Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:43 am

Author Topic: All Good Things ...  (Read 7510 times)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: All Good Things ...
« Reply #25 on: 05 March 2018, 07:09:06 pm »
P.S If you need a standard bike to be ridden down to Spain for a Youtube tutorial, me and the Fazer would be more than willing  :rollin

Jonny, you'd be more than welcome.  But probably not the first, as a couple of others on my waiting list have said much the same.  :) 

Seriously, though, I'm not averse to doing a few down here if folk happen to be passing on a riding tour of the Costa Blanca.  You would have to be 100% sure that yours hasn't been 'Ivanised' already though!

There were about 3600 Gen 1s sold in the UK, I believe.  I think I've laid spanners on around 600 and I'll leave it to you to do the maths. ;)

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 March 2018, 07:58:14 pm »
Mike, enjoy yourself, about time.
But...... :'(
Have just returned to the forum to seek you out - picking up a '54 Gen1 tomorrow for my 25yr old lad - I'm gutted, he's gonna have to ride around without the blessing of your expertise on a standard FZS1000 - but hang on.....Costa Blanca you say?  I can feel a touring holiday coming on once he's got used to it. :)
All the best Mike and thanks for sorting my Gen1 many years ago - Polarbear put one of your friends onto it and he took it to Spain near you if I recall.  Still there?  I'd have it back any day 8)
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 March 2018, 07:35:52 am »
Welcome back to the fold and congrats on your son's accession to the ranks.  :)

Lousy timing on my part, it seems.  Sorry about that but you'd be more than welcome to visit if you're on tour down this way ... ;)

I'm not sure which of PB's mates bought your previous Gen 1 or where it might be now.  Sadly, I kind of lost touch with Trev and haven't seen him since he moved over to Mallorca.  He's been radio silent for a while.  I know he's OK-ish but he doesn't post on any of the forums these days. :(

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 March 2018, 04:40:11 pm »
 :rollin

Seriously, though, I'm not averse to doing a few down here if folk happen to be passing on a riding tour of the Costa Blanca.  You would have to be 100% sure that yours hasn't been 'Ivanised' already though!

There were about 3600 Gen 1s sold in the UK, I believe.  I think I've laid spanners on around 600 and I'll leave it to you to do the maths. ;)

sad news you are semi-retiring but enjoy yourself
do you have a record of the ones you have done? if i gave you my reg would you know if it had been done?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 March 2018, 05:55:12 pm »

Sad news you are semi-retiring but enjoy yourself
do you have a record of the ones you have done? if i gave you my reg would you know if it had been done?

Trying to retire completely but not doing too well so far  :lol

I never kept a record of reg numbers - sorry.  Didn't think I'd be doing more than a few dozen when I started in 2003.  By the time I realized I was in hundreds it seemed a bit pointless to start.  If you know the name of a previous owner, I did keep all those and might be able to help you that way.

If neither option works, I can tell how to check it yourself quite quickly. :)

JonnyFoxtrot

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 March 2018, 10:58:56 am »
If neither option works, I can tell how to check it yourself quite quickly. :)

Would be grateful for this info Mike! I haven't gone exploring enough around the bike yet, so who knows, maybe its already been done!

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 March 2018, 03:36:26 pm »
Cheers for that, Brian and AndyW. 

A great weekend all round, although as a Sassenach arriving in that part of Scotland the morning after the 'No' vote, I did feel a bit of an endangered species. ;)

I've done several trips to Scotland with the toolkit and every one was a blast.  The one at Nick's place in Eaglesham last summer was memorable, too.  Well, what I remember of it after a few hours in his local on the Friday night.  8)

Hey Mike, Sad to see you are giving up on the ivanising... It was a great weekend the last time you were at my place and all the guys were very happy with your work. The first time you were at my place was 2006! I still have my fazer and i'm about to go on an island hop adventure to the outer hebrides in May. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and you will always be regarded as a true gent and more importantly a legend in the world of fazer. If you ever fancy a trip up to Scotland, you're more than welcome to stay at mine again... Maybe less beer next time :lol  All the best, Nick.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 March 2018, 05:22:05 pm »
Nick, you're a star.  Your welcome on both of my visits was fantastic.  I can't thank you enough for your hospitality - not just to me but to all the fellas that travelled to your place on both occasions. 

The social side of the 'Ivanizing' trips is what I'll miss the most - well, that and the reactions after the test rides. :)

More beer next time - no work to be done the following morning!

Take care mate and all the very best. :)

dowtroddendave

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 March 2018, 12:55:56 pm »
Hi Mike.

Good Luck and all the best to you and your good lady.

Kind Regards

Dave.   

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 March 2018, 08:27:57 am »
hi mike...... you ivanised my bike at drillers place back in 2004 or maybe 2005 i think....... iv'e still got the old skunk..... can never part with it although its getting a bit heavy and cumbersome for my 59 year old 5 ft 5 frame.......old driller was a bit of a character...he had some kind of special deal with george whites in swindon and got hold of all the latest bikes of the time..... i still remember the big grin i had riding the fazer back to essex from swindon avoiding the motorways....

happy days
« Last Edit: 14 March 2018, 10:43:19 pm by blackcabbie »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 March 2018, 09:05:06 pm »
Wow, that was a good while back.  Sad to reflect that Driller passed away quite a few years ago, too.  Lovely place he had in the country and I was fortunate enough to have had use of his garage on a few occasions.  Not sure what his deal was with George White but he certainly got through a lot of their new bike stock. :)

Nice to know that you've held on to your Fazer for so long.  Mine's been with me since 2002 and although I don't ride it so much these days, I couldn't face the idea of getting rid of the old girl.

Cheers!

:)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 March 2018, 11:12:59 pm »
Wow, that was a good while back.  Sad to reflect that Driller passed away quite a few years ago, too.  Lovely place he had in the country and I was fortunate enough to have had use of his garage on a few occasions.  Not sure what his deal was with George White but he certainly got through a lot of their new bike stock. :)

Nice to know that you've held on to your Fazer for so long.  Mine's been with me since 2002 and although I don't ride it so much these days, I couldn't face the idea of getting rid of the old girl.

Cheers!

:)

I feel the same about my FZS 600 as I would struggle coming to terms with parting with it,
On the other hand my son said when I snuff it he is going to paint it pansy pink and stick it on eGay,  :eek  the little shit, that him crossed out of the will.
LOL

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 March 2018, 09:49:12 am »
Had the full Monty on mine 2 years ago same time as robbo and what an amazing difference it's made to the bike and still running as smooth as butter today worth every penny and more thanks a lot mike and good luck in the future

JOE

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 26 March 2018, 09:09:07 pm »
I don't post on here often, but I'd like to offer my sincere thanks for your Scottish trip last year.  I ended up selling the Fazer to another forum member recently after my father in law made an offer to buy his FZ1 I couldn't refuse (having barely ridden it since the Ivanising  :rolleyes ). It was a pleasure meeting you, best wishes to you and your family for the future.