Date: 16-04-24  Time: 17:38 pm

Author Topic: Front Fork Stanchions/Tubes  (Read 6292 times)

purist

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - GPZ500S
    • View Profile
Re: Front Fork Stanchions/Tubes
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2018, 04:41:59 pm »
Hi, my fazer was bought with pitting on both stanchions just at the edge of the fork travel and it was rusting. Not deadly but likely to cause wear on the dust seals at least so...
I got a set of Paulo Tarozzi ones from Wemoto for what seemed like a lot of money for a shiny tube but they fitted perfectly and are working fine some 3000 miles later. However! they did have a tiny nick in them when they arrived (really tiny) and this started to rust though outside the range of travel. This was after the first salting of the roads and my bike is used every day. I treated the bike and the forks in particular with ACF50 and they were fine since.
I got new springs, bushes and seals at the same time I replaced the stanchions. Fitting was trouble free, they were the right size, shape etc and seem well made. Treat with something or get gators to ensure rust does not return.

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2018, 08:06:51 am »
I had the same rusty fork problem with my Fazer when I bought it. It's just down to the previous owner(s) only cleaning the bits they can see, and not up inside the fairing.
I thought about getting them re-chromed, but when I took the forks off it was apparent that they were also slightly curved. As the curve was pretty even I'm guessing that this was probably just down to 60k miles of front brake use, rather than accident damage. As I didn't want to risk getting them straightened as well as re-chromed I went for a set of the Tarozzi tubes from Wemoto. They're fine, everything went together ok and a year later I've had no problems with leaks.

Perfect, Thanks Andy much appreciated.
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 February 2018, 08:08:32 am »
Hi, my fazer was bought with pitting on both stanchions just at the edge of the fork travel and it was rusting. Not deadly but likely to cause wear on the dust seals at least so...
I got a set of Paulo Tarozzi ones from Wemoto for what seemed like a lot of money for a shiny tube but they fitted perfectly and are working fine some 3000 miles later. However! they did have a tiny nick in them when they arrived (really tiny) and this started to rust though outside the range of travel. This was after the first salting of the roads and my bike is used every day. I treated the bike and the forks in particular with ACF50 and they were fine since.
I got new springs, bushes and seals at the same time I replaced the stanchions. Fitting was trouble free, they were the right size, shape etc and seem well made. Treat with something or get gators to ensure rust does not return.

Thanks Purist, just the sort of advice i was looking for.
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 February 2018, 09:59:15 pm »
 Hi, If you're looking to buy new stanchions these may be worth a look.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2018, 10:16:09 pm »
Hi, If you're looking to buy new stanchions these may be worth a look.
what might be worth a look
i have a feeling you forgot to add the link lol

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile