Date: 17-04-24  Time: 00:49 am

Author Topic: A few questions for you :)  (Read 19439 times)

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions for you :)
« Reply #50 on: 28 January 2018, 08:26:34 pm »
@robbo

Good, at leaest that one point to me vs handguards lol,  I've just installed a MRA screen so will probably buy the handguards and see spacing and fitment options. Still debating the fuzzy mirror mod.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 28 January 2018, 09:25:10 pm »
Hope it works out ok L8onz, keep us posted.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 29 January 2018, 09:08:07 am »
I did the fuzzy mirror mod years ago... wouldn't go back...but my bike is still on original bars.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 29 January 2018, 06:25:09 pm »
I did the fuzzy mirror mod years ago... wouldn't go back...but my bike is still on original bars.

I read that it would help with seeing directly behind you, is it a marginal difference or is it significant?

Does it move the mirror stalks forward at all? Debating if it could help with handguard spacing.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29 January 2018, 09:23:37 pm »
In my opinion on standard bars the improvement was significant.
Not sure about the handguard issue.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 30 January 2018, 04:37:35 pm »
@dickturpin

I know what mod has just been added to my list of to do's then lol

Will purchase some handguards and give a fitting test.

Thank you

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30 January 2018, 08:57:51 pm »
If I remember correctly you can always go back to standard if you don't like it...but hopefully you'll get the same improvement as I have found.
Do let us know how it goes!

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 03 February 2018, 01:14:57 pm »
@dickturpin

Will update when I have time to fiddle with things :)

Next query.....my centre stand isn't full lifting when I take the bike off of it, but lifts and stays up when I give it alittle nudge, am gunna have a pokey around, just it a clean and spray and make sure the springs are no rubbing together.......Is this a common issue or does it just need cleaning?

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 03 February 2018, 07:09:16 pm »
cleaning and wd40
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 04 February 2018, 07:12:53 pm »
Finally got round to having a fiddle with the bike this afternoon, got to remove, clean and regrease the side stand, worked a treat. :)

Cheers devilsyam,

Gave the centerstand a good clean too and thats another problem solved.

I fitted my MRA screen a few days ago, in the rain, alot better then the standard screen that was on there, works lovely on the motorway.

Mirror mod and handguard test fitting still to do :)

Questions

1.I found another breather/overflow hose down the left side, is that suppose to be there?

2.Also I have smoke, not from the end of the exhaust, but off the exhaust underneath the bike will see if I can get the video to upload. Is this something to worry about (sounds like a daft question), nothing is on the exhaust from what I can see, I've noticed a funny smell when starting up and riding a few times, but never found where it was coming from till now.

3.There is a strange sound when the engines running, I think I've pinpointed it to the fuel pump under the right hand side of the seat, are these prone to problems? I tried getting a video (will try to upload aswell) to get the sound but don't think the video does the noise justice.

4.I removed the scottoiler as it wasn't doing anything and rather do it myself, Theres a thin black hose that comes off the top of the reservoir and goes down to the top Carb to engine rubber number 1, as seen in my first post on the thread, picture 3 :) what's best to use to block off when I remove that connection and the black hose?

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 04 February 2018, 07:15:44 pm »
Unable to upload videos  :'(

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 04 February 2018, 07:21:51 pm »
Where exactly is this hose you've found on the left side?  Is it hanging free or connected to something else?

I hope I'm wrong but it's possible the smoke you're getting off the exhaust is actually coolant leaking onto the EXUP collector box.  The oil and coolant pump are combined inside the sump and if the seals on the latter fail, the coolant dumps out of a drain hole in the sump pan which drops directly onto the exhaust.  More info here:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37957&highlight=water+pump

Fuel pumps are usually pretty reliable.  You might be hearing noise from your camchain adjuster.  You need to be certain exactly where the sound is originating.

What's the year and mileage?

Use a rubber stub cap the same as on the other carbs to block the vacuum stub when you remove the Scottoiler.  I've known folks use a short length of hose with a bolt in the end to do the job but best to get the proper item.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 February 2018, 07:37:51 pm »
Exhaust Smoke Video

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 February 2018, 07:43:38 pm »
@Falcon 269

The hose is around the area of the side stand, didn't think to take a photo as hands were dirty, will try and get out on day after work while it's still light.

I've not notice any leaking around that area, nothing on the floor after being sat for awhile. Will check out the link and have a gander in depth.

Is the camchain adjuster usually noisy? Would that be located underneath the fuel tank area?

It 2002 (51 plate) currently around 36,600 miles.

Shall have a source for one of them and tidy it up :)

Cheers Buddy

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 February 2018, 10:08:58 pm »
Hmmm, although the clip is short and the sound quality not so good, something sounds unwell there ... not fuel pump, more like cam chain.  The tensioner is the bit sticking out behind the cam chain tunnel on the right side of the motor.  Focus your attention there to see if that's where the noise is most obvious.

The smoke looks like it's coming from the back of the motor rather than the coolant weep hole in the sump.  Good news in one way, perhaps, although if that smoke is continuous, you clearly have another problem to track down.

More photos, longer video, covering all around the motor would be helpful to us in diagnostics. :)

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 06 February 2018, 06:58:43 pm »
@Falcon 269

Had another quick nose around after work today, the sound is definitely on the right hand side, where you have suggested......will have a gander about on here and in the Haynes manual and familiarise my self with the area :)

No smoke this time...........though will have a lengthly look and record on saturday, when I have an extended time with natural light.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 06 February 2018, 09:01:26 pm »
Just a thought ... have you recently overhauled the EXUP?  Could be the smoke is copper grease burning off in that case.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 07 February 2018, 05:15:13 pm »
@Falcon 269

The EXUP valve was removed prior to be purchasing the bike. One of the previous owners had a new exhaust system installed removing it completely.

Had a gander at a new cam chain tensioner (just incase I need one when I do have a nosey about the bike saturday), £140 from fowlers  :eek they having a laugh or what........anyone know if somewhere that sells new cheaper?

Googled the part number and did findsome with an extra -00 on the part number (same part name) for yamaha boat engines in USA going alot cheaper lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07 February 2018, 06:05:20 pm »
If tensioner is a problem you could fit a manual one which is about £50

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 07 February 2018, 09:02:48 pm »
Manual cam chain tensioner on ebay £35.99 +£3.99 postage. Item number: 253370768059. Same guy I got mine from. Peace of mind as well as they are known to let go.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 09 February 2018, 06:14:30 pm »
Cheers Guys, Have  added it to my watched list.

Had another gander this evening as it's due to rain tomorrow :/ the cam chain tensioner is making some noise......But most of the noise I can hear is still from the fuel pump. :/

Had more smoke this evening, but it was from the exhaust link pipe up the side of the bike, will try and upload pic. Any ideas why it's doing this?

Also adjust rear wheel alignment, got it straight but still not freely turning after a push......also having issues deciding how to measure chain tension........Haynes manual says 40-45mm midway between the front and rear sprockets (I'd say just behind the black chain guard under the swingarm).......but the picture shows it further back than what I would call midway (in the middle of the front end of the tyre). Where is the reference point to measure? (I've measured it before just behind the chain guard thingy, but after faffing with rear wheel, only just read about it in the Haynes manual and it has confued me abit).

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 09 February 2018, 06:44:54 pm »
PieEater put together an extremely thorough and helpful FAQ regarding Gen 1's at the top of this section. Chain adjustment is covered in that thread :) .

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 09 February 2018, 07:15:59 pm »
PieEater put together an extremely thorough and helpful FAQ regarding Gen 1's at the top of this section. Chain adjustment is covered in that thread :) .

Spot on Thank you

Something I forgot to mention, was the other overflow pipe i seen by the side stand........pics attached.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2018, 07:16:31 pm by L8onz »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 09 February 2018, 07:21:09 pm »
Air box drain hose with inline filter.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 09 February 2018, 09:03:16 pm »
@Falcon 269

Had another quick nose around after work today, the sound is definitely on the right hand side, where you have suggested......will have a gander about on here and in the Haynes manual and familiarise my self with the area :)

No smoke this time...........though will have a lengthly look and record on saturday, when I have an extended time with natural light.

While the bike is running pull the clutch lever right in to the handle bars and see if there is a reduction or change in the sound.