Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Front Fork Stanchions/Tubes

(1/7) > >>

Jbizzle:
Hi all,

I have surface rust on my front fork stanchions/tubes. Although it is nowhere near the seals, it annoys me, and i want to replace them for aesthetic reasons.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Fazer-600-1999-2002-fork-tube-stanchion-x-1-Made-in-the-Uk/192408217826?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Seem a good deal. 

Will i need to replace the fork seals? Has anyone had any issues resulting from replacing either part? 

Thanks

BBROWN1664:
It wont be rust but corrosion does look bad on some bikes.
Take some autosol and wire wool and they will clean up. Just lacquer them again and you shouldn't see the problem again for years.

brooker81:
Just don't wire wool up and down. go round and round if that makes sense.

matt7chunk:
I think he means the part that slides inside the the fork leg (shiny bit)

A little trick I learnt for rust is to rub them with a ball of tin foil , the foil is softer than the chrome but harder than the rust , thus it removes the rust  :)

Disorderlypunk:

--- Quote from: matt7chunk on 19 January 2018, 02:37:31 pm ---I think he means the part that slides inside the the fork leg (shiny bit)

A little trick I learnt for rust is to rub them with a ball of tin foil , the foil is softer than the chrome but harder than the rust , thus it removes the rust  :)

--- End quote ---

ok thats a new one -- so gonna have to try this

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version