Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:21 pm

Author Topic: Future upgrade thoughts?  (Read 4619 times)

Kura

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Future upgrade thoughts?
« on: 10 December 2017, 05:23:25 pm »
I'm currently riding a FZS600 "00 pretty decent mileage for the age around 24k it's restricted however due to my license but I can sit my DAS in a months time, my thoughts are to either keep the bike once it's derestricted and clean it up a bit (new pipes/can/forks etc, the works) but would be an investment I wouldn't get back if I did eventually sell. I've been looking at Triumphs a lot recently the style of the bikes really speak to me, and I've been looking mostly at a Bonneville T120 or a Daytona 675R can anyone suggest other bikes to look at or give me good reasons to invest in my Fazer? I've been riding just under 2 years started out on a chinese learner bike Lexmoto ZSB 125 it was a cruiser style of bike but after riding the Fazer for a while now I'm leaning more towards Sportier styles.
Living life a corner at a time~

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Future upgrade thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2017, 07:07:03 pm »
Bonneville and Daytona are very very different to each other, and the Fazer. Bonneville a low powered upright naked. Daytona an out and out sportsbike. Fazer is an excellent mixture of the two styles. I would very much suggest derestricting the Fazer first and see if you like the extra power. Give it a few months, then decide.
BTW I've also got 2 Triumphs and they are nice :-)
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 07:08:40 pm by mtread »

Kura

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2017, 08:04:11 pm »
Bonneville and Daytona are very very different to each other, and the Fazer. Bonneville a low powered upright naked. Daytona an out and out sportsbike. Fazer is an excellent mixture of the two styles. I would very much suggest derestricting the Fazer first and see if you like the extra power. Give it a few months, then decide.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to try both out, for now I'll see how I like the fazer once it's derestricted. Any aftermarket seats you can suggest? The stock gets really uncomfortable on longer distance runs.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2017, 08:04:58 pm »
Best think of the Daytona as an out and out track bike, not comfortable much on the roads for distance/commuting etc. Bonneville a very much more relaxed ride. Chalk and cheese really. If I were a young gun, id jump at the daytona, but being a grumpy old twat, the bonnie is more suited. Have a look around for a compromise between the two. Or have both :)

Kura

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2017, 08:23:34 pm »
Best think of the Daytona as an out and out track bike, not comfortable much on the roads for distance/commuting etc. Bonneville a very much more relaxed ride. Chalk and cheese really. If I were a young gun, id jump at the daytona, but being a grumpy old twat, the bonnie is more suited. Have a look around for a compromise between the two. Or have both :)

I love everything about the fazer, maybe I could go for a newer gen but I'll see how it runs derestricted, my only gripes are the seat gets really uncomfortable after an hour or so of riding and it gets super vibratey around 6k rpm. The bonnie is a beautiful bike all the modern revamps are amazing from Triumph, but maybe I'd get bored of it too quick at my age. I'll check out local dealers see if I can get a test ride someday, being new to the biking culture it's crazy overwhelming with the amount of styles and opinions out there. I can see myself owning several bikes when I put on the years  :lol

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2017, 08:54:30 pm »
I'd get an insurance quote before deciding.
Rob

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2017, 09:00:08 pm »

Hopefully someday I'll be able to try both out, for now I'll see how I like the fazer once it's derestricted. Any aftermarket seats you can suggest? The stock gets really uncomfortable on longer distance runs.

Speak to Digger. He'll sort your seat out for you.
http://www.diggerseats.co.uk/Home.html
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2017, 09:33:15 pm »
I'd advise trying to ride as many other bikes as possible before you do anything. Try and get test rides, borrow mates bikes, whatever you can.
You sound like you don't know what you want and it can be expensive trying to find out with your own bike. The more stuff you ride the more you'll be able to narrow down the style of motorbike you enjoy most. There may be Something you dream of owning but hate once you ride it and same goes the other way round.
Also you'll be amazed how much difference the extra 20 odd horsepower will make once you're derestricted, that should tide you over for a few months.

Kura

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2017, 09:40:56 pm »
Sound advice, I'll wait till next year once I've been running around de-restricted for a while

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2017, 10:27:36 pm »
Kura what age are you? not being funny, nice bike as the Bonnie it is something you buy when you are 60+ If you are a young fella you will get bored with it.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2017, 11:28:50 pm »
Sound advice, I'll wait till next year once I've been running around de-restricted for a while

My buddy 'Wildplum' had a 2013 Bonny T140 Thruxton, lovely bike, but could not keep with my 2003 FZS 600, not on acceleration or top speed.
The handling of the Bonny was pretty amazing though.
The picture below is not Wildplum's Bonny but exactly the same model and colour scheme, cracking looking bike (If you like naked bikes)

If your looking for a quicker bike that an unrestricted FZS 600 the Bonny is not the way to go.

Foxeye Fazer FZS 600:

Maximum Power 93.7bhp / 61kW @ 9.500rpm
Maximum Torque 61Nm / 45ft lbs @ 9.500rpm
Top Speed 133-139mph Depending on who you believe
0-60mph in 3.8 seconds

2013 T140 Truxton Bonniville 900:
Maximum Power68bhp / 51kW @ 7400rpm
Maximum Torque69Nm / 51ft.lbs @ 5800rpm
Top Speed 126-132mph Depending on who you believe
0-60mph in 5 seconds.

The FZS 600 overall performs better, the T140 has a lot of grunt and is a beautiful looking machine, but I think the FZS 600 in any of its guises is a cracking looking retro machine and definitely make its owners smile, I still have my FZS 600, Wildplum sold his Thruxton.     
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 11:34:04 pm by tommyardin »

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2017, 06:48:09 am »
You're also likely to get bored riding the Bonneville if you're over 60. Looks great, dull ride....for a dull but quirky left of field ride I'd rather have an Indian Enfield at a fraction of the price.
when in doubt go flat out

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2017, 09:32:15 am »
You're also likely to get bored riding the Bonneville if you're over 60. Looks great, dull ride....for a dull but quirky left of field ride I'd rather have an Indian Enfield at a fraction of the price.

Well I am 71 and the Bonny would bore the f--k outta me  :eek
Oh! and the other thing about the bonny why Oh why did they put a seat on that is less comfortable than a park bench.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 09:41:24 am by tommyardin »

Kura

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2017, 11:05:30 am »
Kura what age are you? not being funny, nice bike as the Bonnie it is something you buy when you are 60+ If you are a young fella you will get bored with it.

Turning 24 in a month, then I can sit my DAS

Kura

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2017, 11:12:21 am »

My buddy 'Wildplum' had a 2013 Bonny T140 Thruxton, lovely bike, but could not keep with my 2003 FZS 600, not on acceleration or top speed.
The picture below is not Wildplum's Bonny but exactly the same model and colour scheme, cracking looking bike (If you like naked bikes)

If your looking for a quicker bike that an unrestricted FZS 600 the Bonny is not the way to go.

Foxeye Fazer FZS 600:

0-60mph in 3.8 seconds

0-60mph in 5 seconds.

The FZS 600 overall performs better, the T140 has a lot of grunt and is a beautiful looking machine, but I think the FZS 600 in any of its guises is a cracking looking retro machine and definitely make its owners smile, I still have my FZS 600, Wildplum sold his Thruxton.     

Both nice bikes, this is the Fazer I own It's the "00 model I've never ridden an unrestricted version so the anticipation of getting my DAS and de-restricting it is killing me

*Edit: I don't wan't to swap it for anything slower
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 11:13:22 am by Kura »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2017, 11:40:56 am »

Foxeye Fazer FZS 600:

0-60mph in 3.8 seconds

Kura, just for the sake of clarity Tommy has quoted the specs for a silver bike. The black version, yours and mine you will find will be much faster at 3.1 seconds. Instead of getting it de restricted you could try a blue FZS 600 as they are the slowest at 5.5 seconds     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2017, 12:02:00 pm »
Or he could just go out and get himself a nice Fazer 1000 of either generation and be done with it. 

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2017, 01:36:00 pm »
You might find the vibes at 6k are due to the restrictor. They all do it a bit, and the cure is to quickly progress to 7k.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2017, 01:45:40 pm »

Foxeye Fazer FZS 600:

0-60mph in 3.8 seconds

Kura, just for the sake of clarity Tommy has quoted the specs for a silver bike. The black version, yours and mine you will find will be much faster at 3.1 seconds. Instead of getting it de restricted you could try a blue FZS 600 as they are the slowest at 5.5 seconds   

:agree
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2017, 03:02:15 pm »

Foxeye Fazer FZS 600:

0-60mph in 3.8 seconds

:finger :moon :foc :thumbdown :nana :foc :thumbdown :finger :lol

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 December 2017, 07:12:14 pm »

Foxeye Fazer FZS 600:

0-60mph in 3.8 seconds

0-60mph in 5 seconds.

Both nice bikes, this is the Fazer I own It's the "00 model I've never ridden an unrestricted version so the anticipation of getting my DAS and de-restricting it is killing me

*Edit: I don't wan't to swap it for anything slower

Nice looking bike fella - i'm with the "keep it for a year" brigade. You can freshen up the bike subtly with clear insicator lenses, a change of screen maybe or a new can.

Also agree with Grayo on replacement seats - Dave at http://www.diggerseats.co.uk/Home.html will sort you out for about £130 exchange.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 December 2017, 10:58:18 pm »

Foxeye Fazer FZS 600:

0-60mph in 3.8 seconds

:finger :moon :foc :thumbdown :nana :foc :thumbdown :finger :lol

:rollin :rollin :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 December 2017, 11:14:10 am »

I would like to upgrade to a bmwyamahahondasusukinorton that drives itself, balances itself when stopped, uses very little petrol, keeps you dry in the wet, looks the bees knees and sounds fabulous, I can only dream.