Date: 18-04-24  Time: 07:18 am

Author Topic: Removal of Headers  (Read 2327 times)

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
Removal of Headers
« on: 04 February 2018, 09:30:46 pm »
Had my Gen1 Fazer for 18 months now, so today I began the long overdue exhaust refurbishment. (the skanky photos need no explanation ...)
First two attempts with a hand socket wrench only served to shear the studs off. (Disappointing, but kinda expected). Then I decided to try my Impact driver – which I originally thought was a bit too heavy-duty for the 8mm studs. Turns out that each one came off fine, some with nut alone, others with the whole stud. (And I now have a lot more faith in my impact driver, ie, not just for wheel nuts !)
So here’s my question:  I have now removed all the flanges, and also the Exup cables, mid-lower mounting, and link pipe/ tailpiece. As far as I can see, there should be nothing left holding the headers in place. Is there some fancy trick to this… they seem rock solid…. Or is it just a question of wiggle, wiggle, & more wiggle. Is there something that I’m missing ?

Causing me a major header-ache …   :lol

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Removal of Headers
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2018, 10:15:47 pm »
I recently removed the headers from my gen 2 and they took a fair amount of effort to dislodge.
I recommend a rubber mallet, shouting, swearing and a good dose of brute force. It will work eventually.
There's probably just years worth of crap sticking them in place

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2018, 11:02:12 pm »
I presume you have the rear mounting bolt removed, it is a matter of levering them up and down at the collect pipe and as dudeofrude say a rubber mallet and much shouting and swearing.
They are stuck at the manifold from years of crud.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2018, 04:26:54 pm »
wow they are much worse than mine were how many miles it got on it - see 'Winter Maintenance' thread on here.  If you've taken the bolt out under the mainstand then they should come out OK.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2018, 10:51:51 am »

Can take quite a bit of tapping flanges and wiggling to get free.
The corrosion after removal might have to be chiselled out of recess with screw driver etc to get it clean for refit.
You can also replace with stainless bolts.
And before anyone starts shouting about electrolysis/corrosion problems, if you use a thread sealant and coat studs well you will not get this problem. 
Don't forget new copper compression washers.

Good luck

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2018, 07:41:48 pm »
Thanks for all the input folks !
It did take a fair bit of persuasion, but the headers are now off & about to be sorted.
As for the old studs (either broken or not)..... I welded nuts onto the ends, and a quick whizz with a decent impact driver did the job.
New stainless studs headed my way !