Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:37 pm

Author Topic: Not So Flash Tune  (Read 2902 times)

Kang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Not So Flash Tune
« on: 19 January 2018, 09:19:06 am »
Purchased an 08 Fz1 with a flash-tune kit installed.

I go to use the kit only for their software to tell me the usb cable that connects the laptop to the bike harness is registered to the previous owners email address. I contact them only for them to ask me to get the previous owner email address and password >:. I then enquire about a new usb cable only to be told it will cost me $380. Needles to say I am stuck with the thing.

Just beware if your buying a 2nd hand kit or bike with a Flash-tune kit installed.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2018, 10:22:47 am by Kang »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Not So Flash Tune
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2018, 09:38:35 am »
Could you not contact the seller to ask them for the password or to reset the password and let you know what it is. Theoretically you are just using their email address as a username.

Kang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2018, 10:22:04 am »
No joy out of the FT. Tried all avenues with them. I was stunned with the price of a new cable, its basically the same as a new kit.
Don't want to be asking seller for details like that it requires his email address to use it.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2018, 10:28:18 am by Kang »

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2018, 11:45:58 am »
No joy out of the FT. Tried all avenues with them. I was stunned with the price of a new cable, its basically the same as a new kit.
Don't want to be asking seller for details like that it requires his email address to use it.

They are charging you the cost of a new kit to register a different email address for the existing kit, it's pretty shoddy practice but it makes good business sense.

I don't think the seller will have a problem letting you have his email address, it's not like you can do anything with it other than send him an email and use it to access the Flashtune software.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2018, 01:02:22 pm »
Or. .. See if the seller can register a change of email address to yours.

I contacted the previous owner of my current bike and he was quite happy to supply information and I even bought a few spare parts from him.

Get in touch. The worst that can happen is he will say no.

Kang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2018, 07:42:29 am »
So got on to Flash tune and after a few questions asked how much a new cable would be?
$380 for the cable, which equates to the price of a new kit.

So I will stick to the map already there and go about taking the bike side harness from the bike (to eradicate any memory of this ever happening)  :nana

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2018, 10:50:40 am »
So I take it you haven't contacted the seller to ask if they would be willing to help, in your first post you say that's exactly what Flash Tune suggested that you do and that is the advice you have been given here  :wall The alternative is to essentially purchase a new kit. Your reason for not contacting the seller is that you don't want to ask them for their email address - this is no different to them giving you their phone number which presumably they gave you without any issues. Personally I think FT should have a re-registering service that they could charge for and you could suggest this to them, but it's your decision not to contact the seller for assistance against all the advice given :pc

Kang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2018, 12:25:08 pm »
The sellers number has been long deleted.

Flash tune don't have a re-register service.

dazedandconfused

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2018, 04:53:17 pm »
The log book will have the previous owners name and address on it, shouldn't be especially difficult to find a number or even do it the old skool way and write him a letter, include your phone number and ask him to get in touch. I wouldn't have a problem with a request like that if it was me. I actually did exactly this to find the previous owners phone number because I wanted to confirm that it had an Exup valve when he traded it in (It did, but didn't when I bought it).
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.

Kang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2018, 12:22:45 pm »
Bike bought on foreign soil so logbook was handed in when registering it.

Kang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2018, 12:55:09 pm »
So I found an email address buried in my phone belonging to the previous owner. I mail him and he gives me his user name and password to use the software for the flashtune :thumbup
I set up the stock map and modify basic settings. I plug in to the bike and all goes well until I click to remap the bike. "Licence not found for this ECU"  :look so I reckon what happens is when you buy the software you get sent some type of file that activates the mapping.

I now have to get back on to the previous owner and see if he has the file or get on to FT and see if they can send him the licence previous purchased.
BTW and new licence is $100 that if I buy it will be sent to the previous owner.
If this fails the unit is being ripped out and the bike remapped to stock.

To say this product is user friendly is an understatement.
Same bike, same cable, same software, same login and there is still a problem.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2018, 02:51:53 pm »
This is why dynojet power commanders are so popular 😉
Sorry to hear about the trouble your having though. Nothing worse than paying good money for something that doesn't work 😤

Kang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2018, 01:34:36 pm »
Success, the software is as sensitive as the R&G rear hugger that's hanging of the bike.

You 1. have to have the cable plugged in to the bike from the laptop 2. power up the laptop. 3. turn on the bike not start it 4. open the software on the laptop.

Happy days

I was configuring the map in comfort then plugging it in to the bike then turning it on (while the software was open on the laptop), why the above makes the difference I don't know.