Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:24 pm

Author Topic: That bloody winter sun: DIY sunshield  (Read 3138 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
That bloody winter sun: DIY sunshield
« on: 28 December 2017, 06:16:18 pm »
So have done the electrical tape thing and got bored of the adhesive smearing away from the edge every time I cleaned the visor, so after a bunch of browsing and finding motorcycle specific products like sunax costing way to much for that they do I happened across this idea -

- http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-styling/anti-glare-fade-in-strip-black

My thinking is I cut a strip 2-3cm from the fade side, and even though its a cling fit secure the ends with some cellotape. And then if the fade side dosent work try the other side.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: That bloody winter sun: DIY sunshield
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2017, 06:37:56 pm »
I use a strip I cut from black carbon vinyl wrap.  I find anything semi opaque isn't good enough against low winter sun.
Intentionally left blank

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2017, 08:19:47 pm »
I use a strip I cut from black carbon vinyl wrap.  I find anything semi opaque isn't good enough against low winter sun.
I did wonder if that was going to be case, got a link to where you got yours from..? and how did you get it to stay in place on the visor..?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2017, 08:25:17 pm »
 I've been looking at these for a while.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2017, 08:43:45 pm »
I've been looking at these for a while.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2017, 08:52:52 pm »
So have done the electrical tape thing and got bored of the adhesive smearing away from the edge every time I cleaned the visor

Odd, I've had electrical tape on my visor for the last several years now and never had a problem with the adhesive smearing away whislt cleaning.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2017, 09:01:04 pm »
Some of those electrical tapes have a very gooey adhesive. The kind of stuff that gets all over your fingers and then the tape doesn't stick very well either.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2017, 08:24:44 am »

Any vinyl wrap will do i would imagine.  It tends to have much better adhesive than tape etc.  This in the pics has been on probably two years and gets every day use all year round.  No adhesive has crept out.  I chose carbon as it is just looks so darn cool - ok it is all I had lying around...  It is cheap and comes in many colours/designs, you would only need an A4 size sheet to make a few of these, it is designed to lay flat and bubble free so goes on really nicely, it can take a couple of goes to get in the right place and have straight lines etc.

Intentionally left blank

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2017, 08:56:50 am »
I've had the Sunax sunshade strip for years now, but i don't remember it costing anywhere near that stupid price?

Used this for years as well though, anti fog, auto tint, anti glare......worth every penny. Need to make sure you order the correct one, as Arai ones allow for the air vents in the visor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=pro+visor+fog+insert&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xprogrip+visor+insert.TRS0&_nkw=progrip+visor+insert&_sacat=0
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2017, 08:44:42 pm »
 The thing is that even if you manage to block the low sun, if the roads are damp, there's nothing you can do about glare from the road cos if you wear a tinted visor or glasses, dark enough to help, the shadows are just blacked out. Dry, mild, overcast days are the only days I choose to ride in the winter nowadays. I don't feel a moment's envy when I see a bike on the road on a shitty, slippy, grim Janaury morning.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 08:45:46 pm by vinnyb »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2017, 10:12:05 pm »
It is better with these though, visor wipe on the left finger keeps glare away.  Black visor isn't really an option because it will be dark when setting off to work in winter, low sun coming up on the way.  For me the bike cuts a good 30 or more mins each way on my commute so conversely I don't envy those stuck in traffic in their cars. Every day. 
Intentionally left blank

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2017, 01:03:42 am »
The thing is that even if you manage to block the low sun, if the roads are damp, there's nothing you can do about glare from the road cos if you wear a tinted visor or glasses, dark enough to help, the shadows are just blacked out. Dry, mild, overcast days are the only days I choose to ride in the winter nowadays. I don't feel a moment's envy when I see a bike on the road on a shitty, slippy, grim Janaury morning.

Good quality electrical tape = no glue issues. Polarised glasses = no road glare.....job done.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2017, 06:58:17 am »
Bike in the shed, tommy in the car, warm, dry, comfortable, certainly safer, low winter sunshine not so much an issue, no biker gear needed, listening to music, leave home that bit earlier. If it takes 20 mins longer in the car that's what it takes. Arrive at your destination comfortable and screwed up with being frozen or wet, it can also take half that 20 minute difference getting dressed and changed again after bike ride plus securing the bike in the company carpark.
I love my bike (but not in the winter) and that is the reason it stays in the shed well away from salty, shitty, icy roads.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2017, 07:01:52 am by tommyardin »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2017, 12:32:08 pm »
Some of those electrical tapes have a very gooey adhesive. The kind of stuff that gets all over your fingers and then the tape doesn't stick very well either.

Ah, fair enough.

The stuff I have is unbranded and I've had it for years, but the glue doesn't leak out!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2018, 07:18:36 pm »
Good quality electrical tape = no glue issues. Polarised glasses = no road glare.....job done.
I have tried various brand of electrical tape and they all do that 'adhesive smearing from the edge' to some degree when cleaning the visor.  And I wear glasses and not coffing up for polarising version of the lenses.

So I am trying out the £5 self-cling sunstrip kit from Halfords atm, with some sellotape along the top and ends -

« Last Edit: 02 January 2018, 07:20:27 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2018, 11:43:43 am »
So tested it at around 11am yesterday and it worked quite well, it reduces the glare from the sun just enough. The acid test though will be 8am on a dry crisp morning when the sun is very low.watch this space.