Date: 24-04-24  Time: 13:59 pm

Author Topic: A few questions for you :)  (Read 19521 times)

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
A few questions for you :)
« on: 24 December 2017, 08:36:36 pm »
Hey Guys,

I've noticed rubber hoses hanging out the bottom of the right side of my bike, anyone any ideas what they are for? (pic below)

I've noticed these wires underneath, are these for the exup valve that the previous owner had removed?? (pic below)

Also noticed the plastic on the carbs looks rather...........cracked.......is this normal or something to be worried about? (pic below)

Cheers guys
« Last Edit: 24 December 2017, 08:38:01 pm by L8onz »

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions for you :)
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2017, 09:56:10 pm »
The pipes are over flow and breather pipes and nothing to worry about.
The cables are ex exup cables.
And finally, Holy crap!
I'd get those carb rubbers changed asap.
Is this your first bike?
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2017, 10:01:57 pm »
1) Breather / overflow hoses at least one of these is the fuel tank breather hose.
2) Yes, shame as the EXUP makes a big difference to the low down power delivery.
3) It's my understanding that the intake rubbers do crack externally due to age but internally they are usually sound with the odd exception. Falcon 269 AKA Mike would be able to confirm this as he has worked on hundreds of these in the past. I assume you have a scottoiler or similar on the bike due to the hose fitted to the vacuum stub rather than the usual cap.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2017, 02:09:43 pm »
Glad the tubes are nothing to worry about, may have to look into tucking them away somewhere as it looks abit daft them just hanging there.

To be fair, I'm happy with the performance, its not like I'm going to race much on the road anyways, it's just one less thing to maintain on the bike.

The cracks do look like an outer casing, just had a gander at replacements and can't beleive how expensive they are. Is this a urgent job or could it wait for a little while (couple of months)?

I have a scottoiler, but its ran to the rear sprocket for lubing chain, thinking of removing it as I'm happy with spraying lube on the chain regularly, I know its being done then. Will have a gander at the tube on the rubbers in pic and see where it goes.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 December 2017, 02:30:57 pm »
If the bike is performing well enough then there is no hurry to replace the intake rubbers if that's what you want to do. They turn up on eBay fairly regularly so just take your time to find a decent set rather than rushing into buying ones that are in the same or worse condition than the ones you have.

To be fair the Scottoiler doesn't look like it's doing a great job with the chain anyhow. I've ditched them on the couple of bikes I've bought with them fitted as they didn't seem to be doing anything and like you am happy to lube the chain myself.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2017, 02:46:43 pm »
it is not just the cracks in the inlet manifold rubbers, they are starting to laminate also, while this is OK on the outside, should, and I say should, this happen on the inside it will not be OK.
Those rubbers as Celtic said need changing, so why not change them now while you are possibly not riding the bike so much because of inclement weather.

The last thing you want is next Spring for the rubbers start leaking and drawing air into the manifold messing with the mixture the bike runs crap and has to come off the road, just as the good weather arrives.
Anyway your only putting off something that you need to do very soon, if you decide when to do it, you will feel much better about doing the job rather the broken down bike dictating the terms.
What the F do I know  :lol  I am not even man enough for a Mighty Thou  :'(

If one of the pipes that you mention is a fuel tank breather be a little careful re-routing it as it is quite close to the collector on the exhaust, also you don't want to kink or pinch it by re-routing it and causing sharp bends in it.
« Last Edit: 25 December 2017, 02:51:42 pm by tommyardin »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2017, 04:14:17 pm »
The pipes hanging down to the side of the engine are in that position so that if anything does drip from them it is not in the path of the back tyre.
If the cables from the exup are disconnected has the exup valve been removed or is it seized?
Either way no exup will affect the low down running on a gen1, and new ones are very expensive and secondhand working ones are very rare.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 December 2017, 05:48:39 pm »
@ PieEater

The bikes running as it should from what I can tell, I've only had 'Bluey' (daughter choose the name) for a few weeks now. I'd never buy second hand parts, don't know for sure how long they'll last either.

@tommyardin

I'd make sure the tube still do their job, just be nice to hide them abit.

@slappy

The exup valve was removed when a new exhaust system was put on, I knew it wasn't on the bike before I bought it. I've read it dulls down the power abit without the exup valve in the lower revs, if this is all that it'll do, I think I'll live with the power I have  :lol

Anywhere you guys recommend having a gander at for parts? I've used Wemoto.com already.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 December 2017, 07:58:12 pm »
If the cables from the exup are disconnected has the exup valve been removed or is it seized?
Either way no exup will affect the low down running on a gen1, and new ones are very expensive and secondhand working ones are very rare.
If you check the first photo you will see that the downpipes have been replaced presumably by a set of Sandy Spares or whatever they are calling themselves now, eliminating the collector box and EXUP housing.

....Those rubbers as Celtic said need changing......What the F do I know  :lol  I am not even man enough for a Mighty Thou  :'(
Most if not all Gen1 inlet rubbers are cracked externally, mine included, granted not to the extent that the OP's are but nevertheless this is a common occurance on these bikes. The bike is apparently performing well so it is unlikely that the rubbers are damaged internally and suggesting that all 4 rubbers will degrade at the same point in time so as to make the bike unrideable is frankly ridiculous. If the OP want's to spend out on a set of brand new rubbers then that is his decision, personally I would recommend spending the money on upgrading the OEM rear shock and biding my time for a decent set of used rubbers to turn up on eBay but each to their own.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 December 2017, 10:02:53 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS1000-FZS-1000-FAZER-2001-2005-GEN1-AIRBOX-TO-CARB-RUBBERS-X-4/142595602473?hash=item21335c3829:g:tpIAAOSwonBaFtYq

Advertised as good condition, crack free, £15-00 Free delivery.

Or you could buy these rubbers provided they are the right year for your Gen 1 Mighty Thou, and still upgrade the rear shocker for another £200, if you can find a second hand one, or perhaps £??-00 if you can't. :lol

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 December 2017, 07:45:33 am »

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 December 2017, 09:14:08 am »

Most if not all Gen1 inlet rubbers are cracked externally, mine included, granted not to the extent that the OP's are but nevertheless this is a common occurance on these bikes. The bike is apparently performing well so it is unlikely that the rubbers are damaged internally and suggesting that all 4 rubbers will degrade at the same point in time so as to make the bike unrideable is frankly ridiculous. If the OP want's to spend out on a set of brand new rubbers then that is his decision, personally I would recommend spending the money on upgrading the OEM rear shock and biding my time for a decent set of used rubbers to turn up on eBay but each to their own.

If the rubbers are not going to 'fail' then I'm more then happy to leave them in place, I'll buy new if they are needed, but at that price, not for s**ts and giggles.

The shock is on my list to replace, previous owner says it's fine even with his wife on the back, but did read they needed changing at around 15k and with the bike sitting at 36k, I knew it would need doing.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2017, 10:48:43 am »
Scottoilers do a great job of continuously lubing the chain, and will extend the life of the chain and sprockets 3 or 4 times compared with spray-on.......... IF the Scottoiler is maintained properly. It needs filling, adjusting and ensuring the tubes are not kinked. Most complaints about them not working are because they are neglected.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2017, 11:13:01 am »
I would not worry about the cracked in let pipes, I am sure Mike will confirm that the rubber is just a covering over metal.
When I meet Mike at a Ivanising session he had a old set that he cut in half just to check.

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 December 2017, 11:28:16 am »
@mtread

To be honest, I'd rather know that I've lubed the chain, rather than hoping its working.

@Ricky

You can see in the picture an underlaying metal base beneath the outer 'casing', I'm gunna keep an eye on performance for now. See how it goes.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 December 2017, 04:26:10 pm »
I would not worry about the cracked in let pipes, I am sure Mike will confirm that the rubber is just a covering over metal.
When I meet Mike at a Ivanising session he had a old set that he cut in half just to check.

There is a section of the stub which is solely rubber but as others have said, it's pretty thick.  I've never seen one crack all the way through but I did find some this year which had started to disintegrate and crumble.  They were from the same bike and it's not something I've seen previously. 

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 December 2017, 05:05:07 pm »
There is a section of the stub which is solely rubber but as others have said, it's pretty thick.  I've never seen one crack all the way through but I did find some this year which had started to disintegrate and crumble.  They were from the same bike and it's not something I've seen previously.
Thanks for the confirmation Mike I have updated the FAQ - "The rubber on the inlet manifolds between the carbs and the cylinder head is prone to cracking, this is generally cosmetic with no reported issues of the cracks affecting the internal walls of the manifolds or the performance of the engine."

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 December 2017, 06:20:59 pm »
Nicely worded. :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2017, 01:12:05 pm »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2017, 03:57:31 pm »
At that price I would have had them myself...
I don't need any but a bargain is a bargain  :lol

L8onz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 December 2017, 05:11:00 pm »
Right then, next question to start another debate lol

When my brake light comes on, the number plate lights up even more, is that how it should be ie. it uses the same bulb as the tail/brakelights or do I have crossed wires?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #22 on: 28 December 2017, 06:04:47 pm »
dont know about the 1000's but most number plate lights are just from the tail/brake light
if you have a look underneath it will be clear and can see the bulbs/reflector

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2017, 06:18:28 pm »
dont know about the 1000's but most number plate lights are just from the tail/brake light
if you have a look underneath it will be clear and can see the bulbs/reflector
Exactly, the tail light has a clear lens underneath that directs light from the bulbs onto the number plate, when the brake lights come on more light is directed through this clear lens as well as through the red portion of the light, it's just the way it is designed.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2017, 06:19:52 pm by PieEater »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2017, 08:58:14 pm »
Yes, that's how it's supposed to be.

Next question.