Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:16 am

Author Topic: how did it turn off ?  (Read 1720 times)

leatherhead

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
how did it turn off ?
« on: 06 January 2018, 07:50:30 pm »
Hi everyone

i have just acquired my FZ6 04,

out for a blast to get used to her, came off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway, went to over take a line of lorries and opened her up, halfway past and she died, crap I've broke it already :'( [size=78%], wouldn't start by releasing the clutch and I'm slowing down fast (this is a fast carriageway) better get off the road, I managed to squeeze between two lorries then quickly onto the verge and pull up.[/size]

bewildered looked at the dials and hmmm no lights or power, then look at the key it's in the off position??  turn the key and all lights and check sequence? and it starts????

anyone else had one turn itself off, or was I able to not turn the key properly travel for 35 miles before it decides it don't like it... never had this before

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: how did it turn off ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2018, 02:07:43 am »
Weird!

I had mine cut out once, but that was due to a faulty kill switch.

It's possible that you had turned the key enough to complete the ECU circuit, but without it "locking" in place and maybe the vibration jiggled it back until it switched off, but that's just a guess.

Try operating the key a few times and see if it feels sticky or moves too easily.

If all else fails, you might have to replace it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2018, 09:51:47 am »
Weird!

I had mine cut out once, but that was due to a faulty kill switch.

It's possible that you had turned the key enough to complete the ECU circuit, but without it "locking" in place and maybe the vibration jiggled it back until it switched off, but that's just a guess.

Try operating the key a few times and see if it feels sticky or moves too easily.

If all else fails, you might have to replace it.

I am assuming that the ignition/key switch is on the top steering yoke as it is with the FZS.
Do you by any chance have a largish key fob on the keys and could be possible for the fob to be slapping about especially at high speeds or under hard acceleration to slowly turn the key? don't know if it is possible but just a thought, anyway fobs that thrash about whilst riding mark the paint or finish on the top yoke.  :rolleyes 

leatherhead

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2018, 11:14:58 pm »
Grahham, that's what I think must have been the case..

Tommyardin, definite possibility as have the plastic rac card thing on the ring....

I've been out a few times since and not happened again, but if it does not a  biggie now just gonna reach forward and turn it back on again  :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2018, 09:25:47 pm »
There was a recall on these to replace the TPS which was causing the bikes to surge, idle roughly or cut out.

Check if it was done