Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:29 am

Author Topic: New here  (Read 1769 times)

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
New here
« on: 20 February 2018, 04:15:16 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the fazer have had a 2001 fzs 600 for a couple of weeks now and have some major issues with the gearbox, I only have neutral and one gear. Should I get the gearbox replaced or would a new engine be cheaper. Everything else seemed to be running fine before hand.
I have some basic mechanical knowledge but not enough to do the job myself.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2018, 05:55:04 pm »

Hi Rikki, and welcome.
The fault may just be with the selector. If so, it is probably fixable without removing the engine as the drum and forks can be replaced from the side/underneath. The ratchet mechanism that nudges the drum round can also cause issues.
This link takes you to the problem I had and there is also a link in there to all-round spannering wizard Deefer's detailed description of the drum and forks replacement process. (Even if you don't want to tackle the job yourself it may help the mechanic you employ to do it.)

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2018, 07:19:49 am »
Thank you, I will open her up to see what I can do. That sounds exactly the same as my problem.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2018, 09:37:34 am »
It's also worth checking that the clutch is correctly adjusted of course, (apologies if that's teaching you to suck eggs).

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2018, 11:43:36 am »
Hiya Rikki and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've got a baptism of fire in the wonderful world of Fazerness. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it sorted. There's certainly plenty of helpful people here to get you back on the road. :thumbup

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2018, 12:50:46 pm »
Have ordered parts should all be here by the 5th. Have looked through your posts fazerider and been reading the Haynes manual. Is there anything I should watch out for in particular or any advice you would give before I get started?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2018, 05:16:18 pm »

Which parts did you decide you need?
I can’t think of any tips other than finding somewhere warm to work… bashing your knuckles is bad enough at the best of times, but there’s something even more excruciating about it when you’re cold. :'(

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2018, 06:02:28 pm »
Have ordered drum, forks and selector arm as a job lot. And also a new gear lever and foot peg as both are bent. Yeah unfortunately a warm work area is a no go  :'(  so I think I will and sore hands by the end.

maxzer1500

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2018, 06:47:50 pm »
Have ordered drum, forks and selector arm as a job lot. And also a new gear lever and foot peg as both are bent. Yeah unfortunately a warm work area is a no go  :'(  so I think I will and sore hands by the end.
       I would try it with the non-bent gear lever before taking too much apart, that might have been enough.

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2018, 07:47:49 am »
Yeah that was going to be my first plan, unfortunately the gear lever and foot peg are turning up last. Always the way. And don't really fancy bravin the snow.

RikkiWilliams

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2018, 05:38:07 pm »
I have managed to fix my gear change problem. The metal lip that stops the spring from moving too far had snapped off the selector rod so have changed that can't finish the job as my gasket didn't turn up.  On the down side the clutch lever just pulls straight in.