Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:24 am

Author Topic: New FZS600 owner  (Read 2551 times)

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
New FZS600 owner
« on: 20 January 2018, 11:49:36 pm »
Hello all

I just got my own FZS600 (2003 model) to replace my gradually disintegrating GS500 after borrowing one for a week or so last year :D

Sadly I can't actually ride it yet, as I need to make a custom seat to properly support my fragile little arse, BUUUT I can start to fettle and service it while I wait for the materials for that!

I haven't done a full fine-toothed-comb inspection yet, but from the outside it looks to have been pampered and spent all its life under cover. Very little service history, aside from an invoice from a garage which says the coolant was changed in 2016. Is there anything in particular I should make sure to check? I've been warned to check the sprocket nut is the later thicker type, as the earlier ones can work loose and wreck the output shaft.

This will be my commuter in all weather once its sorted, so I plan to fit a "fenda extenda" on the front mudguard and also a rear hugger on the back considering how much my GS has rotted over the past few years...

Any suggestions which rear hugger is best? I see several different manufacturers on eBay including Powerbronze, P&P Motorcycle Bodywork and Pyramid Plastics.

Thanks

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: New FZS600 owner
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2018, 11:18:35 am »
Welcome to the site and congratulations on making an excellent choice of bike.
Worth checking the sprocket nut and cleaning out all the muck that is likely to be inside the sprocket cover while you have it off. The problem only effected a batch of bikes earlier than yours with under size shafts or others where the nut hadn't been fitted correctly. i.e. clean nut and shaft, loctite and correct torque.
Hugger well worth fitting but be aware when getting one that the earlier FZS600 (boxeye models) have a slightly different fitting position on the swinging arm, so you need the correct fittings for your bike.
The manual recommends that valve clearances should be checked every 24,000 miles but rarely need altering at that mileage. Engine oil and filter change unless you are absolutely certain it has been done very recently.
Fender extender again a good mod as the front mudguard is useless for keeping road filth and bits of stones off the engine and exhaust pipes etc. I went a stage further and fitted an aluminium shield to the front of the exhaust pipes, as in this photo if you can see it. It started off polished but now looks like it has been shot blasted. Not to everybody's taste but it stops a lot of the spray and other stuff hitting the front of the bike.
Good luck and be extra careful while you get used to the new bike.

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2018, 03:13:36 pm »
Is that aluminium shield a part for sale somewhere, or something you made yourself?

Started this afternoon with the front brakes, as I'd noticed /something/ was dragging when rolling it into the shed yesterday. Both calipers had the usual layer of dirt on the pistons, most of it came off easily. There's minimal pitting (as far as I can see) on only some of the pistons. Front brakes are still binding (mainly the left one I think), so a new set of seals, maybe some pistons and a proper rebuild of the calipers will be in the near future.

Sat down to take the sprocket cover off, but then decided it was time for a break, but not before noticing the center stand being rather crusty and some surface rust on the frame where it attaches, will have to get that all cleaned up soon :(

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2018, 03:27:44 pm »
Not to sound negative in the last post though, still happy I bought it :)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2018, 08:40:24 am »
The centre stand gets a beating from the spray from the back wheel so very common to see them like yours. Well worth taking the time to clean it up and giving a good coat of paint occasionally as they have been known to rust through and can be hard to find/expensive on ebay.
The rear caliper is something I should have mentioned. Being under-slung it tends to collect spray etc. and I try to give the pistons a bit of clean each year and put a bit of red rubber grease on them. After cleaning the bike i blast any water away with an air line as it tends to collect at the bottom, or take it for a spin. I get the impression you're well capable but will just mention that if you do change the seals make sure you carefully clean out and crud in the seal groves otherwise the pistons will still be stiff.
Plenty of advice about such things in the FZS600 section.
The aluminium shield is something I made myself. If this link works there are details of the parts shown. http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15429.msg175944/topicseen.html#msg175944  If it doesn't work and you fancy making one I can re-post the drawings.
 Good that you introduced yourself in this section (Introduction) but as not everybody looks at it you might have got a bigger response to your questions in the FZS600 section.
Cheers.
Frank.

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2018, 03:06:32 pm »
I get the impression you're well capable

That accusation has never been proven!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2018, 07:02:56 pm »
I get the impression you're well capable

That accusation has never been proven!

Ha ha. I beg to differ. You managed to put a few photo’s on only your third post on this site so to me that makes you more than “well capable”. It has taken people like me months and sometimes years to manage that feat!
P.S. Good to see you found the FZS600 area on this site.  :D

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
  • LIBERTAS QUÆ SERA TAMEN
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2018, 02:11:53 pm »
Hello and Welcome to the site!
Great bike indeed!

Might as well check for holes on the exhaust down pipes if they are the original ones as they tend to rust very quickly. and if you can change them to stainless steel the better.

Good luck with it!

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2018, 11:58:40 am »
I've been on various bike forums over the years still can't post photo's on forums tried an idiots guide from a mate who said it's dead easy the idiot guide not simple enough for so if any one can do an idiots guide for idiots I'd be very grateful

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2018, 01:14:43 pm »
Good call Steve 10562cc. You and me both. In my case explain it like for the under 5's :rollin :rollin .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.