Date: 16-04-24  Time: 14:52 pm

Author Topic: A decent radio station?  (Read 5374 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
A decent radio station?
« on: 31 January 2018, 09:26:08 pm »
Struggling to find a decent station to listen too when Im in the cave. Classic FM ahs too many adverts now now and I cant stand it when they speak at 500 words a minute at the end of the advert, utterly incomprehensible. Used to listen a lot to Radio 4, but jeez its been taken over by campaign groups for Womens this that and the other. Cant get through the day without another female focus group being created for sufferers of vaginal warts etc

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: A decent radio station?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2018, 10:43:41 pm »
:D

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2018, 10:45:04 pm »
I only listen to 3 radio stations, Radio 4 extra, Radio 4 and Planet Rock, the ads on Planet Rock grind my gears a bit but some are quite funny, I think its because they tell you "Look out, a load of adverts for stuff you don't need are coming on". 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2018, 10:49:54 pm »
BBC Radio Scotland, Radio 4, Radio 4 extra, BBC world service and BBC 6 music.

With internet radio the possibilities are endless.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2018, 07:17:13 am »
Radio 2 for me, though I change it  if Jeremy Vine's on. Not a fan of radio 4 as I'm working class.
We put a lot of local radio on in the car as they play the modern music- the kids like to sing along to this.
I miss Terry Wogan  :(

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2018, 07:45:20 am »
I'm with Celticdog, radio 2 until 12 then change to SAM FM ( Portsmouth area) till 2 then back to radio 2

but depends what music your after and where you live!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

mrMoog

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2018, 09:44:53 am »
Absolute radio is ok, you can also choose Absolute 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's too which is pretty good (DAB or internet only though)
Other than that I go for BBC Radio 6 purely because you get alternative music on there rather than just chart tripe, again its DAB or internet though.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2018, 10:10:30 am »
Absolute radio is ok, you can also choose Absolute 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's too which is pretty good (DAB or internet only though)
Other than that I go for BBC Radio 6 purely because you get alternative music on there rather than just chart tripe, again its DAB or internet though.

:agree

I tend to chop and change through the Absolute stations when i'm working, mainly 80's, 90's, 00's or Classic Rock, depending on my mood.
Mainly because they stay away from mainstream pop music, and because of the fewer adverts compared to other stations. 

I have a new DAB radio system on my bench, but have found reception issues can be an absolute nightmare. I tend to know when there's heavy rain (somewhere) as the sound will just get ropier by the minute, and a few months ago we had builders using a jack hammer outside for a few days, and that was completely game over, no signal whatsoever.
When that happens the iPad has to come out and i use the radio stations on there, or just create a radio station on Spotify and let that play instead. Just pick a song from an artist you like and it will play similar artists from that era and genre, then play the original artist again every 7 or 8 songs, it's been quite good so far.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2018, 10:37:58 am »
Used to listen a lot to Radio 4, but jeez its been taken over by campaign groups for Womens this that and the other.

Can you imagine the reaction if there was 'Mens Hour' instead of Women's Hour?.

Or 'The MI' instead of The WI.

Planet Rock is the only one I can listen to constantly without having to switch over now and then.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2018, 10:42:26 am »
Radio Ga Ga.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2018, 11:15:21 am »
Mainly listen to KISS, KISSTORY or GOLD on DAB. :thumbup

I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2018, 01:01:04 pm »
Used to listen a lot to Radio 4, but jeez its been taken over by campaign groups for Womens this that and the other.

Planet Rock is the only one I can listen to constantly without having to switch over now and then.

Thought 'The MI' was the pub?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2018, 02:21:43 pm »
Radio 6 mostly for me too... except for the morning show with that dreary git who thinks he’s so fucking hilarious, I usually listen to Radio 4 until 10 am.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2018, 06:02:58 pm »
Not a fan of radio 4 as I'm working class.

That's strange as I'm 'working class'.  I do tend to skip between Radio Scotland, 4, 4 extra and World Service as ah cannae be bothered with quite a bit of the content on those stations. 

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2018, 06:29:56 pm »

Thought 'The MI' was the pub?

True! :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2018, 06:36:50 pm »
Radio Fab FM :lol

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2018, 08:01:42 pm »
Radio 2 for me, though I change it  if Jeremy Vine's on. Not a fan of radio 4 as I'm working class.
We put a lot of local radio on in the car as they play the modern music- the kids like to sing along to this.
I miss Terry Wogan  :(

Oh, its nowt to do with class. I think the subject matter is far less interesting now than it has ever been. I can recall a couple of standout programmes, one where the programme maker and speaker had investigated those weird broadcasts that exist right at the end of the (i think it was long wave) band, just monotone voices broadcasting a never ending series of numbers slowly, tried to investigate who was broadcasting and for what reasons. Various theories, including it was nation state governments method of issuing orders to spies by code. Fascinating.

I suppose ill have to invest in a dab radio for the cave, but last time i tried dab a few years ago, the reception was dreadful. I used to listen to Absolute when I was on the night shift

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2018, 09:42:06 pm »

I think the I can recall a couple of standout programmes, one where the programme maker and speaker had investigated those weird broadcasts that exist right at the end of the (i think it was long wave)

Radio 4 long wave is invaluable for the shipping forecast :thumbup

Not that I've got a boat :rolleyes

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2018, 10:03:34 pm »
 The fairly easy to solution to poor reception (assuming you have some reception) – an aerial!

This simple Half wave FM dipole did it for me.  Picks up FM and DAB nicely.  FM is still the sweetest if you can pick up a strong signal.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 February 2018, 11:26:33 pm »
Not a fan of radio 4 as I'm working class.

That's strange as I'm 'working class'.  I do tend to skip between Radio Scotland, 4, 4 extra and World Service as ah cannae be bothered with quite a bit of the content on those stations. 

I fella, it's not strange. We're all free to listen to whatever radio station we want, regardless of class. It's just that the radio 4 demographic isn't particularly suited to the working class.
People who work shifts to put food on the table don't necessarily want to listen to documentaries and garden quizzes and the like. However I completely understand there are always those who do..
« Last Edit: 01 February 2018, 11:34:36 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2018, 06:34:16 am »
The fairly easy to solution to poor reception (assuming you have some reception) – an aerial!

This simple Half wave FM dipole did it for me.  Picks up FM and DAB nicely.  FM is still the sweetest if you can pick up a strong signal.

An aerial, wow, i never thought of that?  :think

I think in my scenario, it's more to do with having a huge amount of ducting in the roof above where i work, the fact that i live in London where i'm surprised radio frequencies haven't caused major hair loss or illness, and also that my job involves testing video transmitters every day which probably doesn't really help matters.
But, at the same time, i have a DAB radio alarm clock in my bedroom with a big fuck off aerial aiming in the correct direction, and again if the weather is iffy in any way it tends to spark into life 5 or 10 minutes after it's supposed to wake me up, making me nearly jump out of my bed in the process.

There are still well known issues with DAB signals, probably easier explained here, albeit talking about vehicle radios:

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/why-dab-radio-in-the-uk-is-broken-and-how-to-fix-it-1217586

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2018, 10:35:05 am »
I fella, it's not strange. We're all free to listen to whatever radio station we want, regardless of class. It's just that the radio 4 demographic isn't particularly suited to the working class.
People who work shifts to put food on the table don't necessarily want to listen to documentaries and garden quizzes and the like. However I completely understand there are always those who do..

I don't suppose they'd devote a whole daily schedule to flat caps, clogs and whippets though would they?.

They did have a programme on pigeon racing once.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2018, 12:20:46 pm »
I spend too much time in the car listening to the radio. I go through phases...

Radio 2 and 4 if I want to hear some mildly entertaining and intelligent conversation.

LBC talk radio. If you like listening to people phone in and moan all day.

BBC world service is I want to learn stuff.

Magic and Kiss if I want some cheesy 80's music.

XFM - johnny Vaugh is brilliant. You have to be in the right mood for him, but he comes up with new material everyday and can be hilarious.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2018, 01:55:21 pm »

I don't suppose they'd devote a whole daily schedule to flat caps, clogs and whippets though would they?.

They did have a programme on pigeon racing once.

:lol  Sounds like Radio Yorkshire!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2018, 02:08:53 pm »