Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:58 pm

Author Topic: London and the ULEZ  (Read 2981 times)

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
London and the ULEZ
« on: 12 February 2018, 11:34:17 am »
Just got this email from TFL.
In a nutshell, any bike registered before July 2007 will be liable to pay the ULEZ charge of £12.50 in the current Congestion zone next February (2019) and within the boundaries of the North & South Circular (proposed, by 2021)
Have a read to see what the mayor has up his sleeve
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/environment/air-quality-consultation-phase-3b/?cid=airquality-consultation
And if you can, complete the online survey and tell him where to poke it !
some background here
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/november/we-ride-london-ulez/

We are consulting on the next stage of the Mayor, Sadiq Khan’s plan to help tackle London’s toxic air pollution, which contributes to thousands of early deaths in our city each year.

To have your say visit tfl.gov.uk/airquality-consultation

From 8 April 2019, the Mayor is introducing the Ultra Low Emission Zone in central London, replacing the T-Charge with an even tighter emission standards for diesel vehicles.

To help further reduce toxic emissions in London, the Mayor is also now proposing to:
    •   Extend these tighter emissions standards to the whole of London for lorries, buses and other heavy goods vehicles only in 2020
    •   Expand the ULEZ for all vehicles including cars, vans, motorbikes and minibuses up to the North and South circular roads in 2021

This consultation ends on 28 February 2018.
GC
« Last Edit: 12 February 2018, 11:34:59 am by GhostCat »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: London and the ULEZ
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2018, 03:41:09 pm »
I don't trust that document one bit!!!

If you look on google for Nitrogen Dioxide maps of London...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Nitrogen+dioxide+map+london&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb0d-z2aDZAhWysKQKHS77AIAQ_AUICigB&biw=1301&bih=620#imgrc=XitTf4Sx6eBhBM:&spf=1518449559659
You can make a few observations...
1. They usually don't show the M25, which is probably one of the biggest contributors... Yet because the mayor can't tax it and make revenue out of that, it's conveniently not mentioned?! (...and I should think one of the worst places would have been Dartford crossing before the gates were automated. They used to cause congestion and stop the traffic with no regard for the environment so they could make money!!)
2. The Nitrogen Dioxide maps usually show a big blob over central London and an almost equal size blob over Heathrow... Yet when you look at the data on that web link there is no mention of the contribution of planes. It's designed to make everyone think cars are the bad guys.

Typical manipulated ecomentalist bullsh*t!!

If you ever meet an ecomentalist, ask them why it is you have a 'Carbon' footprint and not a 'Hydrogen' footprint, because surely I'm producing twice as much hydrogen?!

You may have gathered I'm not very happy about this.  :rolleyes
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2018, 04:52:32 pm »
Yes Betty the 3rd runway would increase all traffic by 50% but corporations can profit from that ! And kerosene is still untaxed ! And unfortunately what passes for s consultation is more like a warning - they completely ignore all feedback and public opinion, all about the ££

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2018, 06:11:14 pm »
Just got this email from TFL.
In a nutshell, any bike registered before July 2007 will be liable to pay the ULEZ charge of £12.50 in the current Congestion zone next February (2019) and within the boundaries of the North & South Circular (proposed, by 2021)
Have a read to see what the mayor has up his sleeve
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/environment/air-quality-consultation-phase-3b/?cid=airquality-consultation
And if you can, complete the online survey and tell him where to poke it !
some background here
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/november/we-ride-london-ulez/

We are consulting on the next stage of the Mayor, Sadiq Khan’s plan to help tackle London’s toxic air pollution, which contributes to thousands of early deaths in our city each year.

To have your say visit tfl.gov.uk/airquality-consultation

From 8 April 2019, the Mayor is introducing the Ultra Low Emission Zone in central London, replacing the T-Charge with an even tighter emission standards for diesel vehicles.

To help further reduce toxic emissions in London, the Mayor is also now proposing to:
    •   Extend these tighter emissions standards to the whole of London for lorries, buses and other heavy goods vehicles only in 2020
    •   Expand the ULEZ for all vehicles including cars, vans, motorbikes and minibuses up to the North and South circular roads in 2021

This consultation ends on 28 February 2018.
GC
Sounds like another Government money making scheme to me. How can it have anything to do with emissions if London Taxis are exempt ?? There are hundreds of thousands of them !! (nearly 300,000 at the last count).
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2018, 07:08:52 pm »
These low emission zones taxes are nothing to do with the environment but are a way to force the less well off financially onto public transport so that they have less freedom of movement and what movement they do have is controlled and monitored even more than it is now, then the roads are clearer for the " great and the good"  who are the ones making these proposals because they know it will not affect them.
I am not paranoid, well not much, just believe that we are being screwed good and proper.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2018, 08:59:39 pm »
I think the mayor has a different agenda and it ain't the environment. I think his plan is to banish Uber, then discourage 'polluting' vehicles from London. Making it easier for him to force all the black taxi drivers to go 100% electric by 2020. I think he wants to leave that as his legacy, "I made all London public transport electric". That's my theory.

Arguable the additional runway at Heathrow will reduce pollution as the planes won't need to stack and circle London so much, have a look at one of those live flight maps. Most planes fly 3or4 circles over london before landing. Also as part of their bid, Heathrow promised to make every single vehicle(2000 vehicles) on the airport electric.

I wonder where the mayor thinks electricity comes from?... Local generation! We'll just have to burn more gas and have more incinerators to generate the electricity... Surely that defeats the object!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2018, 09:59:19 pm »
These low emission zones taxes are nothing to do with the environment but are a way to force the less well off financially onto public transport so that they have less freedom of movement and what movement they do have is controlled and monitored even more than it is now, then the roads are clearer for the " great and the good"  who are the ones making these proposals because they know it will not affect them.
I am not paranoid, well not much, just believe that we are being screwed good and proper.

Public transport is all good and and well if it tends to go in the direction you wanna go.
I'm under 6 miles from my work but it would include a minimum 2 buses and a lot of walking if i chose that option.
Train lines run vertically whereas i need to travel horizontally on a tube map so i would have to go down into the West End then back up again, then another long walk.
I've seen the shit cyclists go through as well riding into work so forget that idea.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2018, 12:28:51 am »

I did the original survey, but despite lots of bikers pointing out that they *reduce* congestion and pollution and help traffic to move more freely, the response was just that it's "only" for bikes registered before 2007 and bike's emissions standards are lower than those for cars, so be grateful!

Clearly (as always) they had no real interest in any views that didn't fit in with their plans, so the "Consultation" was just a box-ticking exercise :(

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2018, 02:53:41 am »

1. They usually don't show the M25, which is probably one of the biggest contributors... Yet because the mayor can't tax it and make revenue out of that, it's conveniently not mentioned?! (...and I should think one of the worst places would have been Dartford crossing before the gates were automated. They used to cause congestion and stop the traffic with no regard for the environment so they could make money!!)

You may have gathered I'm not very happy about this.  :rolleyes

Have you not seen the congestion now the barriers have been removed?  I often hear how it's been made worse since and I have to agree.
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)