Date: 24-04-24  Time: 03:45 am

Author Topic: Custom heated gear?  (Read 1442 times)

Coppershield

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Custom heated gear?
« on: 16 February 2018, 05:39:41 am »
Sick of this cold weather keeping me off me bike!
Any suggestions for getting custom heated gear?  I'm based in Chesterfield.
Gerbing don't do anything my size; seems they've gone down the Burton's route of sizing where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL means an anorexic stick insect.

Thanks for any suggestions (except "lose weight")!

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Custom heated gear?
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2018, 07:18:23 am »
TBH good gear should be good enough. I'm using a pair of lindstrands trousers without a thermal liner but I am wearing a mid season base layer.
And my jacket is a15 year old hein gerike model.
The only heated thing I have is gloves and grips and I find it warm enough down to about minus 10, not that we've have seen that here in blighty for a while.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2018, 08:21:25 am »
Coppershield,
You could check out the sizing of Keis heated clothing, but riders I know that have used both makes would favour Gerbing. Personally I can vouch for Gerbing gloves as they got a 600 plus mile test last Saturday in almost constant rain and kept my hands warm and dry.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Coppershield

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2018, 08:47:24 am »
I would favour Gerbing too as I've already got the wiring installed, a double controller and their trouser liner that works a treat.  Problem is I need something for the top half too and their XXXL is their largest and doesn't fit me, and I've asked them if they do custom sizes and they don't.  I'll look into the Keis, thanks.

A 25 mile commute at anything less than 5C the cold really comes through even with shirt, winter liner, bike jacket and waterproof layer on the top half (and I have heated grips and muffs).  If "good gear is good enough" then what makes of jacket would be recommended for keeping that cold out?

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2018, 10:16:03 am »
My commute is 100 miles/day, often more if I'm on site visits (it'll be 280 on Monday)
As I said I'm using a very old and very used heingerike jacket but these days you'd be looking at something like Halvarssons, Rukka , klim, and lindstrands.
Very much depends on your budget but your looking at around £400-£1800 for a decent jacket these days.
Alternately you could go with a cheaper jacket and get a good quality base layer.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2018, 10:21:22 am by celticbiker »
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2018, 11:50:08 am »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2018, 11:57:59 am »
The manufacturers that celticbiker listed are certainly the ones to go for if the skies the limit on the budget front. There's another German company fairly recent on the market which is Stadler who supply all the German police forces. Their stuff is around the price of Rukka but comes with a 10 year warranty and they offer a "crash repair" service in the event of things going wrong.
Personally I'd love a Rukka suit but would never be able to afford/justify the cost. Although the temperatures were not too low last Saturday, I remained totally dry in an Alpinestars Andes suit with German army goretex overtrousers and an Oxford Dryseal rain jacket. About 300 quids worth all in. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2018, 12:44:09 pm »
As size is the issue, another approach might be to roll your own heated vest (and use your existing temperature controller). A few clues here:

https://youtu.be/lXfkzWzCWjU

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2018, 01:04:36 pm »