Date: 19-04-24  Time: 06:15 am

Author Topic: Bike test ?  (Read 1977 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Bike test ?
« on: 04 January 2018, 01:29:43 pm »
Asking for a mate as I passed my bike test 25 years ago up in Nottingham!!
mate interested in getting a bike, he's 38ish and now looking at getting a bike, he's got car licence so what does he have to do to get a full bike licence?
any one recommend a training school in Portsmouth / Gosport area?

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Bike test ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2018, 01:34:59 pm »
CBT, Theory, Hazard perception, and the practical tests.
At his age he has the choice of going for a lower power licence or going straight for the full fat licence. If he is doing anything other than the 125 licence he will need to do all of his training with an instructor and no "free practice" on a larger capacity bike.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2018, 04:53:13 pm »
mate interested in getting a bike, he's 38ish and now looking at getting a bike, he's got car licence so what does he have to do to get a full bike licence?
If he has ridden bikes before then he would be best off going straight for the Direct Access Scheme (DAS) Course. Not cheap though but only 3 or 4 days and he gets a full licence (if he passes his test of course).
If he hasn't ridden bikes before then he would need to consider some form of training and and then going the CBT etc. route.
I am one of the lucky ones. I passed my test in 1978 when the examiner stood on a corner with a clipboard and watched you go around the block.  :lol
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2018, 07:34:10 pm »
If he has ridden bikes before then he would be best off going straight for the Direct Access Scheme (DAS) Course. Not cheap though but only 3 or 4 days and he gets a full licence (if he passes his test of course).
If he hasn't ridden bikes before then he would need to consider some form of training and and then going the CBT etc. route.
I am one of the lucky ones. I passed my test in 1978 when the examiner stood on a corner with a clipboard and watched you go around the block:lol

Same as Grayo, my test took about 12 minutes, riding around a figure of eight just off the Epsom Road Guildford, examiner walked down ally-ways between the roads of the figure eight and appeared at different points around the circuit. I had to ride at walking pace beside him for about 40 or 50 feet without putting a foot down, I had done some trials riding so that was a piece of p--s, just trailing the rear brake, a Jump out on you from behind a van emergency stop (Could see hill feet and trouser behind the van as I came up the hill) totally prepared  :lol 
Back to the test centre 3 questions and thank you very much. 1966
I was back at home in Fernhurst Sussex within two hours of leaving, 32 mile round trip.
Jobs-a-Gudun   :rolleyes

Mind you my car test wasn't much longer, about 35 minutes to complete, thank you very much again. :lol   
« Last Edit: 04 January 2018, 07:48:12 pm by tommyardin »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2018, 08:08:24 pm »
I have often advised similar people to take their test and go for the full licence not the restricted ones.
Then be realistic and buy a suitable bike afterwards - nothing larger than a 600 until you get the hang of them.

Whichever route he takes for the test it will be expensive but it's easier to take one test rather than putting yourself through it all again to upgrade later.

When my stepson turned 17 I pestered him to take his test. I do remember him saying stuff like "Yeah yeah quit yer moaning", it didn't take too much to get him through. He then spent several months lauding it over his mates cos he'd passed his test and they hadn't..... Exactly the same story with his car test.
Now that the test has got harder (or at least more obstacles in the way) he is glad I whinged at him. His mate who is just about to turn 24 is now going to take his DAS as he is finally fed up of riding a 125. It doesn't help when he's got two of us saying "You should have listened all those years ago"

I do love it when I can say "Told you so"  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2018, 06:40:04 am »
I am one of the lucky ones. I passed my test in 1978 when the examiner stood on a corner with a clipboard and watched you go around the block.  :lol

I had to do a days CBT, i think in 1997, even though i'd been riding since 1987, and there was a French bloke there who had a scooter delivered by truck to the training area so he could learn on that, but obviously wasn't allowed on the road yet without an instructor.
As i had vast experience in comparison i ended up giving others help when they were stalling their bike, etc, but when this particular fella had to do his emergency stop it all went a bit Pete Tong.

The instructor put his hand up for him to stop, but then the bloke unwittingly looked down to see where his brake pedal was.
It was all a bit of a blur but in that very long one or two seconds the bike went straight past the instructor AND through a hedge behind him.

Fail  :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2018, 07:45:15 am »

Same here, but about a decade later and not all that long before they changed the test.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2018, 09:18:04 am »

If you have a chat with Mark at Lostit racing (an exceptionally good mechanic) on the boat yard industrial estate, Fareham, I am sure he will point you towards a good instructor. There used to be a training school attached to Mark's workshop, I don't know whether it's still there but either way it's a good start point.
is it clean enough?