on the rear and front at the moment but find the BT 021 on the front a tiny bit twitchy, plus the tread pattern has started to feather a bit on the edges, had a couple of brown moments when cornering hard, powering out of bends.

The BT021 is great on the rear and has never caused me any doubts, but can not say the same for them on the front.
T30 Evo is ordered and awaiting my new MOT to be fitted.

I think that Ron Haslam endorsing the Battlax T30 Evo is good enough for me, if he trust his race school bikes and riders to them it's a thumbs up.  :thumbup

The T30 is simply a superior tyre to the BT021, so you will undoubtedly notice a big difference and be more confident with grip in comparison.

duxsy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2018, 06:09:12 pm »
Had the T30 on the rear before the PR4, and i can honestly say the PR4 is far superior in the wet.
The T30 would have the occasional slide on white lines, etc, but the PR4 has not even budged an inch in any condition i've ridden in.

As for not mixing tyres, i've never had a matching pair in 30 years riding, believe whatever you want but that's at least four incorrect things you've been told now.
So what if a tyre has been stored for TWO years, it's high grade rubber, not a loaf of bread?
At the prices Oponeo sells for world wide there is no way they have stock that's two years old of a very popular tyre, it's just simply not true.

PR4 is 100% recommended by 195 users on Oponeo as well, can't really argue with those figures.

when you mention the t30s being worse than the pr4s in the wet, can i just double-check you mean the t30 evos and not the old t30s?

duxsy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2018, 06:16:05 pm »
Thank you very much to all for your replies, I decided I will try to get the pr3 front with pr4 back, and see what he says, fingers crossed.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2018, 08:09:13 pm »

when you mention the t30s being worse than the pr4s in the wet, can i just double-check you mean the t30 evos and not the old t30s?

D’ya what, i can’t honestly answer that?
The reason being is that i nearly always buy my tyres online and get them fitted afterwards by my mechanic, but on one occasion i had a puncture but had Slime in the tyre so it stayed inflated for me to ride to a bike tyre shop not far from my work where i paid a small fortune for a new tyre. All i know is that it was a T30 but haven’t a clue if it was an Evo as it was off the shelf and i never did my normal bargain hunt then buy?
I remember the price though, it was £165.....AFTER discount.  :eek
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 06:31:34 am by darrsi »

moffmeister

• Boffie - Yaks it like it is
    Terminally Incontinent
    The Golden Bulge
    The only gay in the village
    Moff Minogue

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 April 2018, 01:27:12 pm »
Not sure about sized for the six but on my FZ1-S I've been in PR2 for ages.  Did try PR3 and noticed little difference other than rear only lasting 2.5k miles.  PR2 rear lasts me for 4k miles and 2:1 rear/front replacement ratio (just). 

Last set were Roadtec 01s (on offer where I go £30 off pair ) - in comparison to PR2 the 01s never spun up once in the wet (good) but rear squared off badly and no way front was going to last two rears.    Got 4k out of the rear.

Now have Road 5 set on (these were on offer this time - £30 off pair) - tread pattern looks 'good' - time will tell - tbh if these hadn't been on offer I'd have gone for a set of PR2 again.

When I had my six my regular tyre was 020, 023 - tried 016 once (in the dry they were fantastic - but rear didn't last long 2k miles)

Update 26/09/18: PR5 rear lasted 5k miles  (about 1k left on front) - gone back onto PR2s and will stick with them - might get back to 2:1 ratio

« Last Edit: 27 September 2018, 11:36:27 am by moffmeister »

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 April 2018, 08:10:18 am »
Going back to the mixing recommendations, if say I had road smarts on front and rear and had a peace of metal stuck in the front tyre causing a slow puncture would I be better off putting another road smart on there or switch to the pr3?

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 April 2018, 08:52:20 pm »
Hi
moffmeister you say you had a set of Road 5 fitted
what size front do you have because i don't think they do a 110 front....