Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:08 pm

Poll

Mainly aimed at those of you with Loud pipes fitted, Do you use earplugs when you ride

Yes  & I have a loud pipe fitted
10 (27.8%)
No   & I have a loud pipe fitted
9 (25%)
Yes  & I don't have a loud pipe fitted
14 (38.9%)
No   & I don't have a loud pipe fitted
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Loud pipes and earplugs  (Read 6636 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Loud pipes and earplugs
« Reply #25 on: 10 January 2018, 02:14:44 am »
I have the OEM exhaust on my FZ6 but when I started riding, initially I didn't use earplugs.

However I then tried some (they were giving them away for free at one of the Ride it Right events at Haslemere Fire Station) and realised that a) I could still hear what was going on around me and b) I didn't end up with ringing in my ears from the constant wind-blast, so now, unless I'm just riding around town, I will always wear them because I like my hearing!

(PS loud pipes don't save lives, defensive riding does! :pokefun )

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 January 2018, 07:44:20 am »
I haven't found a helmet quiet enough to reduce wind noise to an acceptable level. Wear ear plugs always on the bike due to wind noise. My loud exhaust is to let others know I'm there and to annoy the neighbours. Also makes my willy bigger.
Serious stuff.......I'm an old fart who's had several operations to restore hearing after a lifetime of ignoring noise damage......it's not funny when you lose your hearing and it will happen to YOU!
when in doubt go flat out

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2018, 07:24:09 pm »
as above. i've always been the knob with the loud pipe and now i'm paying for it. the loudest bike i ever had was a 500-4 with a marshall 4-1 hollowed out. boy, did i think i was the dogs! hearing aids are intrusive and do not restore your hearing like it used to be. plus you get the added benefit of feeling old.  use them earplugs!!!!!!!

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 January 2018, 06:11:00 am »
and I thought my 550/4 with a Marshall Deep Tone exhaust sounded great with the baffles in...

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 January 2018, 07:20:31 am »
Not convinced about wearing ear plugs because of wind noise and loud exhausts. When the boffins came up with this was any account taken of the  work or other noise conditions the riders with hearing loss experienced on a regular basis.  I've tried wearing them on several occasions but with out fail finish up with an ear infection, though I mostly wear ear defenders when using power tools and air powered breakers and tools at work.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 January 2018, 12:14:50 pm »
Not convinced about wearing ear plugs because of wind noise and loud exhausts. When the boffins came up with this was any account taken of the  work or other noise conditions the riders with hearing loss experienced on a regular basis.  I've tried wearing them on several occasions but with out fail finish up with an ear infection, though I mostly wear ear defenders when using power tools and air powered breakers and tools at work.   
Could be a good point that as people who ride bikes generally speaking don't really have office jobs do they? By ride bikes I am not referring to the type with all brand new gear and brand new bike that only rides in the summer.
But I do use plugs bum am a little def in 1 ear but not from riding. 
Ear infection ?
I have problems and dont like to stuff the plugs down like they are supposed to go and cut off the last 1/4 an only put them part way in. Maybe you are compacting and stuffing wax down there, try just to put them in a bit
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 January 2018, 06:05:32 pm »
I ride a 2001 Fazer 600 with a standard exhaust and use the Pinlock earplugs on every ride because of wind noise. I also find that using 2 or 3 Buffs around my neck to fill the gap up to the helmet chin line also cuts out a lot of wind aggravation.

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 January 2018, 07:00:13 pm »
I was told to wear lug plugs to stop tinnitus :eek, must admit not a fan but at high speed can tell the pressure change inside the lid, ive got a HJC with chin guard put pinlock on for winter, agree with wearing a good necker for sure.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #33 on: 14 January 2018, 11:55:25 pm »
I bought the "Whisper Curtain" for my Shoei XR-1000 years back which fills in the gap around your neck.

It did cut out some noise (and, especially, cold draughts when combined with the extra chin section too) but it still wasn't as good for me as a set of earplugs.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 17 January 2018, 04:44:44 pm »
I always wear earplugs but only because of the wind noise. I have a loud exhaust but don't really hear it over the wind noise.

I have a supposedly quiet schuberth lid, but I I rode any distance at all without earplugs my ears ring.

My hearing is quite important to me and I think I would miss it. I soon forget I'm wearing earplugs, and on all day tours they are a godsend. :-)
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2018, 11:47:43 am »
Much better with loud farts and ear plugs.