Date: 23-04-24  Time: 11:45 am

Author Topic: Key Number? 2004 FZS 1000  (Read 4512 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Key Number? 2004 FZS 1000
« on: 13 December 2017, 04:08:44 pm »
I have no number code tag on the spare key and there is nothing recorded where it should in the handbook.  I know I can get a key cut by  copying the original but I have been told the number is noted discreetly on the locks, or at least one of them.  If this is so where exactly?  And do all Fazer key numbers of around this time have a prefix letter 'A'.  Secondly if I send it to get copied will they be able to tell me the number?   
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
Re: Key Number? 2004 FZS 1000
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2017, 05:45:37 pm »
Don't think you'll get anyone to part with that information on an open forum.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2017, 05:57:07 pm by Grayo »
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2017, 09:20:29 pm »
Would not want to compromise anyone's bike but I could possibly be sent a message with the information, then at least it's not available to anyone else.  Gone are the days of my youth when all the old yams and other makes, (mine were always two strokes) the number was blatantly stamped on every lock on the bike for all to see!   

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2017, 02:50:01 pm »

Cant help with numbers.

I used this guy so I wasn't without a key and didn't have to get one copied from worn out key. Ive had two cut from photo and both worked better than originals.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/www_keysinthepost_com?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • Half deaf middle aged drummer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2017, 12:14:25 pm »

The price the supplier Dusty used is not too bad. £9.99 for a Gen 1 Fazer key. Depending on their packaging, first class signed for is £1.75 for a small letter, £2.08 for a large letter so basically it's £8.00 for the key.

Cutting from a photo is simple enough if the trader has the required software & hardware. Also, knowing which vehicle the key is for is a head start.
Of course, a key can even be made by hand!

This leads to being aware that leaving (any of) your keys on the bar, shop counter, etc. unattended or unwatched is a real no-no these days as a thief only needs a decent photo of your key to make their own & help themselves to your bike, house contents, whatever!
There is evan a mobile phone app. which will scale the key for you.

Caution is also advisable when using any postal method as the there party by default will know where your house & bike, etc. are located!

As a price guide...Part of my business is key cutting (though I only cut from your key). My Fazer 1 keys are £4.00. Places like Timpsons are about £7.00-£8.00.

Yamaha barrels are renowned for being fiddly as they are on top of the yolk so prone to moisture ingress. I spray GT-85 into mine regularly which helps a lot!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2017, 04:05:00 pm »

The price the supplier Dusty used is not too bad. £9.99 for a Gen 1 Fazer key. Depending on their packaging, first class signed for is £1.75 for a small letter, £2.08 for a large letter so basically it's £8.00 for the key.

Cutting from a photo is simple enough if the trader has the required software & hardware. Also, knowing which vehicle the key is for is a head start.
Of course, a key can even be made by hand!

This leads to being aware that leaving (any of) your keys on the bar, shop counter, etc. unattended or unwatched is a real no-no these days as a thief only needs a decent photo of your key to make their own & help themselves to your bike, house contents, whatever!
There is evan a mobile phone app. which will scale the key for you.

Caution is also advisable when using any postal method as the there party by default will know where your house & bike, etc. are located!

As a price guide...Part of my business is key cutting (though I only cut from your key). My Fazer 1 keys are £4.00. Places like Timpsons are about £7.00-£8.00.

Yamaha barrels are renowned for being fiddly as they are on top of the yolk so prone to moisture ingress. I spray GT-85 into mine regularly which helps a lot!

Caution is also advisable when using any postal method as the suppler will know your house address & where your bike is.

Damn good point.

Sat Nav, your post code, van and its gone.

Both my bike (FZS 600 2003) keys start with an 'A' and have four numeric digits.
But don't risk coming round my house to nick my bike as I have Rottweiler and even that is scared of my Mrs.  :eek

« Last Edit: 16 December 2017, 04:11:49 pm by tommyardin »

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2017, 04:12:54 pm »
So what about when you order luggage, bike parts etc ?
The seller still has your personal details and knows you've got a bike.
Maybe you shouldn't be buying anything online if you're that paranoid.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2017, 04:39:35 pm »
So what about when you order luggage, bike parts etc ?
The seller still has your personal details and knows you've got a bike.
Maybe you shouldn't be buying anything online if you're that paranoid.

Hello any one awake in there

HE DOES HAVE YOUR FUCKING KEY NUMBER AND A COPY OF IT IN HIS POCKET SHOULD HE CHOOSE TO COME AROUND AND NICK IT.

I think that might be the slight difference with order parts or luggage on line. happy purchasing over the festive season.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2017, 05:12:00 pm »
Like I said............... PARANOIA ...................!!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2017, 09:56:29 pm »
Like I said............... PARANOIA ...................!!

'Caution is also advisable' does not amount to paranoia, it amounts to be cautious, why? because it's advisable.

In fact 'caution is advisable' is less paranoid than locking your bike for fear of having it stolen.

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2017, 10:17:44 pm »
So what are we saying here!  I have a key to copy and i know I can get one cut from using this.  But ! My question is :  Is it now totally and completely  impossible to "FIND OUT MY KEY CODE" by any means now that the tag has been lost by one of the previous owners?  Phoning a Yamaha dealer with your frame number does not help! As far as I am aware there are no discreet markings behind ANY of the locks or ignition when  removed,  despite reading about this from motorcycle key suppliers.  A bit shit really  :\ .

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2017, 11:19:07 pm »
Might just be worth taking a high quality photograph of your key something like this, and yes it is my bike key, but alas it only fits the fuel tank and the seat as the ignition lock was replaced 4 or 5 years ago, so if you want to come around after dark you can fill the bike up with fuel for me or check the battery.

YAMA26DP is the name of the blank that fits my bike a FZS 600.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2017, 07:34:13 am »
Have you taken your top yoke off and had a look at the barrel yourself?

I needed a key for my previous fazer that was worn out.  Looking at the barrel it did have a code on but the paint had flaked a bit so it was incomplete. Could have been the code... Takes ten mins to check.
Intentionally left blank

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2017, 07:36:17 am »
Might just be worth taking a high quality photograph of your key something like this, and yes it is my bike key, but alas it only fits the fuel tank and the seat as the ignition lock was replaced 4 or 5 years ago, so if you want to come around after dark you can fill the bike up with fuel for me or check the battery.

Have you got a full tank of fuel and how old is your battery? I need both  :D

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2017, 07:23:58 pm »

Have you got a full tank of fuel and how old is your battery? I need both  :D

If you can get by the Mrs you are welcome to them, The rottweiler will be there as well but he will be on your side, gives you a bit more chance, but I know where the sensible money will be.
Don't fuck with her, she bites.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • Half deaf middle aged drummer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2017, 09:55:21 am »

DECOKE DAVE..........just curious - bearing in mind that you can just go to your local key cutter when you have 5 mins. spare & get a couple of spares cut!....job done!  :) (Go to an independent & you'll save a few quid.) - why the strong desire to find your barrel number?
Sorry your thread got a bit hijacked btw!  :\

Tommy is quite right IMO, nothing wrong with being cautious & looking out for what you've worked & saved for! It's a matter of balance, there is a big difference in ordering products & actually giving someone access to your key.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2017, 01:00:17 pm »

DECOKE DAVE..........just curious - bearing in mind that you can just go to your local key cutter when you have 5 mins. spare & get a couple of spares cut!....job done!  :) (Go to an independent & you'll save a few quid.) - why the strong desire to find your barrel number?
Sorry your thread got a bit hijacked btw!  :\

Tommy is quite right IMO, nothing wrong with being cautious & looking out for what you've worked & saved for! It's a matter of balance, there is a big difference in ordering products & actually giving someone access to your key.

Not trying to earn 'Brownie Points' but  :thumbup

It is the fact that your address complete with post code is written down in the key-cutter's order book along with the key code. Who knows what the people who work for him are like, or, the cleaning contractors that come in a couple of times a week to clean the shop are like, I'm positive generally about others, but there are little scrots out there that will take what you have worked hard for from you, given the chance.
Restrict those opportunities as much as you can.

Anyway Andy it was your wise thought about ordering keys on-line, I had never given that a thought about compromising myself in that way, so fair play and thanks to you mate, it is something I will think more about when giving any of my personal details away in the future.
Thats why I tell my family that if they are buying stuff on line use PayPal.
It's convenient, as secure as it gets and your not giving your card details to every Tom, Dick and Harry, sorry Dick and Harry nothing personal.

Anyway its nearly Christmas so I need to think about what Santa is going to bring me.

I am just trying to purchase an old Honda 90 Step-through that has been stored in a massive shed for about 5 years, its an original G reg and generally seems in reasonable condition, a bit of chrome work will need to be done, massive clean up and service but overall a nice winter project, also a bucket full of fun next summer. :lol

« Last Edit: 18 December 2017, 01:01:32 pm by tommyardin »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2017, 07:20:18 pm »

DECOKE DAVE..........just curiouswhy the strong desire to find your barrel number?

Because one cut from a key code is better than copying a worn key - although it has never caused me any problems in the past. I've got to admit that if I only get one key with the bike I always get a copy made within the first week.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2017, 08:09:30 pm »

DECOKE DAVE..........just curiouswhy the strong desire to find your barrel number?

Because one cut from a key code is better than copying a worn key - although it has never caused me any problems in the past. I've got to admit that if I only get one key with the bike I always get a copy made within the first week.

Same as that.

I have a set of keys for my bike Ignition and a seat/fuel key that I use whilst riding the bike, also in my bike jacket zipped pocket another pair of keys, just in case I inadvertently lose the riding keys while I am out.  :rolleyes

I once pushed the seat back into the locked position only to find that I had put my set of riding keys in the storage area along with the disk lock and key, I was so pleased that I had the spare set in my jacket pocket otherwise I would have been 22 miles from home no ignition key and the steering lock on.  :'(

The other set of bike keys are hanging on a peg in my home office along with my spare Van, Merc and Mrs Pug keys.     :lol

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2017, 12:39:45 pm »
Seriously, thanks for all the posts, all info and opinions are good food for thought! ;)