Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:36 am

Author Topic: Focer font of knowledge AV experts  (Read 15041 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Focer font of knowledge AV experts
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2018, 06:19:00 pm »
I tried changing the ps2 settings output but that did not help.

But I did also try the yellwo in each plug in turn and found that if I put the PS2 yellow into the tv White tail of the 3.5 plug I could see some flashes of the ps setup screen and when I pulled the 3.5 jack almost all the way out I got a clear picture, its like the 4 sections of the jack plug dont line up with the connection inside the tv unless my 3.5 to RCA is a dodgy one
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2018, 06:51:21 pm »
Been fiddling and found that red-red and white -white without the yellow then I still get a faint buz sound but the left and right speakers are working from the PS2 as they should and soon as I add the yellow the buz gets loud and still no vid.
If I plug the PS2 yellow into the white of the tv and leave off the white and red from the ps2 then pull out the 3.5 plug almost all the way I then get the vid signal as I should. Its like the 4 connections on the 3.5 post are in the wrong place.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2018, 07:04:58 pm »

OK I will try swapping around combos but before I do will it damage anything and also why is there a 4th section on the 3.5 jack when only 3 go in

Don't worry: you will not damage anything by changing the order of the signals.

Thee phonos into a four-contact jack is correct (three signals [RWY] and one common earth [the three screens of the phono plugs]).

There are six possible combinations of three signals: just try all combinations and see if you find a combination that works.

To make it simpler to do, here are all the combinations:

RWY
RYW
WRY
WYR
YRW
YWR
« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 07:23:45 pm by stet »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2018, 07:37:00 pm »
what you are doing will never work since your are trying to get a signal "OUT" of an "IN" port.

It requires a special cable with a Sony unique plug to plug into the Sony unique PS2 "AV1 RGB" port. that will give you your Sound and video out.

« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 07:37:52 pm by unfazed »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 January 2018, 07:49:15 pm »
what you are doing will never work since your are trying to get a signal "OUT" of an "IN" port.

It requires a special cable with a Sony unique plug to plug into the Sony unique PS2 "AV1 RGB" port. that will give you your Sound and video out.

Thats what I have got and using

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 January 2018, 07:55:41 pm »

OK I will try swapping around combos but before I do will it damage anything and also why is there a 4th section on the 3.5 jack when only 3 go in

Thee phonos into a four-contact jack is correct (three signals [RWY] and one common earth [the three screens of the phono plugs]).

There are six possible combinations of three signals: just try all combinations and see if you find a combination that works.

RWY
RYW
WRY
WYR
YRW
YWR
Now I am getting some where the one that works the best is 231 but with the 3.5 plug all the way in I get a buz and a flickering screen until I partly pull out the 3.5 plug and then get a perfect screen and no buz but only sound out of 1 speaker - the right and if I very very gently twiddle the plug I get sound out of the left speaker but not the right no amount of twiddling at 231 gets the sound out of both speakers unless it is a loud buz with no vid.

I am getting close to a beer and if that happens I may well need a new tv and PS     

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 January 2018, 07:59:50 pm »
The background to all of this and why I am not buying a PS 3/4 is because I do not game or need one but this ps2 was a friends who brought it around to Sharp Hall for new years eve and they have 14 singstars that only work on ps2.
WE had such a laugh that it may be used again for partys and new year but other than that its not used so spending £2 on the cable I have got I dont mind

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 January 2018, 08:12:14 pm »

Wait a cotton pickin minute by all the gods I think you are on to something.
The cable in your picture has metal on the outside but mine is plastic is that the difference or is that just a better quality cable in your picture   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 January 2018, 08:48:07 pm »

RWY
RYW
WRY
WYR
YRW
YWR
Now I am getting some where the one that works the best is 231 but with the 3.5 plug all the way in I get a buz and a flickering screen until I partly pull out the 3.5 plug and then get a perfect screen and no buz but only sound out of 1 speaker - the right and if I very very gently twiddle the plug I get sound out of the left speaker but not the right no amount of twiddling at 231 gets the sound out of both speakers unless it is a loud buz with no vid.

I am getting close to a beer and if that happens I may well need a new tv and PS   

By pulling out the plug a notch you are changing the contact sequence of the wiring to the socket and plug.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 January 2018, 10:42:42 pm »

I have created some confusion as I changed the sequence from numbers to colours. Can you say which colour order your 231 relates to?

Did you try all combinations of colours?
« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 10:47:21 pm by stet »

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 January 2018, 10:55:04 pm »
For reference, here is the user manual for the PS2:   

https://www.playstation.com/manual/pdf/SCPH-79002CB_79003CB.pdf

What is the make and model number of your TV?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 January 2018, 11:03:33 pm »

I have created some confusion as I changed the sequence from numbers to colours. Can you say which colour order your 231 relates to?

Did you try all combinations of colours?
I thought I understood so I labled
y = 1
R = 2
W =3 on bothe sets and ran through your list
and found 231 as described in my earlier post so
 Ps red to tv yellow
ps white to tv red
ps yellow to tv white

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 January 2018, 11:21:03 pm »
OK.

Can you try this:

(1) Remove all PS2 BNC phono plugs.

(2) Push the four contact jack fully home into and out of the TV jack socket at least ten times (hopefully to clean the contacts and exercise the jack socket internal switch- if fitted).

(3) Connect the yellow PS2 phone plug to the TV BNC phono sockets in turn.

(4) Which connection gives you a picture (there should be no sound from the TV left or right speakers).
« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 11:44:40 pm by stet »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 January 2018, 11:29:57 pm »
OK.

Can you try this:

(1) Remove all PS2 BNC plugs.

(2) Push the four contact jack fully home into and out of the TV jack socket at least ten times (hopefully to clean the contacts and excercise the jack socket internal switch- if fitted).

(3) Connect the yellow PS2 plug to the TV BNC sockets in turn.

(4) Which connection gives you a picture (there should be no sound from the TV left or right speakers).

No BNC connectors mentioned, that would massively simplify things?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 January 2018, 11:38:54 pm »

Wait a cotton pickin minute by all the gods I think you are on to something.
The cable in your picture has metal on the outside but mine is plastic is that the difference or is that just a better quality cable in your picture

I hope you don't mind me answering this question which was addressed to you unfazed.

The PS2 plug with the metal on the outside is a better plug than one with a plastic outside but the metal only acts as a local screen and has no affect on the functioning of the cable (other screen connections are included on the contacts of the PS2 connector). Of course, the metal version will wear better.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 January 2018, 11:41:55 pm »
OK.

Can you try this:

(1) Remove all PS2 BNC plugs.

(2) Push the four contact jack fully home into and out of the TV jack socket at least ten times (hopefully to clean the contacts and excercise the jack socket internal switch- if fitted).

(3) Connect the yellow PS2 plug to the TV BNC sockets in turn.

No BNC connectors mentioned, that would massively simplify things?

Whoops BNC= Phono. Typo- will correct original post.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 January 2018, 11:57:37 pm »
Ok thanks everyone I will try in out 10 times tomorrow, sounds like a good idea as that socket has never been used in 5 years.

So buying the lead with the metal instead of plastic will make no difference then. When I look down the connection socket that is actually on the PS2 I can see that there are metal contacts that would connect with a metal plug, unless they are just spring loaded do-dahs to hold any plug in place plastic or metal. Odd taht the OEM sony one is plastic and yet there are after market ones that are metal.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 January 2018, 12:04:26 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 02:13:18 am by stet »

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 January 2018, 12:09:35 am »

So buying the lead with the metal instead of plastic will make no difference then. When I look down the connection socket that is actually on the PS2 I can see that there are metal contacts that would connect with a metal plug, unless they are just spring loaded do-dahs to hold any plug in place plastic or metal. Odd taht the OEM sony one is plastic and yet there are after market ones that are metal.

It is quite normal to have connectors with different constructions. Don't concern yourself with the plastic/metal thing. It could even be that the plastic plug is, overall, a better quality connector.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 12:17:18 am by stet »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 January 2018, 12:16:51 am »
Oh Sharpie!
I am so surprised that Lady Sharp even allows you to fuck about on a play station, you should be out in the grounds of Sharp Hall doing maintenance not pissing around with the offspring's toys.
Get your wellies on and get out there man, for it will not be long before the visitors start to flood to the Black and Gold painted wrought iron gates at the end of your drive demanding admission to the Stately Home and its opulent grounds.
I feel loathed to mention that the visitors centre could do with a lick of paint, I did notice that the last time the wife and I and the rest of the peasants form Hampshire came up to visit during summer.   

The picture below was the one i like to most of your pad, I sneaked the shot as we humbly approached the impressive gateway to the Estate, I got a few dirty looks from staff but they allowed me to keep my camera, for which I am eternally grateful.

« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 12:23:46 am by tommyardin »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 06 January 2018, 07:26:20 am »

Does the PS2 work when you plug it into the other sockets that you don't wish to use? - Just making sure there's nothing wrong with the PS2 and the output lead.

Looking at your original post I may have noticed a problem.

The picture of the sockets at the rear of your TV. You have circled the socket you wish to use, the line of that circle goes through another socket next to the one you're trying to use. To me, it looks like you should be using both sockets. One for Audio (left) and one for video (right).

The easiest option would be to buy a PS2 to HDMI Converter.

stet

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 January 2018, 11:30:37 am »
Yes, there does seem to be something odd going on because one of the combinations of connections should work OK on most TVs (as far as I know).

My thoughts are that:

(1) there is a specific fault with the system somewhere: jack socket on TV, or phono to jack cable (the PS2 to phono lead has been proved because it works when plugged in the back of the TV).

(2) the TV has a non-standard A/V jack socket arrangement (knowing the TV model may allow this to be resolved)

(3) the output from the PS2 needs to be set up from the configuration menu

(4) the output from the PS2 needs to be set up from the configuration menu

(5) the jack plug is simply not going fully home into the jack socket on the TV for some mechanical reason

This seems to be the most common TRRS (Tip Ring Ring Screen) jack plug audio visual pin out (composite video, individual left and right audio, ground [screen]:
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 12:02:43 pm by stet »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 January 2018, 11:50:17 am »

Does the PS2 work when you plug it into the other sockets that you don't wish to use? - Just making sure there's nothing wrong with the PS2 and the output lead.

Looking at your original post I may have noticed a problem.

The picture of the sockets at the rear of your TV. You have circled the socket you wish to use, the line of that circle goes through another socket next to the one you're trying to use. To me, it looks like you should be using both sockets. One for Audio (left) and one for video (right).

The easiest option would be to buy a PS2 to HDMI Converter.

I know this is now a long thread but that has been delt with earlier yes the lead has been used ok when plugged into the back of the tv

The picture is direct from the pdf manual I have not circled it - that is how it is in the manual showing which socket to use.
Here is a picture of the input screen showing that the AV 3 has been plugged into and showing that AV 3 is a YRW - Composite and the second picture is how it looks with the 3.5 plugged all the way in - also comes with a loud buz if I pull out the plug part way the buz gos and I get a proper picture but only sound out of 1 speaker
I know i am no selected the input on the picture but i just moved the selection so that you could see that the AV3 is in colour and live (not greyed out)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 06 January 2018, 12:04:20 pm »
Yes, there does seem to be something odd going on because one of the combinations of connections should work OK on most TVs (as far as I know).

My thoughts are that:

(1) there is a specific fault with the system somewhere: jack socket on TV, or phono to jack cable (the PS2 to phono lead has been proved because it works when plugged in the back of the TV).

(2) the TV has a non-standard A/V jack socket arrangement (knowing the TV model may allow this to be resolved)

(3) the output from the PS2 needs to be set up from the configuration menu

(4) the output from the PS2 needs to be set up from the configuration menu

(5) the jack plug is simply not going fully home into the jack socket on the TV for some mechanical reason

This seems to be the most common TRRS (Tip Ring Ring Screen) jack plug audio visual pin out (composite video, individual left and right audio, ground [screen]:

(picture to be inserted when I find out how  :'( )

Here is the tv LG 55lw550t
I have tried another YRW to 3.5
I have tried different output settings on the PS2

Due to the nature of access I can just about get my fingertips to it so I will get the pliers out and push

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 January 2018, 12:45:10 pm »
Some pictures with captions 
« Last Edit: 08 January 2018, 01:27:12 pm by fazersharp »