Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:59 pm

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 701 times)

SPARROW

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Insurance
« on: 06 January 2018, 06:14:32 pm »
Hi,this is something you may not have dealt with. Bike accident and i not at fault. Bike taken from scene by police to a temporary recovery depot until my insurers recovery team can pick up. Told insurers recovery team were it was and they said ok leave it with us. Rang them a few times and they hadnt picked up. Then when i rang again they said bike been disposed of and at first blamed me for not telling them it had to be picked up in 14days. I asked for the calls to be pulled up and let me hear the conversations. Then a few days later they rang and said its their fault and have done a cap valuation on bike but it was a silly amount. I was never informed at any stage about options to buy my bike back. Does anyone know were i stand on this?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2018, 01:48:36 pm »
The option to buy your bike back is down to the insurance company. Basically they don't want the agro of getting rid of it so sell it back to you. Its up to them if they offer this. Not all do.

In your case, they have admitted liability. Just argie the case to get a good valuation for it based on dealer adverts for similar condition/mileage bikes. Send these to the insurance company and push for they average of the advert prices less any excess you may be liable for if the accident was your fault. In this case you say it wasn't your fault, so push for the average replacement cost from a dealer based on the adverts you can produce from reputable sources. (bike trader/e-bay classifieds etc).
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2018, 04:36:21 pm »
Typical insurance company tactic. They look at the book price range and offer you the lowest. As the bike has been disposed of (do you know how?) they are not to know it wasn't in 'showroom condition'. Put in a price at the top of the range and bargain.