Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:00 am

Author Topic: Prospective Gen2 owner asking for suspension details  (Read 2103 times)

nigelp

• Cager in Training
  • Ride it like you own it!
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZX9R E1
    • View Profile
Prospective Gen2 owner asking for suspension details
« on: 10 December 2017, 11:12:32 am »
I have been quietly lurking on the forum for quite a few years ahead of buying a Gen2 as a planned addition to the stable.(Yes I want a sporty bike that can take some luggage occasionally!) I am writing this note to determine what parts I need to acquire in order to have in stock the bits I need when I buy my bike.

Sadly I recently lost my best mate and riding buddy to cancer and I was shocked that he has left me his 2003 R1 which he owned from new and on which he spent ridiculous sums of cash. It comes with full Ohlins forks and rear shock which I intend to move over to the FZ1S Gen2 next spring. It also has a lovely Akrapovic system with Power Commander but I think that may be too difficult/impossible to move across.

I just need to understand what else I will need, the forks are 50mm it seems, the rear shock has a 300mm mounting gap from the top to bottom points which can be adjusted obviously slightly. These are being kept more for sentimental reasons but will make a huge difference I am sure. Given the R1 will fetch about the same as a Gen2 I can afford to spend a few drinking vouchers on the changeovers. I have the original forks and shock to put back on the bike.

Any advice welcome. Hope to meet up with any Essex or Southern based members next year.

If anyone wants to swap their low mileage Gen2 for a mint R1 drop me a line by all means.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Prospective Gen2 owner asking for suspension details
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2017, 12:46:29 pm »
I have been quietly lurking on the forum for quite a few years ahead of buying a Gen2 as a planned addition to the stable.(Yes I want a sporty bike that can take some luggage occasionally!) I am writing this note to determine what parts I need to acquire in order to have in stock the bits I need when I buy my bike.

Sadly I recently lost my best mate and riding buddy to cancer and I was shocked that he has left me his 2003 R1 which he owned from new and on which he spent ridiculous sums of cash. It comes with full Ohlins forks and rear shock which I intend to move over to the FZ1S Gen2 next spring. It also has a lovely Akrapovic system with Power Commander but I think that may be too difficult/impossible to move across.

I just need to understand what else I will need, the forks are 50mm it seems, the rear shock has a 300mm mounting gap from the top to bottom points which can be adjusted obviously slightly. These are being kept more for sentimental reasons but will make a huge difference I am sure. Given the R1 will fetch about the same as a Gen2 I can afford to spend a few drinking vouchers on the changeovers. I have the original forks and shock to put back on the bike.

Any advice welcome. Hope to meet up with any Essex or Southern based members next year.

If anyone wants to swap their low mileage Gen2 for a mint R1 drop me a line by all means.

wow.....what a kind ,generous gesture . Bought a tear to my eye....

my advice ..........keep the R1.....friends , memories and gestures like that dont come along to often...a true friend indeed...RIP

One, is never going to be enough.....

nigelp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZX9R E1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2017, 02:27:14 pm »
Red

Thanks for your thoughts and sentiment. All I can say is that objects don't bring people back, nor do they replace them when they are gone. I have a garage full of his tools, many books and other motoring bits, and many other biking bits, so the R1 would be a waste just standing in the garage and he would not have wanted that. I totally get your process, but having known him for 35 years I won't ever need reminding about his loss! It is impossible to walk into my garage and not see things of his anyway, tool cabinets and loads of other bits.

Leaving the R1 as an unused memorial is not what I want to do; I would rather be out on a bike in his memory and using it regularly. I have long planned buying an FZ1S anyway, so using some of the best bits from his bike is my solution. Nothing can bring him back sadly, but using some of his gear and a few parts on my bike is as good  a memorial as I can manage.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 02:30:23 pm by nigelp »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2017, 04:33:04 pm »
Fully understand nigel , ive not come accross that sort of thing before , everything usually going to next of kin , but iam guessing with the  cancer he knew what was to come and made arrangements for you to have his R1....must have been great friends...

this topic came up the other day with mrs red.....saying she didnt have a clue what my bikes are worth and she would sell the lot  for what I told her I paid for them...if only she new the real value   ;)

not made a will but parhaps i should start thinking it  , i still have my fathers car who i sadly lost over 30 yrs ago , a keeper for sure which will go to my son , no interest in bikes at the moment but iam still working on that   ;)

cant help you with any gen2 help as iam a far superior gen 1 owner   :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2017, 05:18:25 pm »
Say no more
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 05:19:02 pm by tommyardin »

nigelp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZX9R E1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2017, 06:10:24 pm »
We all have that one tucked away. But I can honestly say that his missus has always been 100% with him spending anything n his bike and cars. Believe me, he took full advantage of that support but she has never given anything than 100% support and was the one who broke the news to me about the R1 after he passed.

Most difficult ride of my life bringing the R1 home!

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2017, 09:02:48 pm »
Rear shock isn't a straightforward swap- the reservoir fouls the battery box. Google satan666 shock adapter for details.
I'd keep the R1 as it is!
Rob

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2017, 11:51:15 pm »
Think I agree with Rob but then who gives a flying f--k what I think lol.

You gotta do yer own thang pal, but it sounds to me like your buddy got the R1 the way he wanted it, and, he also wanted you to have it, knowing that you would treasure and look after it.  :tape :'( :2guns :look

If you asset strip it I hope you can sleep at night   :pokefun

« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 11:51:46 pm by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2017, 11:54:51 pm »
That's me being serious.

It doesn't happen very often, but that's my thoughts on it.
Thank you and good night.   

ptolemyx

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Busa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2017, 06:58:54 am »
I don't want to seem insensitive but being pragmatic you might consider selling the R1, sounds like you'd get top dollar. Invest the proceeds in parts specific to the Fazer you intend having. Dare I say it the R1 suspension will have been set up for an R1 not a Fazer.
when in doubt go flat out

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2017, 04:03:43 pm »
Unfortunately I don't think you'll have an easy time trying to fit parts from a 2003 R1 to a Gen2 Fazer. It sounds like neither you or your mate would be particularly precious about you keeping the R1, so I think like others have said you'd be better off selling the R1 and using it to get a bike that would suit you better knowing that your mate helped you achieve this through his generosity. Maybe you could try selling it locally so you still get the chance to see it now and again.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 04:04:28 pm by PieEater »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2017, 09:45:19 pm »
What an awesome friend. I can imagine that the bike is quite bittersweet as it's a constant reminder of the fact he's gone. Anyway my condolences.
On the subject of the R1, I'm not sure of the value etc but might be worth sticking up for swap. Seeing if someone wants a straight swap for a Fazer 1000 or possibly something else to your liking?