Date: 19-04-24  Time: 12:51 pm

Author Topic: Headlight - electrical questions  (Read 1873 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Headlight - electrical questions
« on: 17 February 2018, 10:36:29 am »
Morning focer font of all knowledge, some help please.

The previous owner appears to have done the headlight mod but it doesn't always work.  Sometimes I have one light, sometimes two.  What I've never had is a working passlight switch.

I'm replacing my fairing so thought I would have a look at what's going on, but like always, my knowledge is small so some help please.

I've got an addtional wire on my right hand lamp (when sitting on the bike) and I've tracked it back to the connections box.

This wire goes to a 20A fuse (seems far too big a fuse to me, what do you think?) and then it goes to a green wire that's been snipped.

I'm guessing this green wire is what operates my passing switch and they've taken this feed to do the headlight mod, would I be right?

Hopefully the atttached pictures should help show you what's going on.

So, questions:

Have they done it right?
Have they done it safely?  (that fuse seems far to big to me).
Am I right about why my passing switch doesn't work?
I'm guessing a loose connection is probably the reason why the mod works/doesn't work?
Should I keep the mod or put is back to how it was?  I'm not bothered about the twin headlight mod.  And if I do, do I just join that green lead back together?  There doesn't seem to be anything else cut.

Cheers guys

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight - electrical questions
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2018, 01:26:36 pm »
The green wire going to the red connector and fuse , do you have a picture of where it is going to in the right headlight connector? It should be going to the horizontal connector of the three connectors on the right headlight
« Last Edit: 17 February 2018, 01:27:33 pm by unfazed »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2018, 02:16:42 pm »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2018, 02:44:40 pm »
Ah ha, spot on.  Thank you.  Looks like it's been done right.  And the 20a fuse is ok because it's only there if I need to isolate it for MOT.

Cool, that's one less thing to worry about.

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
  • LIBERTAS QUÆ SERA TAMEN
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2018, 03:55:46 pm »
Hi HarryHornby.
When bought my Fazer, the previous owner had done the same, and sometimes both light were on but sometimes not.
What i discovered was that the wire that is going inside of the light bulb holder was not properly attached. So i just opened it and reattached it properly.
Ever since, both lights stays on.

Hope that helps.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2018, 09:02:37 pm »
Cool, thank you. At least I now know it's been done correctly, that was my biggest worry.  I now suspect a lose connection somewhere, I'll double check all connections before I put everything back togehter.  Cheers for the reply :-)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2018, 06:03:21 pm »
The issue with the passing light could be the switch itself and might be as simple as opening up the handlebar switch and giving the dismantled metal components of the passing button (two metal contacts and a metal spring) a good clean with some wire wool or the metal brush on a dremel. I just did this a couple days ago as my pass button had stopped working completely and after a good clean it's all sorted

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2018, 09:10:49 pm »
I did the mod on mine about 13 years ago so forgive me if I can not remember it but I did put in an inline fuse with a a bayonet connection that I use to quickly remove the fuse before the MOT which when removed returns the lights back to 1 only on. As per the mod info on the old Youku forum 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2018, 09:50:09 am »
I did the mod a few days ago and put a bullet connector neatly tucked in under the fairing by the pilot light for the MOT but I asked the garage to test it with both lights on and only disconnect the second light if it fails which it didn't, second light wasn't an issue.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2018, 11:21:50 am »
On one occasion after doing the mod an MOT inspector asked if the bike was an import because there was a slight kick up to the right in dipped headlight beam but no one else has commented.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2018, 11:30:21 am »
On one occasion after doing the mod an MOT inspector asked if the bike was an import because there was a slight kick up to the right in dipped headlight beam but no one else has commented.
You can trim the tabs of the H4 bulb by a couple of millimetres to allow the bulb to rotate clockwise a fraction.