Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:13 am

Author Topic: True colours shining through, True colours that's why I love you.  (Read 13224 times)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: True colours shining through, True colours that's why I love you.
« Reply #25 on: 21 December 2017, 11:02:53 pm »
i for certain know they go for silly money and are easy to work on aswell which is just a bonus - might have to send a few back home if i ever get to japan (got to pay the rent somehow) there is a huge following and the c90 club seriously have the knowledge (not nearly as good as us though)
if your gonna rattle can it and ride it for a year or two then sell - then you cant make a loss i know a 6v engine alone just got sold for £200 (go figure)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2017, 08:52:57 am »
1500.  - 2grand a time,    easy money,  like he says once you have done one  you know where to get the parts from,    the exhaust are silly money to buy.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 December 2017, 09:52:55 am »
Well I have given into an urge that has plagued me for years now and bought my self a BLUE motorcycle, yes the true colour, but I might fit some Silver bits to it just cos I can.

What bike is it? You ask.

Well I am loathed to tell you because i know you will all be green with envy.

It is not in my possession yet, but am going over to give it a good once over tomorrow, but I have done the deal and electronically shaken hands on it.

Below is a picture of the mighty one, not actually this very one but its the same in most details, apart from its has been in a barn for the last 5 years, a dry barn I hasten to add and was last started about 18 months ago.

I know you jealous lot of foccers are all on the edge of you seat thinking is a a Moto Guzzi or a Laverda Jotta or some such beast, no I tell you much, much better that either of those.

It is a

I bought my 1992 C90-G Cub back in January with 11000 miles on clock. Replaced the tyres with new rubber & the exhaust  which was pretty rusty. Rode around on it this summer-the highlight being taking it to the Manx GP late August( in the back of a van). It made the TT course an interesting experience although I prefer a manual clutch it was enjoyable.
Mr Honda never intended these little bikes to last 25-50 years so there are areas to watch out for especially the underside of the main frame tube that can rot out and under the plastic section at the back where water can collect. Eventually the rust can reach the top mounts of rear suspension with MOT problems.
I stripped mine down this autumn and have had some welding work done on the main frame & have powdercoated all the steel bodywork.
Have got a brand new Lifan 110cc 4speed motor with manual clutch ready to fit and hope to be returning to IOM for next years Manx GP.
Does yours have a name yet, Tommy?. Mines known as "Henry" (Honda-Fonda get it?)
You seem to have got a bargain-I paid considerably more than you but its a "keeper" :lol

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 December 2017, 04:47:00 pm »
I know you saying to yourselves Lucky, Lucky Bastard.  :lol
I have bought it at a brilliant price of 100 quid, and it looks in reasonable condition, the owner said that the only thing that was wrong when it went into the barn was one of the rear indicators was flashing slower that the others. Possibly a bad earth I reckon.
But it should be a bit of a winter project, and fun to ride in the spring.

See if I can get Mrs tommyarding to do her CBT and she can ride it.

Can you imagine turning up at Loomies bikers cafe in West Meon on that   :eek lol   

The only thing wrong when it went into the barn is that it came out again :lol
Sorry I couldn’t resist that.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 December 2017, 05:49:53 pm »
What a bargain. Although its a modern one, not got the round indicators (sniff). I had one in the last century when I was an apprentice. Red, kickstart snapped off when I got it, I just used to snick it into second and walk a few paces with it, started every time. Had it two years, all I ever did was fuel it up twice a year. Wonderful little machine. £200. Jeez.

I think I will replace them indicators that are on it with some small LED ones that should increase the top speed by about 8 miles an hour, will probably sell the old ones to a local builder he could use the as bricks. :lol

Its the runabout down to the shops etc. Id have one tomorrow if they weren't daft money. I have seen some lovely conversions, not like the ugly thing in a previous post, but for me the charm is in the original design and function. People do world tours on em you know  ;)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 December 2017, 05:55:38 pm »
I know you saying to yourselves Lucky, Lucky Bastard.  :lol
I have bought it at a brilliant price of 100 quid, and it looks in reasonable condition, the owner said that the only thing that was wrong when it went into the barn was one of the rear indicators was flashing slower that the others. Possibly a bad earth I reckon.
But it should be a bit of a winter project, and fun to ride in the spring.

See if I can get Mrs tommyarding to do her CBT and she can ride it.

Can you imagine turning up at Loomies bikers cafe in West Meon on that   :eek lol   

The only thing wrong when it went into the barn is that it came out again :lol
Sorry I couldn’t resist that.

WHAT !!!
Go wash your mouth out, Admin have a word will you, two strikes like that and you would be out of a decent club, your probably be OK in here though :eek

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 December 2017, 04:38:36 pm »
Hope you all had a great Christmas day  :lol

Now any of you guys in here ever owned, or, know where to find the engine number on a Honda C90 Step-Through? It is a 1989 model, I have found the frame number it is on a riveted plate on the side or the bike above the left hand side tool box/cover under the edge of the seat it is also stamped into the frame near the swinging arm, same side just to the rear of the  engine.

The Parents of the owner moved from Hampshire to Cambridge about 5 months ago and because the bike had been shut up in a barn/shed since 2011 assumed their son had got rid of it, so threw out the folder with all the bits and bobs that were pertinent to the Honda, including the registration documentation.

Now I know you can apply for a new one at the cost of £25 but I am not sure what info is needed so I am guessing Frame number (Which I have) Registration Number  (Which I have) and possibly an engine number which I can not find on the engine anywhere, now there is signs of a sticker that was on the top of the engine at some point but it is long gone just some signs of where it was and some glue remains.

The only thing that I can see is cast into the iron cylinder barrel " E11" and "85 cm3" E11 I am assuming is the type and 85cm3 it the capacity of the engine 85cc, classed Honda 90.
It must have been named by a bloke they also make out things are bigger than they actually are.

Have just purchased a Haynes Manual from eGay £13-00 inc postage, but alas it is not in my possession as yet and I could do with having this engine number to hand.

The good thing is, and, it also makes thing easier is that the person I purchased the Honda off will apply for the replacement V5 Reg Document in his name and pay the £25 out of the purchased price. 

I can then register the bike in my name, but I believe he will need the info asked for above to apply for the V5.

Does anyone know when VIN numbers first started to be used in the UK? there is no VIN plate on the 1989 Honda just the frame number on the Alloy Plate and swinging arm.
Cheers my dear, now back to that Slow Gin  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 December 2017, 05:13:53 pm »
Well I have given into an urge that has plagued me for years now and bought my self a BLUE motorcycle, yes the true colour, but I might fit some Silver bits to it just cos I can.

What bike is it? You ask.

Well I am loathed to tell you because i know you will all be green with envy.

It is not in my possession yet, but am going over to give it a good once over tomorrow, but I have done the deal and electronically shaken hands on it.

Below is a picture of the mighty one, not actually this very one but its the same in most details, apart from its has been in a barn for the last 5 years, a dry barn I hasten to add and was last started about 18 months ago.

I know you jealous lot of foccers are all on the edge of you seat thinking is a a Moto Guzzi or a Laverda Jotta or some such beast, no I tell you much, much better that either of those.

It is a

Hiya Punk no not that exact one,  Below is a picture of the mighty one, not actually this very one but its the same in most details, apart from its has been in a barn for the last 5 years, a dry barn I hasten to add and was last started about 18 months ago. I just grabbed a picture of a blue on from Google Images.
But as you pointed out not in to bad a nick. One like the original that I posted for example are selling for around 2.5 to 3K and over some of them £3750 is thew highest price i have seen with the exception of one with 38 miles on the clock one owner from new and that was going for £4700 :eek 

Not sure what happens to some of my posts it keep writing in my text That I am only 78% Size  :grumble  bit rude and personal I feel, when I say I feel you know what I mean  :rolleyes :lol

The one above went for £6,230 at the end of bidding.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 December 2017, 05:50:49 pm »
under the lowest cooling fin of the barrel on the crankcase is where im reading from other sources should start c90-xxxxxxxxxx

the e11 isnt that a euro type approval stamp (seems to early to me) and 85cm3 is just the capacity but we all know that
« Last Edit: 26 December 2017, 06:02:28 pm by Disorderlypunk »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 December 2017, 06:01:25 pm »
quick thought - give that area a scrub , because the 85cm3 is cast in so it sticks out
engine numbers are stamped in so could have got filled/covered with crud over time making it invisable

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 December 2017, 07:04:04 pm »
quick thought - give that area a scrub , because the 85cm3 is cast in so it sticks out
engine numbers are stamped in so could have got filled/covered with crud over time making it invisable

Cheers Disorderlypunk,
I'm afraid someone has put much to much slow gin in me for me to possibly even make it to the shed, let alone read a number.
Torrow.
Cheers

oops! Tomorrow
« Last Edit: 26 December 2017, 07:04:47 pm by tommyardin »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 December 2017, 07:10:59 pm »
yep i can defiantly tell that is true, if torrow doesnt come maybe tomorrow will lol
have a good one - im just on the real ale (somehow i spent christmas eve and day sober - sat night not so much)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 January 2018, 12:22:56 am »
Well it has been a while since I looked at the C90, had the carb off and cleaned it out, the carb is in very good ,condition but was really dirty inside, squeaky clean now though in and out. Made up a maintenance petrol tank as I did not want to put clean fuel in the C90 petrol tank until it has been thoroughly clieaned out.
Found a bit of a problem with the bike, I thought to start with that the engine was partly siezed on kicking it over the engine did not spin over as I would have expected, but felt strangely tight as if the piston was tight in the bore. I removed one of the tapper covers and kicked her over again and the tapper just nodded, and did not compress/open the valve at all.

Now I am feeling rather pissed off, looking like there are fairly serious issues with this lump, valves not opening engine refusing to turn over properly,I  thought I would check the compression, plug out, finger over plug hole, push the kick starter down buy hand and could feel some compression but not much as the thing still was not turning over properly.
Stood up and in my frustration was rather harsh on the kick starter and gave it a hard shove down and the motor spun over as Inwould of expected it to, thought to myself something had freed off plug back in and the bloody thing feels as if it semi seized again, plug out and she spins over rapidly..WTF is going on?

Quick search on the net came up with lots of hits saying it is 100% the clutch that's gone, one hit explained that the centrifugal clutch is slipping and not overcoming the compression of the engine and that is why the motor spins over fine with the spark plug out.
He recommended leaning the bike hard over to the left, almost on its side and try kicking it over with the plug in, this I did and the bike started on the third kick, it ran sweet as a nut after the first juddering coughs, bike back upright again on the stand and she is ticking over great. Switched the bike off and it refused to start again until I laid it over again.
This is the symptom according to the guys explanation of a fucked centafugal clutch. He said often the bike being left for a long period allows the plates to stick together and if the bike is low on oil (which it was, it did not show on the dipstick even with it screwed in) the plates can dry out and the lining material can shrink and start to tear off when it's kicked over.
Methinks the guys knows what he is talking about, he discribed exactly what was happening and how to start the bike by laying it down after topping the oil up.
New plates about £18.00 plus the same for a complete engine gasket set, aparantley engine out about 30 to 40 minutes and the plate replacement takes about 30 minutes he said the hardest part is cleaning the old gasket off the two mating case faces.
I love it when a plan comes together. Thumbs up for the Web, such a useful resource.
Engine was coming out anyway for a complete bodywork makeover.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 January 2018, 08:50:43 am »
Great thing the web , lots of crap on it but some really helpful tips , advice and knowledge , you just got to sort the good from the bad....
sounds like youve found a fazer owner whos also an expert on C90s   :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 January 2018, 09:36:35 am »
if the hardest thing on a c90 is removing old gasket then they must be real easy elsewhere
who would have thought a centrifugal clutch would cause that to happen

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 January 2018, 09:48:17 am »

Great thing the web , lots of crap on it but some really helpful tips , advice and knowledge , you just got to sort the good from the bad....
sounds like youve found a fazer owner whos also an expert on C90s   :thumbup

Cheers Red, The helpful hit was not from a Fazer owner as far as I know, just a random internet search hit, he obviously knows a lot about C90's and is happy to share his knowledge. As you said lots of good stuff out there but needs to be sieved out from the abundance of shite that there is as well.

Pleased so far with what I have seen of the C90, some rust at the back end but certainly not rotten, no welding needed as far as I can see, mostly surface rust.
Stripped the wiring harness out, the wireing is so simple, lights only work with the engine running, the model that I have is the first of the electronic ignition models so no contact breakers as in the earlier C90's.
One busted indicator but other than that all electrics are good and working as they should.
I have a nice set of led indicators that I will fit them as the original rear ones stick out so far it I could see it could make filtering a bit hit and miss, being hopeful more miss than hit.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 February 2018, 03:29:45 am »
Well some time had passed since I posted in here.
Quick update on the 1989 Honda C90-G.
Completely stripped the Cub down and was pleasantly surprised at how little rust was on the old thing, the bits that had surface rust I sand blasted in a mates sandblasting cabinet and removed all trace then spent hours with wet and dry rubbing the thing down.the insides of all the box sections have be painted with Red Oxide, the body work including all the plastics have been primed/undercoated and given four coats of china blue enamel just a couple of bit left to spray, I have run out of china blue paint so order another can.
Huge clean up in the shed everything was covered with blue over-spray dust.
Popped the cover off the side of the engine to reveal knackered clutch plates, I had anticipated that one and had a full gasket set and new plates sat on the bench, new clutch in this afternoon and had to spend about an hour and a bit cleaning the old gasket off the two halves of the case, not sure what those Japanese fitters use but it was a bastid to remove.
Anyway new clutch now fitted. 
New tyres and tubes and rim tapes arrive 3 days ago so will fit them tomorrow (And mend a puncture in my push bike at the same time)
Finish off a bit more spray painting when the paint arrives then leave it for a couple of weeks for the paint to really cure before starting reassembling the old thing, actually I might leave it until the end of the first week in march before reassembling as I going be out of the country for a while.
Nothing particularly exciting just visiting relatives and going with the wife to a book festival in Dubai.       

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 February 2018, 05:22:52 am »
Thats looking good Tommy, but why are you still up at 3.30 am? :eek

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02 February 2018, 11:06:50 am »
There's nothing on the telly, it's like watching paint dry  :)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 February 2018, 11:57:30 am »
looks like you will have a proper minter when your done
good on ya for saving it
not to mention the financial benefits of saving it , better looking than a pension fund aswell

bingo600

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 03 February 2018, 02:50:19 am »
« Last Edit: 03 February 2018, 02:56:30 am by bingo600 »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 February 2018, 11:17:48 pm »
Spent a few hours cleaning the old lacquer off the alternator/front sprocket engine case, wet and dry up through the grades to finish with 1200 grit before braking out the Solvo metal polish, pleased with the way its polished up as the case had about 25% of the lacquer flaked off and case was white and furry/pitted.

I painted the clutch cover engine case with silver heat proof paint, but have decided to pop the cover back off the engine and do the same polishing job to that side as well. 
« Last Edit: 04 February 2018, 11:24:09 pm by tommyardin »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 February 2018, 01:00:34 am »
Spent a few hours cleaning the old lacquer off the alternator/front sprocket engine case, wet and dry up through the grades to finish with 1200 grit before braking out the Solvo metal polish, pleased with the way its polished up as the case had about 25% of the lacquer flaked off and case was white and furry/pitted.

I painted the clutch cover engine case with silver heat proof paint, but have decided to pop the cover back off the engine and do the same polishing job to that side as well. 
Get yourself a bench grinder and some polishing mops and grades of polishing soap and save your elbow grease - not to mention get a fantastic finnish 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 February 2018, 08:19:12 am »

Get yourself a bench grinder and some polishing mops and grades of polishing soap and save your elbow grease - not to mention get a fantastic finnish

I'm off up to see a old mate today to use his sand blast cabinet to remove the paint from the clutch cover he also has a bench grinder with mop wheels so might give that a go at the same time, as you say save some hard work.
Have to admit though I was pleasantly surprised how well the case came up with Wet & Dry and warm soapy water, I started off with 400, 600,1000 and 1200 grit but it obviously left swirl marks but about 45 minutes with Solvo got rid of them.
I tend to be a person who regularly cleans and polishes my bikes so the engine cases will only get better with a bit of Solvo each time I clean the C90.
The black plastic back lamp unit was all pale grey with fade so did the same to that and that has come up well to, only problem is that it is so charged with static that it is a dust magnet now  :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 February 2018, 08:42:19 am »
Thats looking good Tommy, but why are you still up at 3.30 am? :eek

That is just me Slappy, once I start something I tend to throw my all into it and normal life goes out the window.
 :rolleyes