Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:51 am

Author Topic: Show me your winter underwear  (Read 7079 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Show me your winter underwear
« on: 27 February 2018, 12:06:15 pm »
I have taken this from the "what did you do with your Fazer thread so not to derail it.
I don't do rain but I do - do cold and been getting away with lots of thin layers, this lot

The blue is a thin camping mat -crap for camping that fits the chest and wraps all the way around to my back and is both insulating and windproof.
The kidney belt as well as being extra lower back protection is also very good at keeping your core warm.

It has been pointed out to me that I should invest in a vest
Honestly Fazersharp, mate. Learn to spend a bit of money where your favourite things are concerned (e.g. riding your bike). Get yourself one of those Pertex wind shirts, like the cyclists use. Thin as a fag paper, weighs nothing, packs down tiny in a little stuff sack. Put it on under or over a pullover, makes one hell of a difference without bulking you out. If you need to be warmer still, try a down or primaloft jacket under your bike jacket - some have a Pertex outer layer, so they are very windproof, and come in different weights, so you still don't need to bulk up too much. Wind chill is half the battle.
This is the top I use:
https://www.jackson-sports.com/en/gb/Montane-Featherlite-Pull-On/m-10281.aspx?PartnerID=2948&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom&gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2lqM2wXmauD3SheEVtyT6hXpJOH-IyJK47sT-W9iSZzOXIMN8x6geoxoCwpgQAvD_BwE
Yeah, I know, pricey  :eek  but I got mine for £25 in a sale, so look out for such.
And if I need to be even warmer, I use one of these:
https://www.climbers-shop.com/10900842/products/rab-generator-jacket.aspx

I don't want heated stuff just as thin a possible with wind stop to replace the 3 layers and the camping mat, good suggestions so far from the trimmer but looking for something that combines both. Like this https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-pro-sl-primaloft-jacket-EV305964 but I really dont want to pay that much -otherwise I will carry on with my stupid layers as they do work.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 09:39:00 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Help Keep me warm please
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2018, 12:14:22 pm »
I don't think i've ever worn that much clothing at the same time in all of my lifetime.
Maybe if i was doing a North Pole expedition.

Normally a short sleeved shirt under my jacket, or if it goes below freezing like today i'll add a vest  :lol

You seriously need to invest in heated grips, they'll make a massive difference to you out in the cold, compared to not having them at all.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 03:14:39 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2018, 12:18:50 pm »
My tank cover made my legs feel a lot warmer too, not having to grip bare metal.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2018, 12:46:25 pm »
I don't think i've ever worn that much clothing at the same time in all of my lifetime.

Normally a short sleeved shirt under my jacket,vor if it goes below freezing like today i'll add a vest  :lol

You seriously need to invest in heated grips, they'll make a massive difference to you out in the cold, compared to not having them at all.
Think we have been there with heated grips before and they are not for me.As for so many layers, If I am pootling into town in heavy traffic then I wear less and don't get cold but I dont commute or go out in crap traffic usually so my rides are all wind chillers. My legs and feet actually never get cold.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 01:05:13 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2018, 01:20:23 pm »
Anyone know anything about Bontrager B2 Windshell Long Sleeve Base Layer looks to be around £40-£60 but found somewhere I get it for £20

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2018, 01:43:53 pm »
Anyone know anything about Bontrager B2 Windshell Long Sleeve Base Layer looks to be around £40-£60 but found somewhere I get it for £20
Sharpie you are a tight fucker :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2018, 02:22:37 pm »
Sharpie you are a tight fucker :eek
I ride a 20 year old bike --------what do you think- yes tight

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2018, 04:41:04 am »

Normally a short sleeved shirt under my jacket,vor if it goes below freezing like today i'll add a vest  :lol

Think we have been there with heated grips before and they are not for me.As for so many layers, If I am pootling into town in heavy traffic then I wear less and don't get cold but I dont commute or go out in crap traffic usually so my rides are all wind chillers. My legs and feet actually never get cold.

Saying heated grips "are not for me" is just plain daft, they're for everyone who rides in cold weather, whether it's a short or long journey.
It's like going outside in the snowy weather without a jacket on. Neither are compulsory to have, but i promise you they'll both make you feel a damn site more comfortable.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2018, 10:49:15 am »

Ok out today dry but cold and had a purposeful look and feel at the way I grip and its mainly with my palm and thumb and from my knuckles to my fingertips I don't really touch the grips. Baring in mind my shit circulation in that area and my actual hands don't get cold I still don't see how heated grips will help me. I don't even use my hands much what with clutch-less changing and 2 finger braking with braided lines, I have tried wiggling my fingers around to see if that helps.
Perhaps I will just stick to short 1/2 - 1 hour blasts in the winter, after all I don't have to ride when its cold as I don't commute - but then again if I was communing I don't think my hands would get so cold as they would get used more with stop and starts and less wind blast.

So you have different hands to everyone else?
You don't touch the grips when riding? That's clever!  :lol

Heat travels, if your palms are being blasted with heat then the attached fingers will obviously get some warmth as well.

No like I said my fingers from knuckles to the tips do not really touch the grips its thumb, palms and half my fingers, and warming my palms up wont help my finger cause I have got crap circulation.   
Without going over it all again the above is a reminder
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 10:50:05 am by fazersharp »

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2018, 02:46:47 pm »
I ride all year round and currently use the EDZ layering system, base layer, mid and fleece top layer then the all important pertex  top and trousers. Despite the number of layers you don't feel like the Michelin man wearing these so they don't restrict movement.
 Someone said you have to have heated grips. Bullshit.Gloves have come a long way in recent years and can be warm all day if you buy decent ones (£120+). If you ride every day like I do mostly, it doesn't take long for heated grips to break down anyhow.
 A kidney belt, which can just be simply a wooly scarf wrapped around your midriff is a sound idea.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2018, 09:07:50 pm »
I ride all year round and currently use the EDZ layering system, base layer, mid and fleece top layer then the all important pertex  top and trousers. Despite the number of layers you don't feel like the Michelin man wearing these so they don't restrict movement.
 Someone said you have to have heated grips. Bullshit.Gloves have come a long way in recent years and can be warm all day if you buy decent ones (£120+). If you ride every day like I do mostly, it doesn't take long for heated grips to break down anyhow.
 A kidney belt, which can just be simply a wooly scarf wrapped around your midriff is a sound idea.

Never had a set of heated grips fail on me, so maybe it's just you talking your usual bullshit?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2018, 09:22:21 pm »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your winter underwear
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2018, 09:39:37 pm »
I have edited the title to make it clearer what I am looking for

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2018, 12:15:23 am »
 :eek :lol

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2018, 06:42:41 am »
that's a familiar pattern after a winter ride in snow and ice

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 March 2018, 08:07:06 am »

Never had a set of heated grips fail on me, so maybe it's just you talking your usual bullshit?

As I've said in the past, I really don't care what the hell you think as you are often abusive. 'Been on this forum for around 10 years now and noticed most of the old guard left after you started posting regularly. Obviously some others did object to your rants and abuse. Grow up.

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2018, 08:32:18 am »
I got a pair of thermals from primary £10 each for top and trousers. Then just put my normal clothes and gear over the top. Have you tried the handlebar covers the work well for keeping your fingers warm. 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 March 2018, 09:40:50 am »

As I've said in the past, I really don't care what the hell you think as you are often abusive. 'Been on this forum for around 10 years now and noticed most of the old guard left after you started posting regularly. Obviously some others did object to your rants and abuse. Grow up.

Think you'll find that i respond to abusive people, ie: you.
Rarely have you simply made a general comment or given any good advice without chucking some sort of put down within your post, and i admit things like that do tend to piss me off and i bite.
There is absolutely nothing whatsoever that is "obvious" in what you're implying either, you are again just spouting more crap to please your own little mind.
And it's not just me that you've crossed before either, so my conscience is clear, you seem to dive in, take a snipe at someone, then disappear again for months OBVIOUSLY when you realize that you're behaving like a knob and people are noticing AGAIN.
As a pointer, try and write a post giving an opinion, which will be read and accepted, rather than accusing someone of talking "bullshit" mid sentence, as comments like that do unsurprisingly tend to rub people up the wrong way!
See you in a few months.  ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2018, 09:49:27 am »

RIGHT you two  :bobby . Keep your handbags to yourself on my thread.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 March 2018, 09:56:11 am »
I got a pair of thermals from primary £10 each for top and trousers. Then just put my normal clothes and gear over the top. Have you tried the handlebar covers the work well for keeping your fingers warm. 
The thing I worry about is when the word "Thermal" is used in clothes but I have no idea what is rated a proper thermal over a normal fluffy t shirt, what give manufactures the right to call something thermal its not like CE armer that has to pass tests --- is it ?
I just can not bring myself to attach muffs im afraid.   

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 March 2018, 11:24:57 am »
The thing I worry about is when the word "Thermal" is used in clothes but I have no idea what is rated a proper thermal over a normal fluffy t shirt, what give manufactures the right to call something thermal its not like CE armer that has to pass tests --- is it ?

M&S thermal underwear I have always found to be pretty good, but you do need a wind-proof layer in there somewhere for anything like that to have a chance of working properly. Unfortunately, with not wanting handlebar muffs, you have probably just ruled out the most effective way of keeping hands warm. I don't blame you though, I've never liked the things, but then, I don't ride much when it's freezing. Lots of folk swear that summer gloves are all that's needed under them though, and combined with heated grips, you'll never experience cold hands again. I do miss my heated grips I had on the last bike, had never tried them before that.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 March 2018, 11:50:06 am »

M&S thermal underwear I have always found to be pretty good, but you do need a wind-proof layer in there somewhere for anything like that to have a chance of working properly. Unfortunately, with not wanting handlebar muffs, you have probably just ruled out the most effective way of keeping hands warm. I don't blame you though, I've never liked the things, but then, I don't ride much when it's freezing. Lots of folk swear that summer gloves are all that's needed under them though, and combined with heated grips, you'll never experience cold hands again. I do miss my heated grips I had on the last bike, had never tried them before that.

I'm not saying heated grips are the complete solution, but they are most certainly better to have than to not.
The idea of handlebar muffs have never appealed to me either, although if i did daily motorway runs then i'm sure i would reconsider the option.
I've always wanted just a simple hand guard to take the wind off the gloves, which would work really well i reckon, but there's just not enough room on my bike without them hitting the fairing.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 March 2018, 11:59:52 am »
I've always wanted just a simple hand guard to take the wind off the gloves, which would work really well i reckon, but there's just not enough room on my bike without them hitting the fairing.
Yep I agree and every winter I look into it but they just dont fit

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 March 2018, 12:18:07 pm »
M&S thermal underwear I have always found to be pretty good, but you do need a wind-proof layer in there somewhere for anything like that to have a chance of working properly.

I have just ordered this http://road.cc/content/review/177735-bontrager-b2-windshell-long-sleeve-baselayer for wind block. You will see from my picture that my leather has a generous crossover that tucks under the zip and yet I still get a draft so an extra layer of proper wind block may help.

That first one on the top left is supposed to be a thermal but it was cheap from Aldi so I doubt its thermal properties

My 15 layer system works but its a bit stupid so less but more efficient layers would be good.
Also the wind block would actually be good under my summer jacket that has so many perforations its actually too cold and draughty if I am out and back late when the temp gos down or I put it on too early in the season.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2018, 12:22:18 pm by fazersharp »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 March 2018, 02:08:25 pm »

I have just ordered this http://road.cc/content/review/177735-bontrager-b2-windshell-long-sleeve-baselayer for wind block. You will see from my picture that my leather has a generous crossover that tucks under the zip and yet I still get a draft so an extra layer of proper wind block may help.

That looks ok, but I suspect it'll still feel a bit draughty as it only has parts that are windproof. As you mentioned before, we don't have to work hard like a cyclist on our bikes, and we're going much faster, so the wind tends to seek out every gap and we're not keeping ourselves warm. But better than no windproof layer at all. Merino wool is also another good material for under layers; as mentioned in your link, it still keeps you warm if it gets wet, so if your biking top layers have seen better days and leak a bit, you can still be comfortable, and it doesn't need to be bulky to work.