Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:38 pm

Author Topic: FZS600/FZ6 rear calliper swap. Feasible?  (Read 3389 times)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
FZS600/FZ6 rear calliper swap. Feasible?
« on: 15 February 2018, 06:13:52 am »
After five years of Fazer riding I’m getting totally pissed off with my rear calipers seizing. I’ve had my original rebuilt, got a newer one, swapped that for a thou caliper, and they’ve all seized. My local mechanic says they’re prone to it as they’re mounted underneath the swingarm and catch all the shit off the road, which seems to make sense to me.
So, has anyone tried fitting the caliper and bracket from an FZ6? It doesn’t look like the swingarm are interchangeable, but I’m wondering if the brakes can be.
In the FZ6 bracket there’s a recess that mates to a lug on the swingarm which allows the whole thing to slide for chain adjustment.
Maybe if I could get a similar lug welded to my swingarm (or even drill a hole in the arm and mount a bolt with a big enough head in its place) this would fit?

« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 05:24:09 pm by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600/FZ6 rear calliper swap. Feasible?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2018, 08:09:58 pm »
How about re-siting the existing caliper on the top of the swing arm. Saves buying another caliper. I Dont know what the rear braking efficiency is of the FZS600 rear caliper, but i can tell you that the FZ6 fazer rear doesnt scrub much speed off, its so poor i rarely use it on the road, and not at all on track, but i keep it in good working order

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2018, 10:15:01 pm »
re siting would be the obvious but unfortunatly the caliper bracket mounting bracket would be on the wrong side (would face the rear as its spun round)
flipping the bracket so outside face is facing wheel might work but i wouldnt expect it to line up
certainly an interesting idea but i have a feeling they put it on the bottom for a good reason when you think about the forces applied and in which direction, the 2k R6 had a top mounted caliper so there was no benefit i can think of so that only leaves technical issues for its location
im all for modifying things and it has me wondering how it could be done (wish i still had the milling machine available)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2018, 11:41:12 pm »
I fitted a Blue Spot FZS1000 Gen 1 rear caliper to my FZS600 about 3 or 4 months ago as well as servicing the front blue spots, then the bike was serviced and put to sleep for the winter, so I don't know if there was any benefit other than aesthetics.
I'm told that the Blue Spot rear is much better than the standard FZS600 rear, time will tell I guess.
The standard caliper was OK on my bike, but then I hardly ever use the rear unless slow manoeuvring/U-turns and the like.
I cleaned and lubed (Red Rubber) the standard one up before it was consigned to the parts bin, to be honest it was in very good condition, no rust and pistons moved freely but then the bike never gets ridden in the rain. 

« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 11:42:42 pm by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2018, 12:04:35 am »
is the fzs1000 blue spot a straight swap ??
loving the blue torque arm, one more idea in the book as mine is looking a bit tatty
but that build is on hold for a while

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2018, 05:12:45 am »
The fzs1000 blue spot isn’t a straight swap as such, you need to file a slight amount off the standard 600 bracket and add some washers to line it up with the disc. Apparently they’re far less prone to seizing which is why I converted mine. Still seized though, but I do ride all year round.
I did think about just flipping the bracket, but there’s no way to hold it in place.
I might buy the fz6 bracket just to see if it fits with regards to the axle size, spacing etc. Then if my blue spot caliper fits, all well and good, if not, I’ll buy an fz6 caliper. I’m sure a decent mechanic could weld an aluminium block onto the swingarm too.

daviee

« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
blue spot  wont fit that bracket you will need the caliper or just make a new mount from 12mm billet plate to accommodate your blue spot but on the  top not the bottom , or just service the brakes more often 

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2018, 09:39:13 pm »
Had a look at the current bracket today and flipping it inside out won’t work. It’ll hit the Allen bolts mounting the disc to the wheel.

I’ve got to get an FZ6 bracket and try to line things up I reckon. If it works I’ll get the caliper too.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2018, 12:20:02 am »
The fzs1000 blue spot isn’t a straight swap as such, you need to file a slight amount off the standard 600 bracket and add some washers to line it up with the disc. Apparently they’re far less prone to seizing which is why I converted mine. Still seized though, but I do ride all year round.
I did think about just flipping the bracket, but there’s no way to hold it in place.
I might buy the fz6 bracket just to see if it fits with regards to the axle size, spacing etc. Then if my blue spot caliper fits, all well and good, if not, I’ll buy an fz6 caliper. I’m sure a decent mechanic could weld an aluminium block onto the swingarm too.

Same as that.
I had to file a tiny amount of the FZS600 hanger, I believe I either used a Dremel or maybe a chainsaw file. If you look at the picture of the blue spot on my FZS600 previous post about an inch or so behind the front mounting bolt you can see where a small amount of alloy is removed. Then add a washer about 1.5 mm thick between the inside of the calliper and the mount to line up the calliper so it is central over the disc, if does not have to be within very fine tolerances has the pistons take up any slight discrepancy.
Easy job to do, whether it is worth it or not I will not know until thie weather improves.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2018, 08:30:48 pm »
Before I buy one, can anyone tell me the diameter of the axle hole on the fz6 bracket? If it’s bigger than the fzs600 then it’s a non-starter.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2018, 11:43:05 pm »
Before I buy one, can anyone tell me the diameter of the axle hole on the fz6 bracket? If it’s bigger than the fzs600 then it’s a non-starter.
if its bigger than the fzs then it can still be done and not loose any strength
only problem is you need a friend with a lathe who can turn you up a sleeve with tight outer tolerances and throw it in the freezer overnight

then have it pressed in there

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2018, 10:30:07 pm »
Good point!

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2018, 10:54:35 pm »
making small shafts fit in big holes but still making it feel right is where i am an expert
- may have given too much away here
- if any ladys are reading this https://youtu.be/3KYVb_OYz6g?t=35s