Date: 29-03-24  Time: 15:15 pm

Author Topic: T-Boned a car  (Read 2684 times)

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
T-Boned a car
« on: 31 January 2018, 08:34:06 am »
Hello all,

So my first Post and seeking help!  :rolleyes

Was involved in a RTA car pulls across my path to get into a side road.  I had nowhere to go and effectively T-Bone the side of the car. Approx 30mph.

Front forks bent back a few inches/twisted but not as extreme as touching the radiator etc. However what symptoms should i be looking for concerning bent headstock or frame?

Dont want to commit to spending £100's putting a new front end on only to find there's a noticeable twist to the new forks/wheel due to hidden damage further back.

any feedback greatly appreciated.
(oh plus its a mk1 fazer).
« Last Edit: 31 January 2018, 08:35:00 am by focced_off »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: T-Boned a car
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2018, 09:34:54 am »
Sorry to hear that hope you came off unscathed,

As for the bike well that depends on who's paying for the repairs, i.e claiming on their insurance or not, if claiming on their insurance then speak to yours as the bike should be checked out by a bike place in my opinion to access the damage & cost of repairs for insurance purposes & whether cost out ways the value of the bike to which it will be a written off.

Having the frame & head stock & so on checked will determine what happens next,then if all is o.k get prices for items i.e forks bearings etc so if bike is written off but repairable a deal can be struck with insurance to buy it back at a silly price. 

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2018, 10:23:08 am »
Sorry to hear that hope you came off unscathed,

As for the bike well that depends on who's paying for the repairs, i.e claiming on their insurance or not, if claiming on their insurance then speak to yours as the bike should be checked out by a bike place in my opinion to access the damage & cost of repairs for insurance purposes & whether cost out ways the value of the bike to which it will be a written off.

Having the frame & head stock & so on checked will determine what happens next,then if all is o.k get prices for items i.e forks bearings etc so if bike is written off but repairable a deal can be struck with insurance to buy it back at a silly price. 

Hello Bandit, thank you for your prompt reply.

Bike was written off, as uneconomical to repair (with new replacement parts). Have already been through the insurance process (had fully Comprehensive insurance), plus received a full payout for the bike. I did choose to buy back my Fazer from the salvage department, as its very clean apart from the damage confirmed above.

The insurance company said they wouldn't get the bike on a Jig to test the frame alignment/straightness, as that goes far beyond their inspection process.

So I now have my bike back and would actually like to build it back up. But would like some pointers on what to look for.

I've closely inspected it with an inspection lamp. There's no flaking of paint around the Headstock or cracks or failed welding (to indicate the Headstock has moved). The Headstock didn't hit anything and has no damage to the front. Also from the headstock back, theres no other damage to the bike, as it was literally just a head-on impact.

Is it difficult to remove the front end - forks/yoke etc on my own? Hows it best to support the Bike so it wont tip over, while completing this task?

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2018, 12:34:34 pm »
Hi,

To support the bike with the front wheel off I'll tend to start by putting it on the centre stand - at which point it'll still have the front on the ground but the rear will be up in the air a little.

But then I'll gently push down on the seat to push the rear wheel to the ground, at which point the front wheel will lift a little off the ground.

Then I'll slide a milk crate with a wooden scaffold board on top of it under the exhaust.

That's just the right height to support the bike in that position, and the wooden board is soft enough to ensure the exhaust is not dented or scratched, yet solid enough that it's not going anywhere.

For those with appropriate kit a jack under the exhaust works the same way and is common practice - again with wood to protect the bike.

But if you don't have a jack then it's just a matter of coming up with some combination of bits which are the right height and solid enough.

HTH, Andy

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2018, 12:42:05 pm »
To raise the front put bike on centre stand put weight on the rear of your seat to get the back wheel on the ground & chock or use a trolley jack with a piece of wood under the downpipes at front to support the weight.

A Haynes manual may come in handy for torque settings & removal of the headstock if bearings are shot, removing the forks isn't a hard job unbolt the brake calipers from lower leg tie up no need to disconnect brake hoses  remove the mudguard warning bolts can (snap).

Before raising front, loosen off the front wheel axle spindle & very slightly loosen the upper & lower clamp bolts on each of the upper fork tubes,now raise front remove wheel spindle,speedo drive,wheel then remove upper & lower bolts & slide out fork legs.

Just be warned when refitting speedo drive make sure the lugs seat correctly in the wheel or they will snap off.

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2018, 01:01:48 pm »
Excellent! Thank you both for your methods - so ultimately the same result, supporting the bike under the Header pipes. :thumbup

I've investigated further methods (second best to a Jig - involving the complete strip down of the bike almost down to just a frame)...

Using chord attached to the headstock - down each side of the bike/frame to key points. Also from rear attachment, towards front of frame, again between key points. Plus measurements from the floor up to various points on the frame (both sides).

Finally, with stem removed, fixing a rod securely through and extended straight down - providing a useful attachment point for taking measurements - headstock centre line (down towards floor).

Then after that, assuming all appears good, the stripdown and fitting of the replacement front end! Hopefully all can be done while Bike is supported by your methods above?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2018, 05:20:14 pm »
on the headstock measuring technique you should be able to do it by just removing the tank then  find a place to measure to under the seat - you dont want to go too far back on the subframe as that may have moved slightly over time

but a 30 mpg crash shouldnt have done anything major too the frame if it has bent the forks but not enough to touch the radiator then you should be ok
round steel twin cradle frames are amazingly strong - look how many old school motocross bikes have survived
also have a look at ruby racings project that took a good old whack on the front end and is still good to go
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=10613.0

daviee

« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2018, 07:29:06 pm »
easiest way to tell is look for cracked paint around the head where the frame tubes join to it that a sure sign the frame is bent

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2018, 07:36:56 pm »
I lift front end of mine with two rachet straps round top yoke and roof joist in garage, avoids accidently knocking jack under the headers with your size 10s.

focced_off

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2018, 10:46:49 am »
Thank you for the additional responses. :)

Yes, I've carefully looked all around the Headstock, there's no flaked/flaking paint, no cracks, or failed welds.

Still need to take the Tank off, and finish off the measurements, however so far looking promising, no issues identified.
Plus rebuilding will be easier without the tank in the way. Will also save it getting accidentially damaged too.

Is removing/fitting new Forks quite a straightforward job? Any special tools required?
slappy - securing rachet straps to joists sounds a very secure method that I'd be interested in. However I really don't trust the strength of my garage joists and would likely end up with the joist failing and the whole garage roof ends up on the floor around me! Rebuilding the forks would then become the least of my worries lol.  :'(

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2018, 12:20:59 pm »
No special tools required, this will help,

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2018, 01:54:04 pm »
personally im not a fan of delboys garage im team 'the workshop' lol
but this is a good video for doing everything you need to do from neither party and only talks about the serious stuff
i would watch it at 1.5x speed if you are just watching it for watching its sake - watch at normal speed it actually doing the swap