Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:51 am

Author Topic: Hello All!  (Read 1406 times)

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
  • LIBERTAS QUÆ SERA TAMEN
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
Hello All!
« on: 11 January 2018, 05:39:01 pm »
Hello all.
I am delighted to be joining this club! Thanks.

I have a Fazer 600 2002 for a little more than a year now and i must say... I love that machine!

So here is my first post and hope it might help someone out there as i spent quite time on the web looking for a solution to my problem..

A few weeks ago, i was driving home when in noticed that my RPM counter needle was dropping to zero now and then. I first thought it was my imagination but after a while i was assure that i was not going crazy or blind.

I bought this bike from the original owner that took a good care of it, and the only thing i had to change was those damn downpipes as they were more like swiss cheese. I bought a brand new stainless steel downpipes and fitted them myself. So there and then i thought that could be the issue.

Headed straight to google to try to figure out and after hours searching, found out that the most likely cause of this issue was the TPS.

TPS!!! Says I? what the heck is this?  :'(

Back again to google, spent a few more hours until i completed understood what TPS stands for, what was its job and how i could test this to verify if my one was faulty.  :D

Now not going into details how you can do this but if one is wondering is very simple procedure
- turn the ignition on - don't turn the bike on. With the ignition on unplug the TPS from the Carburetor. (If you were like me, that did not know where it was located is just attached to the right-side of the carbs.)
Once you do that, you are in the testing modal and the RPM will go from 0 to 3. Plug it back again. Now if the RPM goes to 5 and stays there the TPS is fine, if stays in 0 you need to adjust it to stay on 5 by turning the TPS clockwise. If stays in 10 turn it anticlockwise until stays in 5.

Problem with mine is that i could not set it to stay at 5. It either went to 10 then 0 or stayed at zero.   :'(

So back again to google to try to find a replacement, and that my friends was the worse experience that i had in google  :'( :'(

If you search for the following "Yamaha Fazer 600 2002 TPS or Throttle Position Sensor" you will get lots of results. The problem is that not all the results are specific to this version of Fazer. The one on my bike had A1 stamped into it and most on the net says A2 or A3 And better yet! when you do find one it will cost you £120.00 and since i am in Ireland 20 more to post. £140.00  :eek

Most of the TPS that you will find is made by Mikuni and Yamaha use different sensors on different machines.  But what struck me was that while searching for the right one i found this article http://bikesandtravels.com/biker.aspx?ride=201

Here the guy had the same issue as mine. He made a good point that maybe or just maybe some machines might use the same sensor specifications. In his article he talks about a TDM 850 and the Yamaha XJR 1300 and a few others. But the problem is that there is no mention of the year and i had noticed on my research that different year have different specifications for the same machine.

So i download the service manual for XJR 20002 and TDM 1996 and what i found was that the resistance of the TDM 850 is the same as the Fazer 600 2002. In fact on the manual the instructions to check the resistance on both these machines are the same specification.
Better yet!  The TPS for the TDM cost £70  :lol

So i was now more confident that this was the right thing to do and I bought a brand new TDM 1996 A2 102 TPS and installed on the bike. Had no problems adjusting it to 5000 RPM and making sure it stayed there.

Couple days passed since i installed this as the weather did not allow me to go out and try it.

Today i just had this chance.

First the bike turned on with half of the choke opened. Something that it was not doing before. Also the idle speed stay steady and not going up and down like was doing. I had to reset the idle speed. I know that the recommendation is to do that before adjusting it - so i took it out again after resetting the idle speed and checked if 5000 RPM was the default.
Then went for a spin...
The bike is a totally different bike now. It is more responsive. In low gears it does not jerk or i have to really play with the clutch. It seems to even have increased the power.

I am very happy now!  :)

I don't regret the time spent researching this issue as this just added another * under my belt.

I don't claim to be a mechanic but a bike enthusiastic, and what worked for me not necessary work for you but I hope this can help anyone out there that has the same issue.  ;)

Adriano.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Hello All!
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2018, 06:08:52 pm »
Welcome. If you have any specific queries, feel free to post them in the relevant sub-forum or just hang around in General like most people and take the mickey out of each other.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2018, 07:41:16 pm »
will do! thanks. :D

Mitch

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2018, 04:21:28 pm »
« Last Edit: 09 June 2019, 05:03:22 pm by Mitch »

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2018, 07:23:08 pm »
Hello Mitch. Nice to meet you too!
Indeed is a great accomplishment when we can figure out that there are other ways out there - cheaper ones - to fix an issue!
And i have to give thanks people like you and me that share this information.
Good luck with your carbs project. And we will definitely bump into each other again!

Keep on sharing the good stuff. :)

Adriano.