Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:51 pm

Author Topic: Oh dear !!  (Read 2464 times)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Oh dear !!
« on: 10 January 2018, 10:59:46 am »
Young girl at my local was moaning about her car breaking down on the M25. She said she thought it was "pulling a bit to the left"
A passing motorist flagged her down and her nearside tyre was deflated and completely split in two and must have been running on the rim.

I blame power steering and all the other modern comforts which isolate drivers from all the "feel" of todays cars.

Maybe its just another reason why you guys still love biking.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear !!
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2018, 11:20:53 am »
Young girl at my local was moaning about her car breaking down on the M25. She said she thought it was "pulling a bit to the left"
A passing motorist flagged her down and her nearside tyre was deflated and completely split in two and must have been running on the rim.

I blame power steering and all the other modern comforts which isolate drivers from all the "feel" of todays cars.

Maybe its just another reason why you guys still love biking.

I feel the same about auto parking -- great it gets your can in a tight parking spot that you couldn't but then the person in front or behind hasn't got parking assist and prangs your car trying to get out of the stupid gap that you have left them 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2018, 12:13:41 pm »

I’m surprised she didn’t hear it. A deflated tyre flogging along kicks up quite a racket.

You’re right about modern high-tech cars. A work colleague was proudly telling me of his new Kia yesterday: about the automatic braking and how it nudges the steering to keep you in lane on the motorway if it detects you wandering.  Joking, I said “so you can just nap most of the way home?” (he has a 2 hour commute). “Oh, no” he replied, “if your hands let go of the steering wheel it sounds an alarm which wakes you up.”

Even ABS is a hazard in the wrong hands. A few years ago I was heading into London on the M3 (when it was 50mph policed by average speed cameras). Someone cut across me in order to undertake the vehicle doing 50 mph in lane 3, as he missed the corner of my car by about 10mm I flashed my lights at him. He took that as a declaration of war and brake checked me, twice. He had ABS, I don’t and it was a bloody miracle he didn’t cause the collision he intended.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2018, 01:26:07 pm »

I’m surprised she didn’t hear it. A deflated tyre flogging along kicks up quite a racket.

Twice I have been in hire cars in the USA where the suspension was so soft, the concrete roads too noisy and the roads too straight that we have had blowouts and not noticed for so long that the tyre was shredded.

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2018, 06:53:21 pm »

Twice I have been in hire cars in the USA where the suspension was so soft, the concrete roads too noisy and the roads too straight that we have had blowouts and not noticed for so long that the tyre was shredded.

US roads are terrible for causing alarming noises: they either squeal at the slightest provocation, make moaning noises, clunks like you’re going down a flight of shallow steps or do an excellent impersonation of a flapping tyre.
Every time I’ve been out there I’ve pulled over convinced a tyre has gone down only to find they’re all fine and it was just the concrete surface. I guess once you’re used to it you then discount failed tyre noises and get caught out.
Fortunately UK roads are usually quieter than that, though the M25 has some American style surfaces.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2018, 10:25:44 am »

Every time I’ve been out there I’ve pulled over convinced a tyre has gone down only to find they’re all fine and it was just the concrete surface. I guess once you’re used to it you then discount failed tyre noises and get caught out.
Fortunately UK roads are usually quieter than that, though the M25 has some American style surfaces.

I agree I have done the same, one time in Florida I stopped to check my tyre & the cops pulled alongside and asked what was wrong when I explained he advised that the area I had stopped was not a safe place for "whites" to stop!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2018, 10:41:42 am »

I agree I have done the same, one time in Florida I stopped to check my tyre & the cops pulled alongside and asked what was wrong when I explained he advised that the area I had stopped was not a safe place for "whites" to stop!

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2018, 12:05:50 pm »

US roads are terrible for causing alarming noises: they either squeal at the slightest provocation, make moaning noises, clunks like you’re going down a flight of shallow steps or do an excellent impersonation of a flapping tyre.
I know what you mean. A lot of the freeways are concrete and patterned for grip or something. If it were up to me I'd change the frequency of the pattern so it played a tune as you drove over it.  :D
Malc

Old enough to know better.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2018, 12:08:25 pm »

I know what you mean. A lot of the freeways are concrete and patterned for grip or something. If it were up to me I'd change the frequency of the pattern so it played a tune as you drove over it.  :D
They actually did that somewhere like the groves on a record and it sounded good in the car but to people living near by it was just a racket
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2018, 12:47:04 pm »

They actually did that somewhere like the groves on a record and it sounded good in the car but to people living near by it was just a racket

The 1/4-mile long, Civic Musical Road was built on September 5, 2008 on Avenue K in Lancaster, California. The stretch of road between 60th Street West and 70th Street West had special grooves that were cute into the asphalt which, when driven over, played the Finale of the William Tell Overture.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2018, 08:58:10 pm »
Yes but it was in the wrong key though wasn't it.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2018, 12:51:50 pm »
Yes but it was in the wrong key though wasn't it.

no the tyre was A flat!  :rollin :rollin