Date: 25-04-24  Time: 05:53 am

Author Topic: Ohlins kit - what's in it?  (Read 959 times)

Lord_D

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZXR750R
    • View Profile
Ohlins kit - what's in it?
« on: 25 December 2017, 01:35:11 pm »
When I bought my 2005 FZs it had an Ohlins shock with remote preload and a sticker on the forks.

The forks are very good and seem to respond to rebound and compression changes, but all I can find online are oil and spring kits.

Is that all that is likely to be in it? Or were there other internals that could have gone into it?

Cheers,

LD
Nullius in Verba | Per Ardua Surgo

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Ohlins kit - what's in it?
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2017, 02:21:12 pm »
The only way to tell for sure what is in your forks is to strip them down and check the internals. As far as I am aware Ohlins never made any cartridge kits or other internals other than springs for the Gen1 which would be backed up by the fact that you can't find any mention of this on the web. That doesn't mean to say that the internals haven't been upgraded with components from another company but as I said you wouldn't necessarily know until you strip the forks to find out. Re sprung I find the forks on the Gen1 to be pretty good and I can control the damping well enough and notice the changes in each adjustment, though I'm aware that other owners have not felt the same so YMMV. Cartridge kits are fairly expensive and so are not often fitted so at best I would suggest that your springs have been upgraded and at worse someone put a spare sticker from the shock on the forks.

Lord_D

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZXR750R
    • View Profile
Re: Ohlins kit - what's in it?
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2017, 09:29:52 pm »
Aye, that's what I suspect.

I don't think there is anything more than springs and oil, but the guy that did it may have ventured a bit further and made sure that the adjusters were cleaned up to make the action a bit smoother.

I've heard a few times about the adjuster needles being left a little rough, meaning that fine adjustments weren't always possible or effective.

A clean up and smoothing out can make a difference.
Nullius in Verba | Per Ardua Surgo