Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:24 pm

Author Topic: Exhaust removal advice  (Read 2002 times)

Kenvis Repesco

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - YAMAHA TRX850
    • View Profile
Exhaust removal advice
« on: 10 February 2018, 10:03:51 pm »
I want to remove the exhaust system on my 2005 Fazer 1000 so I can paint the collector area and give the front of the motor a good clean. Can anyone give me some advice on undertaking this job. I know I will have to remove the rad, Its just the removal of the exhaust I am not sure about, especially the EXUP and disconnecting it as I have never done this before. Any advice gratefully received...thanks David.

Kenvis Repesco

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - YAMAHA TRX850
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust removal advice
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2018, 10:07:39 pm »
Sorry...will now post in the correct forum section  :wall

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2018, 11:58:46 am »
In order to remove the exhaust the only thing at the EXUP that will stop you are the cables attached to the pulley so theoretically you could remove the cover then the 2 bolts holding the cable guide which would then give you enough slack on the cables to allow you to remove them with the valve mechanism still in place. Having said that you really should be regularly servicing the EXUP to prevent issues further down the line and this would be a good opportunity for you to take the assembly apart, clean and lubricate the parts, and replace the bolts with stainless items if they are still the OEM parts. As ever Pats guide is the place to be looking - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

There is also a recent thread on removing the headers which might be of help for you - http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,23736.0.html
« Last Edit: 11 February 2018, 12:01:33 pm by PieEater »

Kenvis Repesco

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - YAMAHA TRX850
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2018, 03:23:40 pm »
Thanks for that PieEater. The EXUP assembly was thoroughly checked and serviced by the local dealer not long ago and stainless bolts fitted so hoping that's ok. The bike only has 8k on it and doesn't get used in inclement weather. I will just get stuck in when the garage is habitable for a few hours :) [/size].

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2018, 06:11:07 pm »
Thanks for that PieEater. The EXUP assembly was thoroughly checked and serviced by the local dealer not long ago and stainless bolts fitted so hoping that's ok. The bike only has 8k on it and doesn't get used in inclement weather. I will just get stuck in when the garage is habitable for a few hours :)
Quoted to remove the phantom text sizing gremlin.