Date: 24-04-24  Time: 19:11 pm

Author Topic: Not another oil thread!  (Read 2076 times)

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
Not another oil thread!
« on: 07 January 2018, 09:09:26 pm »
Anyone know who manufactures Halfords semi synth. motorcycle oil? Just done an oil change with some and it looks & smells similar to Silkolene!
Probably wrong, usually am.
Rob

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Not another oil thread!
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2018, 10:27:44 pm »
Would of thought most semi synths smell much the same as its a blend of mineral and synthetic oils.

Halfords are a massive company and hardly likely to sell rubbish oil and tarnish their reputation.

Must admit I am a Shell Advanced oil man myself, either semi or fully synth depending on what I can find on offer shopping around.I
have purchased Shell Advanced Fully Synthetic cheaper than some places sell Shell Advanced Semi Synthetic.

To be honest it probably makes no difference what make of oil you use as long as it it designed for motorcycle wet clutch use (4T Oil) and you change it regularly. I change mine at the end of every summer season before she goes into hibernation for the winter usually at about 1,500 to 2,000 miles.
Not a good idea storing a bike for months on end with dirty acidic oil in the mill.   

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2018, 06:32:39 am »
I change mine at the end of every summer season before she goes into hibernation for the winter usually at about 1,500 to 2,000 miles.
Not a good idea storing a bike for months on end with dirty acidic oil in the mill.   

But wouldn't the new oil sit gathering condensation all winter?.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2018, 07:37:03 am »
I change mine at the end of every summer season before she goes into hibernation for the winter usually at about 1,500 to 2,000 miles.

But wouldn't the new oil sit gathering condensation all winter?.

I'm not sure but I would still prefer clean oil in the engine than dirty acidic oil if it is going to sit for 5 months.
Oil in a can that its in the shed next to the bike does not get full of condensation so not sure why the oil in the bike would condensate.
Condensation in oil usually occurs because of short runs with the engine not getting up to temperature and the cooling down again.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2018, 08:20:33 am »
So the condensation is formed during the warm-up period and not whilst the bike is in winter storage?.

If so I guess you're right, it wouldn't matter renewing the oil prior to lay-up.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2018, 08:29:20 am »
You should never store an engine with dirty oil, the fine dirt/carbon particles can settle over long periods and form a hard sediment in the bottom of the engine sump, it will eventually break up but invariably it will be some time after you have changed the oil, so now you have all the sediment back in your new oil, your new oil is hardly measurably better than the stuff you took out. 

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2018, 08:26:37 pm »

Totally agree- but I don't lay my bike up for the winter.
Rob

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2018, 07:47:44 am »
Best oil is Silkolene Comp4 - the rest is rubbish - fact  :z
when in doubt go flat out

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2018, 09:53:44 am »
Best oil is Silkolene Comp4 - the rest is rubbish - fact  :z
You don't work for Silkolene by any chance? If that is not the case it must be your meds kicking in :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2018, 10:33:42 am »
Anyone know who manufactures Halfords semi synth. motorcycle oil? Just done an oil change with some and it looks & smells similar to Silkolene!
Rob

The general rumour on the internet is that it's Comma.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2018, 10:39:30 am »
Rob

The general rumour on the internet is that it's Comma.

......or Castrol lol