Date: 16-04-24  Time: 22:40 pm

Author Topic: Fazer Valuation  (Read 4530 times)

Jeffstoon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fazer Valuation
« on: 10 January 2018, 07:04:00 pm »
Hi there,

Currently considering purchasing a FZS600 and wanted to consult the pros to see if the price was fair. This will be my first big bike.

Its a '99 with approx 18k miles on it.

Has had a tank re spray, and overall looks in good condition for the age.

The price is a firm £1750.

Appreciate the help.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Fazer Valuation
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2018, 07:36:06 pm »
that looks exceptionally clean so i think the price is about right if its coming from a dealer
by any chance is that at j b motorcycles
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-600-low-miles-exceptional-condition-FSH-12mth-MOT/132462459485?hash=item1ed760ba5d:g:2kUAAOSwEVZaU7bG

looks so similar

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2018, 10:10:50 pm »
That's a good example of a low mileage bike there fella :) The brake hoses would be the first thing I'd be replacing.
Traders prices eh? I suppose they've got to make a living. The question is what's out there that you could pick up privately around 2 grand?
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

russprice

• Cager in Training
  • fzs 600 streetfighter
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2018, 04:06:37 am »
hi ive just been looking for the same, ended up buying a 98 with 26k on the clock -unfaired some light cosmetic damage that was easy to fix for £1200 though ebay ,there where a a few 2002-03 with 40k on clock again small damage for £1295 the better ones all seem to be about £1700 though dealers for a 98-2000 hope that helps  :)

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2018, 06:19:34 pm »
picked up my 99 fazer very good condition full service history new tyres for a grand 17 is way too steep for one

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2018, 08:53:44 pm »
Always haggle with dealers, even if its some riding gear that you come away with, some will offer you helmets/gloves etc, get whatever you can

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2018, 08:35:12 am »
too expensive. i paid 400 quid for my 99.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2018, 11:05:08 am »
paid 450 for my 2k but its in a hell of a state

Jeffstoon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2018, 06:37:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice team, got a few on either side of the fence.

I want something reliable I wouldn't have to do too much to.

Saying that I think if i can get him down a bit or get a few sweeteners ill be happy, it will have 12 months MOT and the three months warranty, and its local so any issues their only round the corner.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2018, 10:45:25 pm »
im sure if you walked in with 1525-1650 in cold hard cash and said that is the best you can do (dont do a 00 number) the sight of the cash will twist his arm - i say dont do a 00 number because it is a physiological thing that a 00 number you can get a bit more a 25 shows you are trying - hope that makes sense

russprice

• Cager in Training
  • fzs 600 streetfighter
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2018, 08:00:02 am »
try for around the 1600 mark after haggling up if he wont move or throw in any goodies then if all else fails try to get a longer warranty thrown in (probably worth more in the long run for piece of mind) and remember he wont be shifting many bikes this time of month and year so he should shift on price ..play up on tank respray to get it down as well

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2018, 08:45:57 am »
Lots of opinions here,
£1750 is a lot of dosh for 1999 bike, but bikes in that sort of condition are becoming rarer, 16K miles is nothing as long as its been serviced.

Shame its a Box and not a Fox, if for no other reason than the headlights, 16 K miles is a very low mileage to have had S/Steel headers fitted, if the tank was re-sprayed, Why?  :rolleyes

Looking at the picture it would seem to me that it is more than the tank that has been sprayed as there are no decals at all on the seat fairings either, that might need some questions asking.

I am left with the feeling that it may not be such a genuine little bike as it first seems for those reasons only, has this little baby been thrown up the road?
Just asking the question that a few here I bet are thinking.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2018, 09:44:05 am »
I paid £2000 in September 2016 for this 2003 Fazer with 6000 miles on the clock and in immaculate condition. It's possible that I paid too much but I had to have it after seeing it, plus 2 other people were coming to view it after me. He who hesitates is lost !

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2018, 10:54:37 am »
Lots of opinions here,
£1750 is a lot of dosh for 1999 bike, but bikes in that sort of condition are becoming rarer, 16K miles is nothing as long as its been serviced.
Shame its a Box and not a Fox, if for no other reason than the headlights, 16 K miles is a very low mileage to have had S/Steel headers fitted, if the tank was re-sprayed, Why?  :rolleyes

Looking at the picture it would seem to me that it is more than the tank that has been sprayed as there are no decals at all on the seat fairings either, that might need some questions asking.
I am left with the feeling that it may not be such a genuine little bike as it first seems for those reasons only, has this little baby been thrown up the road?
Just asking the question that a few here I bet are thinking.

16 K miles is a very low mileage to have had S/Steel headers fitted
I can throw some light onto that one. My bike a 98 with 20k on the clock and for about 2 years I have been fighting rust holes in my collector and to add to that the bike has not seen a wet road in 17 years. I believe that the headers rot mainly from the inside from condensation that does not get burned I dont get out much but when I do its between 20 and 100 miles so the  condensation gets burned off so if this bike at less mileage has already had its headers changed then that all adds up with doing short milage runs adding up to only 16k total today.

tank that has been sprayed as there are no decals at all on the seat fairings
There should not be any decals on this bikes seat fairings. Also to me that tank looks spot on as new, most resprays of tanks do not bother to fit OEM YAMAHA decals back on.

An interesting exercise is to go to the GOV website and with the reg number you can download the mot history which will show you milage each year and any fails and perhaps a strange period when it was off the road. 

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2018, 11:04:21 am »
that looks exceptionally clean so i think the price is about right if its coming from a dealer
by any chance is that at j b motorcycles
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-600-low-miles-exceptional-condition-FSH-12mth-MOT/132462459485?hash=item1ed760ba5d:g:2kUAAOSwEVZaU7bG

looks so similar
That ebay one has a tank pad - at least in that picture and the Yam tank decals are black ---------------- hang on why are they black and this bike white, Im not sure now which s OEM or ar thy both. I am no help here as on my black bike they are silver
« Last Edit: 13 January 2018, 11:05:23 am by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2018, 11:10:40 am »
Another thought is that you dont a tank respray and then nothing else, surly whatever happened to need the tank spray would also mean other stuff needs doing.

I once took a car for a test drive at a dealers and in the glovebox was the last owners address and phone number so at the side of the road I rang them and asked them about the car. Shame you cant do that here   

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2018, 11:50:14 am »
I paid £2000 in September 2016 for this 2003 Fazer with 6000 miles on the clock and in immaculate condition. It's possible that I paid too much but I had to have it after seeing it, plus 2 other people were coming to view it after me. He who hesitates is lost !

I don't think you paid too much. The book valuations aren't relevant to exceptional bikes like this I don't think.

Also depends how much you want something and how long you're going to have to wait to find another in that condition.

The world is full of crappy, badly maintained heaps of shit. Can take a long time to find a good-un.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 January 2018, 12:03:44 pm »
Thanks, YamFazFan. I hadn't seen one in such good order before, and I am glad that I bought it. It's a real pleasure to ride,

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2018, 12:54:38 pm »
I dread it when people ask what I've paid for different vehicles.

Not because I think I've overpaid or been ripped off at all, but some people will suck air through their teeth and shake their head even if you told them it was £5:99  :rolleyes

Jeffstoon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 January 2018, 03:08:00 pm »
Well I went for it, got him down a bit.

Did I pay too much? Who knows.

I wanted to feel like I was getting a bit of a deal so the slice off the top helps with that.

But I am now the owner of a Fazer, so its all good!

Appreciate the advice.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2018, 03:31:07 pm »
Well done Jeffstoon. Now get out and enjoy riding it. I'm sure that you wont be disappointed.

daviee

« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2018, 04:14:06 pm »
Well I went for it, got him down a bit.

Did I pay too much? Who knows.

I wanted to feel like I was getting a bit of a deal so the slice off the top helps with that.

But I am now the owner of a Fazer, so its all good!

Appreciate the advice.

you prolly did in some peoples eyes but if your happy to pay what you did then does it really matter

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2018, 05:21:03 pm »
You're always going to pay a bit more if you buy from a dealer. They're in business, they aren't a charity.

People frequently overlook that and value it as a private sale in their mind.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2018, 05:27:33 pm »
I dread it when people ask what I've paid for different vehicles.

Not because I think I've overpaid or been ripped off at all, but some people will suck air through their teeth and shake their head even if you told them it was £5:99  :rolleyes

Ditto servicing and repairs.

No matter how cheap you get it done there's always someone that says 'Ooh that's a lot, I wouldn't have paid all that' etc etc.... :z