Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:20 am

Author Topic: NGK Plugs  (Read 1365 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
NGK Plugs
« on: 08 January 2018, 01:07:25 pm »
Has anyone on here had any issues with NGK plugs breaking down quicker than they should?

Went to go back to work this morning and after eventually getting the bike to start it ran like a total pig.
I cleaned the K&N filter while i was off so backtracked in case i’d kinked a pipe or something but after messing about for a couple of hours trying this and that in the cold i gave up and spoke to my mechanic, and after explaining what i’d already checked he said to try new plugs, regardless of how new my ones were.

My plugs were put in 3000 miles ago and are NGK Iridium with a life expectancy of 40-50K.

I’d kept my old set and once swapped over everythiing ran as sweet as a nut.

I don’t remember ever having a set of plugs fail on me so didn’t actually recognize the symptoms to be honest, so it was a learning curve anyway, but must admit i was not too impressed with them failing that quick.

He did mention that although they still are one of the best brands out there, he has noticed a drop in quality, no doubt due to manfacturers saving a few quid here and there.

Worth knowing in case you encounter any similar issues.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: NGK Plugs
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2018, 01:18:28 pm »
Are you sure they are genuine NGK? There are a lot of fakes about.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2018, 01:49:01 pm »

I'd hang onto those iridiums and check them later. I expect they'll be fine after a good clean.
You mentioned you had difficulty starting: damp on the HT leads or cap could easily have caused that and once the thing's built up a bit of soot on the insulator from misfires caused by that the problem continues.
Mine was pig too last week after 13 days sitting idle, a good thrash along the M4 and a chance to dry out thoroughly was all it needed. IIRC your commute isn't very long and is in town so the bike probably suffers more.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2018, 02:48:10 pm »

I'd hang onto those iridiums and check them later. I expect they'll be fine after a good clean.
You mentioned you had difficulty starting: damp on the HT leads or cap could easily have caused that and once the thing's built up a bit of soot on the insulator from misfires caused by that the problem continues.
Mine was pig too last week after 13 days sitting idle, a good thrash along the M4 and a chance to dry out thoroughly was all it needed. IIRC your commute isn't very long and is in town so the bike probably suffers more.

They didn't look dirty, and they weren't loose or anything, so i don't think i really want to play the game of sticking them back in the bike in the hope that they 'might' work.

At least i know the signs now, and i only swapped these plugs last time just for the sake of it, but the bike sprang to life and ran sweet as soon as they were in so i'll let it be for now.

I was so looking forward to going to work as well after 16 days off.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2018, 06:02:41 pm »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2018, 06:15:33 pm »
Got less than 2000 on my last set , very disapointed , I still have them somewhere will dig them out and check against guide posted by TREBUS   :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2018, 08:13:17 pm »
Great post Trebus.

I have had a defective brand new NGK spark plug but that was many years ago and I've not had a duff one since.