Date: 23-04-24  Time: 13:09 pm

Author Topic: Show me your winter underwear  (Read 7141 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your winter underwear
« Reply #25 on: 01 March 2018, 02:14:06 pm »

I have just ordered this http://road.cc/content/review/177735-bontrager-b2-windshell-long-sleeve-baselayer for wind block. You will see from my picture that my leather has a generous crossover that tucks under the zip and yet I still get a draft so an extra layer of proper wind block may help.

That looks ok, but I suspect it'll still feel a bit draughty as it only has parts that are windproof. As you mentioned before, we don't have to work hard like a cyclist on our bikes, and we're going much faster, so the wind tends to seek out every gap and we're not keeping ourselves warm. But better than no windproof layer at all. Merino wool is also another good material for under layers; as mentioned in your link, it still keeps you warm if it gets wet, so if your biking top layers have seen better days and leak a bit, you can still be comfortable, and it doesn't need to be bulky to work.

i actually only paid £20 for it as I don't really know what I am buying and wouldn't risk £60. But that merino wool sounds a safe spend. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 March 2018, 02:37:53 pm »
:eek :lol
I've seen that view a few times when following you on a LOFO day out!  :rollin
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 March 2018, 02:45:57 pm »
Belstaff used to make a wax cotton water proof over mitten worn over winter gloves used to keep my hands warm in the cold weather.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 March 2018, 02:55:12 pm »
Belstaff used to make a wax cotton water proof over mitten worn over winter gloves used to keep my hands warm in the cold weather.
I remember those and used to have some with sheepskin mits underneath - not a lot of feel and tricky grabbing the brake, wouldn't do it now but back then on a 125 it was ok.
I laso had Derry Boots - remember those. they were very warm but U used to put a hole in the top toe from changing up so I stretched a section of a wheel barrow inner tube over my foot.     

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 March 2018, 03:01:39 pm »
Wondering if there's a glove that would have like a layer of something covering the back of the fingers, but maybe only attached to the forefinger and little finger, so finger movement isn't restricted but it stops direct contact of the wind onto the fingers?
I know what i mean, but have usually seen this design being worn by people in Canada or in extreme snow situations, and i doubt that they would've been leather. 
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 March 2018, 03:06:39 pm »
Wondering if there's a glove that would have like a layer of something covering the back of the fingers, but maybe only attached to the forefinger and little finger, so finger movement isn't restricted but it stops direct contact of the wind onto the fingers?
I know what i mean, but have usually seen this design being worn by people in Canada or in extreme snow situations, and i doubt that they would've been leather. 
Good one.
 I have actually thought the exact same thing, sort of a hand guard that is attached to your hand that would keep the wind blast off the backs of your fingers and thought about making something out of those silicone oven mitts - just the back part as they are soft and pliable and yet holds its shape   

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 March 2018, 03:09:39 pm »
I have actually thought the exact same thing, sort of a hand guard that is attached to your hand that would keep the wind blast off the backs of your fingers and thought about making something out of those silicone oven mitts - just the back part as they are soft and pliable and yet holds its shape

Army N.I. gloves! Had padding on the backs of the fingers and knuckles, so you didn't scrape them on walls if patrolling in bandit country towns  :lol
Not very warm though. Not very waterproof either. In fact, no foccin use at all  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01 March 2018, 03:10:55 pm »

Perhaps if you upgraded to a thou, you wouldn't be stuck behind him all the time  ;)   :b

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 March 2018, 05:53:35 pm »
This is only my first winter using Gerbing heated gloves, but think they're brilliant. Took a few goes to get used to plugging myself in, but they keep the whole hand warm as opposed to just the palms when using heated grips. Waterproof, reasonable feel and speaking to long time users, seem to stand the test of time. Personally I think if your hands are not cold, then the rest of your body seems to cope a lot better with adverse conditions.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 March 2018, 06:17:06 pm »
I don't ride all year round, and right now it's impossible.  Managed to get to work the last couple of days thanks to my trusty 4WD Yeti.
But I do like hill walking, including in winter if the weather is reasonable. 

My choice of base layer is pure merino wool, either Icebreaker or Smartwool, 260 weight for winter.  Not cheap, but you'll find the winter stuff going cheap in the spring.
Look after it and it'll last many years.  It's not the best at wicking but it stays warm when moist.  It's very nice against your skin (I generally hate wool).  But it can be worn for days on end without getting particulary smelly. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 March 2018, 10:18:36 pm »
My choice of base layer is pure merino wool, either Icebreaker or Smartwool, 260 weight for winter.  It's not the best at wicking but it stays warm when moist. 
merino it is then and don't think I need to worry about its wicking properties unless I piss myself

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #36 on: 02 March 2018, 07:16:45 pm »
For my top half I use a base-layer top which I got from Mountain Warehouse to go skiing.  Over this is a shirt and sweatshirt, then an "Anti Freeze" mid-layer jacket, followed by my regular textile bike jacket.

For the bottom half it's Heat Holder socks, base-layer pants, jeans and textile pants, plus my boots.

I have a set of Gerbing Heated Gloves which I will never stop singing the praises of, because they warm down the back of the hands and fingers, rather than heating the palms which lets your fingertips and backs of the hands get cold.

I also have a windproof balaclava for under my helmet if it's really cold :thumbup

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 March 2018, 07:22:42 pm »
For my top half I use a base-layer top which I got from Mountain Warehouse to go skiing.  Over this is a shirt and sweatshirt, then an "Anti Freeze" mid-layer jacket, followed by my regular textile bike jacket.

For the bottom half it's Heat Holder socks, base-layer pants, jeans and textile pants, plus my boots.

I have a set of Gerbing Heated Gloves which I will never stop singing the praises of, because they warm down the back of the hands and fingers, rather than heating the palms which lets your fingertips and backs of the hands get cold.

I also have a windproof balaclava for under my helmet if it's really cold :thumbup

Those gloves sound perfect - back of the hands and fingers

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2018, 06:54:59 am »

Perhaps if you upgraded to a thou, you wouldn't be stuck behind him all the time  ;)   :b

Naaaaaah, I'd still be captian slow, just on a faster bike!  LOL
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 March 2018, 01:31:35 pm »
Update, yesterday was the first time I had a chance to try out my new "proper" baselayer a Brontrager B2 windshell. I had a 95 mile blat. It is very thin and light and the wind sections sound sort of plasticky crinkly. Although it was about 11 degrees this time when before it was only 4 I only had the baselayer and my short sleeve rash vest under my leather and high vis and was nice and warm. I could not feel any wind blast getting through.